Night time road works killing me and it's gotta stop!

Guys all these road works are killing us and it just seems that the government are doing naff all about it.
Last night took me an extra 2 and a half hours to get to my destination and I weren’t down be there. The delays just occurred on the M1 for me and it’s just disgusting and getting worse!
Is anyone else feeling this too??

KarlO1985:
Guys all these road works are killing us and it just seems that the government are doing naff all about it.
Last night took me an extra 2 and a half hours to get to my destination and I weren’t down be there. The delays just occurred on the M1 for me and it’s just disgusting and getting worse!

ok well cancel all night time road works and switch them to daytime works when the roads has double the traffic on it compared to night time, even better lets just cancel all the roadworks all together and let them fall into a worse state then watch journey times quadruple

KarlO1985:

Instead of moaning on here get in touch with your MP and give him your ideas or suggestions on how or when to do roadworks so they don`t hinder your journey.
Sure the Highways people would love to hear any suggestions.
Hang on do them when your on holiday,but then they would have to notify you in advance in case work was going to delay your holiday.

They could of course actually do work, instead of taking several years to put a barrier, a few signs and a bit of paint on the road.

Another 2 years until the Knutsford embarrassment is completed? Clowns.

A.

Whilst I agree road maintenance/ improvements are a necessity I must say highways England couldn’t organise an ■■■■ in a brottle.

Prime example- M1 two weeks ago 11pm at medowhall down to 1 lane from 4 while some work was going on - fair enough. Do they really have to do the work the night there is a main event in at Sheffield arena? Outcome - M1 replicating the M25 at 2 o’clock on a Friday afternoon.

If they work on an arterial route why the hell do the feel the need to close the alternative route for maintenance on the same flamin night?

How does it take nearly 4 years to widen the A1 at scotch corner and still not complete? I won’t pretend to be any sort of construction expert because I’m not but ■■■■ me you could rebuild the whole bloody road in half that time!

Don’t even get me started about the A1 by the metro centre, two years to do that job and a week after it is completed a bloody sinkhole appears in the middle of the carriageway. Which incompetent nob surveyed and signed that job off?

M62 junction 29 - closed for 5 weeks to resurface the thing? 5 weeks!

Oh and seen as it was lashing down last night, did anyone see a member of highways England working? Because I didn’t, but then they don’t give a ■■■■ do they - because it’s you, me and our bosses paying for it.

No one likes to be held up with road works, however they are essential to keep the roads in a state of order, left alone with no maintenance we would end up with roads like they have in a third world country. Everyone else becomes an idiot or clown or doesn’t know what they are doing, just because you don’t understand this concept. The road works are annoying but I am sure the highways agency know better than you know when it comes to maintaining the roads. You see miles of cones and nothing happening and assume someone has simply coned off the road just to annoy you. There are some stupid people in this world but I doubt they are in charge of highway maintenance as some would imply. Perhaps it best to put a lorry driver in charge of highway maintenance as we quite obviously know better. There are a lot of other factors to consider other than that they are merely idiots & clowns.

■■■■ in a brottle
Weren’t that a song by The Police and I mean Sting and his mates not the uniformed type

The present road works between J1 and 2 on the M5 are a real pain, more so during the day as the work is going on 24/7.
I went down that way Sunday night, OK the 30 limit is not too bad as there was not much traffic.
Tipped Cardiff and Swansea, reload at Morton Valance, got back on the M5 at J12, good job I had a 45 at Strensham, as when I got towards J6, the traffic was slowing for the road works at J3-2!
Advice on the overheads was,“Traffic for M6, use M42”!
FFS, how far round is that?
I was still OK for driving time but getting short on duty time, took the decision to come off the M5 at J6 and run up the A449
for Kidderminster and Wolverhampton. Of course, every set of ■■■■■■■ traffic lights were on red!
Made it back to base two minutes short of 15 hours!

scotstrucker:

KarlO1985:

ok well cancel all night time road works and switch them to daytime works when the roads has double the traffic on it compared to night time, even better lets just cancel all the roadworks all together and let them fall into a worse state then watch journey times quadruple

Just listen for 2 mins! How about just doing 1 set of roadworks at a time instead of lining them up 1 after 1 up the m1! Get off your high horse! You are prob one of these who think they work you parasite!! We don’t have enough drivers hours to get ■■■■■■ about all the time and drivers can’t get home to they’re families! So let’s quit being pricks and try and find a solution yeah!

Personal attacks removed. Nearly a record, just joined, 2 posts and attracted the attention of the mods. Colingl

KarlO1985:

scotstrucker:

KarlO1985:

Just listen for 2 mins! How about just doing 1 set of roadworks at a time instead of lining them up 1 after 1 up the m1! Get off your high horse! You are prob one of these who think they work you parasite!! We don’t have enough drivers hours to get ■■■■■■ about all the time and drivers can’t get home to they’re families! So let’s quit being pricks and try and find a solution yeah!

Are you not sleeping enough then Karl?

I often wondered why we have so much in overnight coned-off roadworks in the first place?

Whatever happened to "If it’s broke, - fix it. If it ain’t broke - don’t even turn up and close that road!"

Miles and miles of coned-off 3 or 4 lanes down to one, queues of traffic tipped off the M1 at places like J16 (A whole new meaning to getting a Weedon!) and for what?
Just so they can do the same every few nights, no progress every seemingly made towards a road-work free Motorway network?

Let’s fix up our town roads first, country roads second, and only close the motorways and trunk roads down when they actually have something to be fixed!

They are getting worse. As said above they just seem to starting more and more without finishing the ones they have going already.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

scotstrucker:

KarlO1985:

Hhhmmm…lets see, sit all day in traffic or sit all night in roadworks, still not going anywhere. If they were fixing the roads it might not be such a bugbear but I’m still waiting to see an improvement.

And its not so much repairs that they’re actually doing…they’re “cutting the grass” and getting their “tinternet” sorted for their speed cameras.

highways.gov.uk/smart-motorways-programme/

KarlO1985:
So let’s quit being pricks

Bit of a hypocrisy for a man who namecalls in his second post on the site after joining. Glass houses mate.
Besides which, he had a point. Road works need to be done some time but I bet youre one of those who whinges about roadworks but also complains about the state of the roads. As long as the roadworks arent on your route though eh?
Incidently, Ive never failed to get back to my family due to roadwork delays. Maybe im just a better lorry driver than you

We all know about miles of coned off lanes when nobody seems to be working.
When we have the usual idiot car/lgv drivers, who think a few minutes delay is going to make a huge difference to their day, by leaving their lane change until the very last minute,Highways are only making sure those idiots are kept well away from their workforce.

KarlO1985:

scotstrucker:

KarlO1985:

Personal attacks removed. Nearly a record, just joined, 2 posts and attracted the attention of the mods. Colingl

In the 30 years i’v been driving i’v never not been able too get home because of roadworks, yes it can be annoying but it is what it is, the roads have too be repaired regardless.
nighttime has always been regarded as the quieter period for doing roadworks but on major routes like the m6 and m1 there will always be delays, it’s the nature of the beast.
as for me being a parasite thats your opinion but my advice too you would be if the hold ups in roadworks are stressing you out then maybe being a driver is not for you, maybe time too hang up the keys and find a less stressful job where there a no roadworks

Like every piece of infrastructure in this country, we go at it half arsed because nobody is prepared to spend how much it cost to get the job done properly. Yes men abound and every penny is pinched… then everyone is shocked and appalled when it overruns by miles and costs a ■■■■■■■ mint because of that.

Incredible buildings like the Shard can get built on time and on budget, with gangs of workers at it around the clock. If we would actually swallow the cost of doing motorway works properly, not only would we have less disruption but we’d also have better quality road at the end of it.

What’s that old saying? You can have the job done fast, cheap, properly. Pick any two options.

KarlO1985:

So you’re stuck in roadworks. So what!

Sit back and relax. You’re still getting paid whether you’re sitting in roadworks or thundering up the (insert road of choice here) at ■■ mph.
As you’re getting paid you just shrug your shoulders and get on with it. If your TM starts kicking up fuss, point him/her/it in the direction of the roadwords and ask what they expect you to do.

Don’t get stressed: turn up the radio, grab another coffee and just chill.

:smiley: :smiley:

It should be clear enough by now that it’s all part of a deliberate establishment agenda to make road transport in all it’s forms less attractive.Often to the point of creating months if not years of long term disruption both to install speed enforcement that reduces the motorway speed limit often to less than the single carriageway NSL.While at the same time putting in extra overtaking lanes. :unamused: On that note it’s reached the point where motorways are now more of a liability than an asset to road users.While at the same time robbing the tax payer and road using public by creating loads of unnecessary revenue making opportunities for the contractors and the enforcement agencies.Which is actually the plan. :bulb: