Burger flipping

So, the old joke…

You can earn more flipping burgers than driving lorries is nearly a reality.

“The Bakers, Food and Allied Workers Union (BFAWU) said staff wanted secure working hours and a £10 per hour wage.”

bbc.co.uk/news/business-40982955

There’s no way an 18 yr old burger flipper is going to earn £10 per hour now is there.

they deserve ten pounds an hour

6 months down the line they’ll be wanting more as they’ll be wondering where the extra £ went, its pretty incredible people can think burger flipping is worth anything but minimum wage.

chrisdalott:
they deserve ten pounds an hour

No, they do not.

A.

everybody deserves 10 an hour. the whole country needs a pay rise

chrisdalott:

come off it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And I suppose you expect companies to absorb the cost of that rise? or would it be passed down to the you and me the consumer/customer I wonder :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

chrisdalott:
everybody deserves 10 an hour

Some should be grateful they’re getting minimum wage.

chrisdalott:

Everyone?

I’m hoping the chap carrying out my operation this week is on a tad more than that… don’t want some DH on minimum brain hacking at mi… :smiley:

I’d vote for wages to be paid based on the individuals IQ…

Jingle Jon:

chrisdalott:

Everyone?

I’m hoping the chap carrying out my operation this week is on a tad more than that… don’t want some DH on minimum brain hacking at mi… :smiley:

Are you having a brain put back in?

maga:
6 months down the line they’ll be wanting more as they’ll be wondering where the extra £ went, its pretty incredible people can think burger flipping is worth anything but minimum wage.

What makes truck driving worth 10£ an hour, they are only driving not exactly a real skill is it.

Jingle Jon:

I would say based on a persons skill rather than IQ, there are some who have a very high IQ who may have no idea of their job. Driving is not a job that requires a high IQ therefore we would all be on minimum wage on that basis, other than myself of course.

discoman:
What makes truck driving worth 10£ an hour, they are only driving not exactly a real skill is it.

You could debate 'till the cows come home whether driving is a skill or not. My personal take is that anything from plastering to open heart surgery if done well first time every time is a skill not merely good luck. You’ll get no arguments from me if you point out that daily in our line of work we see drivers hitting bridges, running into stationary traffic etc. What we tend to overlook though are the many, many lorry drivers who daily carry out their duties with no fuss, drama or incidents, and that I would argue is in fact a skill and should be rewarded as such.

the maoster:
You could debate 'till the cows come home whether driving is a skill or not. My personal take is that anything from plastering to open heart surgery if done well first time every time is a skill not merely good luck. You’ll get no arguments from me if you point out that daily in our line of work we see drivers hitting bridges, running into stationary traffic etc. What we tend to overlook though are the many, many lorry drivers who daily carry out their duties with no fuss, drama or incidents, and that I would argue is in fact a skill and should be rewarded as such.

As said in my post above, I agree totally

Jingle Jon:

I dont think you of all people really want that to become a policy

A point I made on the fridge scientist post was that many jobs pay less than we’d think.
I earn more than my wife who’s a primary school teacher. More than a fireman and a paramedic or nurse.
Make of that what you will.
When I first started work when everything was in black and white, my dad was the wages clerk. Blokes in the warehouse earned about 15k and we’re on good money. They all assumed and couldn’t be convinced otherwise that my dad earned less than 10k. They thought he must be on 25k plus.

sent using smoke signals

Jingle Jon:

chrisdalott:

Everyone?

sorry that was unclear, i mean everyone deserves at least a tenner an hour

you know what i mean :smiley:

The-Snowman:

Jingle Jon:

I dont think you of all people really want that to become a policy

:laughing:

You can see by reading this thread that society has become very selfish. The minimum wage should be at least £10 p/h.
The more a persons wage, the more is ploughed back into the economy and the less reliant they are on benefits.
Instead of judging people on what their worth, you should be congratulating them and hoping they succeed. If they do, it will benefit us all.