Missing 'blind spot' mirror

Hello all.

As you can see I am an infrequent poster (thank God say you).

I only drive part time now. A couple of days ago, I did a job for an agency. The vehicle I drove had a missing nearside ‘blind spot’ mirror. i.e: the mirror was completely missing from its housing (above the main nearside mirror).

I have searched the forum but cant find a definite answer to my question: Is the vehicle legal to drive or not, without the missing mirror? Although, so far as I can see, the regulations state that only 2 mirrors are mandatory on a lorry, one near and one offside, personally I would have thought, if the vehicle was designed and built with such a mirror, and the mirror was now missing, the answer must be that it is not legal to drive.

On a humorous note, I tried calling one of the gov.co.uk numbers for an answer to my query. After keeping me on the phone for a long time, the woman I spoke to told me that a lorry was legal to drive without any nearside mirrors at all :exclamation:

Was it not fitted?
Or was the bracket in place but the mirror lens was missing ie: ripped off?

I would say that if it was originally fitted with that mirror then not having it would be an annual test or roadside check failure, so therefore the truck shouldn’t be taken on the road until it’s fixed.

I think what you’re talking about is a Class V mirror, and this was about all I can find on legislation for them.

http://www.transrescue.com/Retrofitting_20compliance_20guide.pdf

peirre:
Was it not fitted?
Or was the bracket in place but the mirror lens was missing ie: ripped off?

The bracket was there (same bracket as the main mirror) but the entire mirror lens missing.

If going in to London yes

tfl.gov.uk/info-for/deliveries- … rry-scheme

muckles:
I would say that if it was originally fitted with that mirror then not having it would be an annual test or roadside check failure, so therefore the truck shouldn’t be taken on the road until it’s fixed.

I think what you’re talking about is a Class V mirror, and this was about all I can find on legislation for them.

http://www.transrescue.com/Retrofitting_20compliance_20guide.pdf

…so therefore the truck shouldn’t be taken on the road until it’s fixed.

I agree

Side issue: One of the 7.5t drivers at the same firm, told me that his rear number plate was damaged and secured to his truck by gorilla tape, likewise his 2 rear number plate light housings. He said this was because the tail lift was out of kilter, and it somehow clobbered the rear bar on the way down. Wondered what the legal position on this was?

The mirror, sure get a new one sorted.

As for the other driver, as long as the plate and lights are secure it’s fine, doesn’t really matter how it’s done.

Not 100% sure but I would have thought that providing the lights still worked and the reg numbers/letter were fully visible then that wouldn’t create too many issues till MOT time maybe, but could be mistaken …

must have been typing at the same time … :blush:

From experience I would not drive any truck without full rear vision but then trucks over here are far different from the real things you have in the UK, the main mirrors on each side are flat and not slightly concurve as they are back there, so wide angle mirrors are a must, not only that but we also have mirrors on the front wings to cover the blind spots and even then there are still blind spots. Did the mirror have an electric adjustment system ? Then at lest you could improvise.

Artic would be a no. Rigid I’d consider it but wouldn’t be driving a second time if it hadn’t been sorted.

fingermissing:
If going in to London yes

tfl.gov.uk/info-for/deliveries- … rry-scheme

One of our EXdrivers was told don’t leave depot till the front mirror fixed , he didn’t and a off duty copper pulled him and got DVSA out , they impounded truck till it was fixed but worst of all when they checked his card they found out the driver had been regularly pulling his card and driving for long periods with out it in :open_mouth:
He got 11 hours free use of a green bike lock and a p45 out of it next day

At the end of the day its YOUR LICENCE and you are responsible for the vehicle. If you got stopped and said the fitter, office bod or whoever said it was ok Vosa or Police would accept that? Doubt it.
Lets say god forbid you got into an accident and an important saftey feature on your vehicle was missing. How would that look for you regardless of blame

Few simple rules
Always cover your back. If your told no its fine. Ask for that in writing
Ultimately you are responsible for the vehicle you drive. If your not happy REFUSE

if your talking about the wee mirror thats above the door and not the main mirror,then surely it dont matter a toss if its there or not? id reckon anyone over here moaning about that would have their balls booted out the door…get real.they never used to exist,and is the law only for 1 on each side same as a car?