Hovis in Dagenham

Hello all

Has anyone worked Class 2 thru any agency at Hovis in Dagenham or indeed in any other part of the country? probably same operation in all of them.

They are offering a good rate, paye or ltd, flexible start times/day, evenings/early mornings etc, all sounds ok but they are always advertising for drivers so what is the real story?

Any info appreciatted, am tempted as i am fed up getting up at 5am…

Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Tony Res:

Don’t these guys start at 1-2am?

You’re thinking of working for a bread company and you’re fed up with getting up at 5am? I think it’s safe to say that if you get the gig you may find that 5am is probably halfway through your working day!

Edit to add; Mrgringe beat me to it. :wink: (he must’ve been up earlier)

the maoster:

Well i did get up early to get to work for 4am today only to find out the ferry is now tomorrow so it’s become a day on the sofa :laughing:

mrginge:

the maoster:

Well i did get up early to get to work for 4am today only to find out the ferry is now tomorrow so it’s become a day on the sofa :laughing:

Go careful posting pictures of your trucks online Mr G it never used to be allowed at your place !!

They are advertising starts from 14.30 onwards up to 12 hour shift.

In the past they have advertised 4am starts in the past…

Well observed gents, obviously i do not want the morning shifts but the late afternoon/evening shifts are of interest…

bald bloke:
Go careful posting pictures of your trucks online Mr G it never used to be allowed at your place !!

I had a look just now at our employee handbook and from what I can gather like other companies im not allowed to post confidential info. That’s how I have read it anyway, could be wrong! Like at my previous job, I could post to my hearts content as long as it wasn’t how much we charge customers per load or anything that could legally put them in doo doo.

Their own website has pictures of all the trailers they have made and a news section. If you google their name you see pictures of their trucks they have posted (Normally on location installing a trailer) and by those hobby types on motorway bridges.

Like I said though BB, I could be mistaken.

mrginge:

bald bloke:

I had a look just now at our employee handbook and from what I can gather like other companies im not allowed to post confidential info. That’s how I have read it anyway, could be wrong! Like at my previous job, I could post to my hearts content as long as it wasn’t how much we charge customers per load or anything that could legally put them in doo doo.

Their own website has pictures of all the trailers they have made and a news section. If you google their name you see pictures of their trucks they have posted (Normally on location installing a trailer) and by those hobby types on motorway bridges.

Like I said though BB, I could be mistaken.

I kind of helped a TNUK member get a job with your lot several years ago and I suggested he post some pictures or a diary etc on here as it’s a different line of work from your normal trucking job but he mentioned he wasn’t allowed to, just wouldn’t want you to get in the mire with the boss. The said member was either Daleboy or Daleyboy can’t recall now I don’t know if you’ve heard of him or he’s even there any more ?

Those bread type jobs are usually all the same.
good pay, but you work for it.
Warburtons was 33 grand for 7.5 tonne, 330 starts 25 jobs a day, no overtime, you finish when you finish.
I had a work colleague who was at Dagenham for a year or so, he said it was ok as those type of jobs go.

Cheers Groove…

Tony Res:
Hello all

Has anyone worked Class 2 thru any agency at Hovis in Dagenham or indeed in any other part of the country? probably same operation in all of them.

They are offering a good rate, paye or ltd, flexible start times/day, evenings/early mornings etc, all sounds ok but they are always advertising for drivers so what is the real story?

Thanks in advance

That’s a DHL site they run the Boots contract out of there to or did.

It’ll be multi drop watch where you park on delivery’s because you won’t get your fines paid :wink:

They’ll want you to get your delivery’s all done and on time via a pre planed delivery route, dropping off product and picking up empty wheels and baskets as you go.

Now you have to wonder why Hovis is employing agency if it’s such a good job :wink:
But then the kids go back to school soon and drivers that have been stood down throughout the holidays have found other work.

There are better jobs out there

Cheers for the useful info Nick, it is only the evening shifts that are attracting me, i dont expect the deliveries to be any fun as the will probably all be in built up areas but how hard can it be? its only racks of bread and it will smell great.

I would move on if i was forced to pay more than a couple of parking tickets especially if there werent justified…

Tony Res:
its only racks of bread and it will smell great.

I would move on if i was forced to pay more than a couple of parking tickets especially if there werent justified…

It’s only racks of bread :laughing: you’ll be surprised how heavy a basket of bread weighs when your stacking and pulling them off with a hook handle and the smell ain’t that great.
Dagenham is a DC, they don’t make product there as it’s brought in from all over including Avonmouth.
As for the tickets most jobs you’d be ok on once you sort out where your dropping

Tony Res:
but how hard can it be? its only racks of bread

When your wheels hit a pothole,and 12 trays tip over in a muddy goods yards,on a cold,dark,rainy night,you’ll find out how hard :wink: :wink: :wink:…been there,done that :blush: :imp: :unamused: :angry:

Just had a look on the Hovis site, more or less the same blurb for Avonmouth, Bradford, Chandlers Ford and Dagenham needing class 2 drivers, Bradford and Chandlers Ford say early starts, Avonmouth does say both day/ night and night/ day, Dagenham no times given at all.

It was suggested a few years ago that supermarket deliveries could be shifted to afternoon/ evening rather than early morning, that might be part of it, maybe a new (or regained) contract or two about to start. They downsized so much several years ago, closing down yards, moving to smaller ones, renting out part of the yard to the likes of DHL removed any capacity to grow the business again. Running 2 shifts using the available space and vehicles twice a day could be the only solution.

It’s a good line to get into if you fancy knee/ hip replacements later in life!

nick2008:

Tony Res:
its only racks of bread and it will smell great.

It’s only racks of bread :laughing: you’ll be surprised how heavy a basket of bread weighs when your stacking and pulling them off with a hook handle and the smell ain’t that great.
Dagenham is a DC, they don’t make product there as it’s brought in from all over including Avonmouth.
As for the tickets most jobs you’d be ok on once you sort out where your dropping

At the moment I hump round pallets of paper/drums of oil/building supplies/drums of cable/paint/chemicals, usually badly loaded by the night staff, the bread and its smell must be more attractive, also I only live a mile from Hovis lol…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Started there 4 weeks ago after the agency took a week to get their act together and another week to get an appointment for an assessment.

I start at 3pm doing bulk deliveries to dairies at £12.50 an hour PAYE, average 5 drops a night, average shift 10 hours, i am doing 4 days a week, Mon to Thurs, those hours really suit me so i am willing to put up with a certain amount of crap for that.

1st week went well, then went on a prebooked holiday for a week, came back and they decided to take away the wheels for loading/unloading cos so many are going missing.

That lasted 2 days but it was a hard 2 days loading/unloading manually, now you have to bring back the same amount of wheels you take out or more, if there are no wheels at the drop to swap over you have to unload on to the floor and take your wheels back, ag…

Gonna give it a while to see how it pans out.

The agency are always looking for Class 2 drivers to do the shop drops, starts from 2am till about 4am if anyone is interested.

Also Hovis looking to employ…

Usually early starts and w/end working due to 7 day shopping,shops want the fresh bread on the shelves ready for opening