V8 tippers?

So, coming back from Radstock yesterday I saw two tippers coming the other way along the A36 at Warminster - both Scanias which had V8 and 580 badges on them. They were R-type sleeper cabs. Are these a thing now or has someone just taken badges off another truck? Why does anyone need a V8 and a 580hp engine to haul 32 tonnes, even in that part of the country?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

They need that power to be able to come around corners at full speed, straddling the centre line, and knock oncoming trucks’ mirrors off…

I do believe I smell the stench of crippling jealousy that you don’t have a V8.

■■■■ it up.

A.

SH100998.JPGI occasionally drive this 730 in a mine,however we do load a ‘‘bit’’ more than road going trucks,50t.

More power = more loads in the day . Faster journey times mean they may be able to get an exrta load (or two) in every day . If your paid by the load it starts to make sence .

Doyle? The madman who runs show truck tippers and is putting a FH16 750 RIGID on the road? A tridem I think. His trucks really wouldn’t be my cup of tea but each to their own. I can’t begin to imagine how much work his drivers put in cleaning them

It’s not about the headline peak power figure.More like as much effortless torque output,from a lower stressed easy to maintain engine as possible,being as relevant at 32t gross as 44t.On that note big push rod V8,as opposed to smaller capacity OHC/CIH 6 cylinder,is arguably about as good as it gets and would certainly be my choice whether it’s a rigid or a 44 tonner.Although might as well go for a 620 or 730 and put a drawbar trailer on it in that case. :bulb:

You can always rely on Carryfast to over complicate a simple discussion. I very much doubt you’d go for a R730 rigid tipper if you knew how much they cost

beefy4605:
More power = more loads in the day . Faster journey times mean they may be able to get an exrta load (or two) in every day . If your paid by the load it starts to make sence .

You’ll need that extra load to compensate for the extra weight you can’t carry.

switchlogic:
You can always rely on Carryfast to over complicate a simple discussion. I very much doubt you’d go for a R730 rigid tipper if you knew how much they cost

But R580 tippers must cost an arm and a leg too. That’s why I wondered if they were real or just a case of someone nicking a badge (there’s a truck where I’m working now where someone’s stuck a V8 badge on, but it’s just a plain old R450).

switchlogic:

And then they have to pay £110 for every load of muck tipped at the place near me.

IndigoJo:

switchlogic:

But R580 tippers must cost an arm and a leg too. That’s why I wondered if they were real or just a case of someone nicking a badge (there’s a truck where I’m working now where someone’s stuck a V8 badge on, but it’s just a plain old R450).

I know someone who has put R500 V8 badges and a silly exhaust on a normal R cab…and couldn’t keep up with our CF360. :laughing:

switchlogic:

What’s the difference assuming it’s pulling a tipping trailer v an artic which is what I was actually referring to in that case ?.While the former obviously provides the flexibility of being able to haul two seperate loads for two different destinations or a much bigger full load,than a 32 tonner.

Which leaves the question of overall lifetime operating costs and residual value of the simple un stressed bullet proof V8 in whatever output spec,even at 32 t gross.Bearing in mind it doesn’t have to be a 620 let alone a 730.

That’s assuming we’re actually even discussing such a spec anyway as opposed to V8 badges being stuck on lesser spec wagons. :unamused:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

What’s the difference assuming it’s pulling a tipping trailer v an artic which is what I was actually referring to in that case ?.While the former obviously provides the flexibility of being able to haul two seperate loads for two different destinations or a much bigger full load,than a 32 tonner.

Which leaves the question of overall lifetime operating costs and residual value of the simple un stressed bullet proof V8 in whatever output spec,even at 32 t gross.Bearing in mind it doesn’t have to be a 620 let alone a 730.

That’s assuming we’re actually even discussing such a spec anyway as opposed to V8 badges being stuck on lesser spec wagons. :unamused:

I bet the pub empties every time you walk in !

Waiting to get on the boat last night, there was a Scania T Cab 730 tridem rigid(at least it had 730 badges on it) , and it had an additional subframe fitted upon the chassis. Yes it could be for a mobile crane, however it had a very short rear overhang - perhaps someone (Doyles?) are having a high-spec tipper?

Ed

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Doyle’s trucks don’t pull trailers. Very few drawbar tippers in this country. You even highlighted me saying ‘rigid tipper’. As for residual values, always found this a bit of a pointless justification, all that’s happening is you are getting back some (rarely all) of the extra £30/40k you forked out for a 730

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Doyle’s trucks don’t pull trailers. Very few drawbar tippers in this country. You even highlighted me saying ‘rigid tipper’. As for residual values, always found this a bit of a pointless justification, all that’s happening is you are getting back some (rarely all) of the extra £30/40k you forked out for a 730

In which case it’s obvious that I wasn’t actually referring to a 620 let alone a 730 for 32t gross operation. :confused: But as I said can still see the point in going for the lower output spec V8 in that case.As for residuals the point is you get back ‘proportionally’ more of the purchase costs not all of them and I can certainly understand the idea in paying more for a used V8 specced 32 tonner for the reasons I’ve given IE a torquey,unstressed,simple to maintain,pushrod motor.What’s not to like.

As for Doyle if they are speccing 730 32 tonners that’s up to them,they must see some point in it,possibly a company image thing ?.

Yull and Dodds ran a few years ago and there was a few boys running foden 4500 8 leggers when that was huge power if you can afford it why not.
As for Doyle’s motors they remind me of the inside of a travelers caravan money don’t buy class

This was quite a few years ago

This had a bit of power as well

switchlogic:

They do run artics, saw one this week with the usual Banksy drawings in the side with “Notorious” written on the front. Notorious for what I don’t know.