Stobarts tv show and bridge heights

Was just watching one of those stobarts trucks and trailers programs on tv and the narrator AND drivers kept on banging on about 16 foot being the max legal height and motorway bridges being 16 foot. Not 16’6. Both a car transporter driver and a clearly very experienced driver doing the plant side for stobart rail both were on tv with their measuring poles saying “I will not be taking this vehicle out of the yard if it’s over 16foot due to the motorway bridges”. Ermmm 16’6"?

Rowley010:
Was just watching one of those stobarts trucks and trailers programs on tv and the narrator AND drivers kept on banging on about 16 foot being the max legal height and motorway bridges being 16 foot. Not 16’6. Both a car transporter driver and a clearly very experienced driver doing the plant side for stobart rail both were on tv with their measuring poles saying “I will not be taking this vehicle out of the yard if it’s over 16foot due to the motorway bridges”. Ermmm 16’6"?

Are you sure? Usually it’s ‘a friend’ who watched the programme, and told ‘you’ about it…

Could be his next move after fridges

the nodding donkey:
Are you sure? Usually it’s ‘a friend’ who watched the programme, and told ‘you’ about it…

:laughing: :laughing: Brilliant, I like a laugh in the morning :smiley:

I’m more concerned that you were watching the stobart TV programme than them getting the bridge heights wrong. It wasn’t you it was your friend wasn’t it?

sent using smoke signals

It was on so thought I’d have a laugh at the things that only stobarts drivers can do and how much drama a blindside reverse into a space that’s 40ft wide is

Rowley010:

Perhaps an additional margin is required because cars sit on springs, and so the so-called “dynamic envelope” of the transporter may be somewhat higher than the 16foot measured stationary.

Used to do roof trusses and we was never allowed out over 16ft so I agree totally in what they are saying!

There is no maximum legal height limit in the UK, if you can get from A to B at 18 foot with out causing damage to over head structures, its good to go.

Never trust what it says on bridge heights,I went under a bridge at 14.2 when on the bridge the height said 14.6
Not a problem until the back end hit the bridge because the road started to incline before the back end was through.

weeto:
There is no maximum legal height limit in the UK, if you can get from A to B at 18 foot with out causing damage to over head structures, its good to go.

Well this is what I thought. No legal max height and anything not marked is at least 16’6" but these guys were going on about them not being legal at over 16’ and not being able to leave the yard at an inch over 16’. The plant driver got them to cut a pipe off because he was 16’2" with it and without the pipe was just under 16’. Now obviously if they’ve got a 16’ bridge on route then that’s different but they were saying it was due to motorway bridges

weeto:

Proved by the Scammonden M62 bridge, which is 120 feet.

Some of Comet’s double deckers were marked up at 16’ 5", made you wince a bit.

If any car transporters run over 16’ thats the driver doing it unofficially (or its a small outfit), some yards had beams across the exit, if you were over 16’ you were going nowhere.
Suspension bounce to be catered for, the bridge might be 16’6", but with soft air suspenders bounce could get it too close for comfort.

My favourite…“Chris/Bob/Dave whatever has reached the bottom of the M1 on 3 hours driving time. He has only 90 minutes to make his delivery point on time, will he make it?”
After the adverts, it was explained that his delivery point was at Wembley, and he managed the 4.5 miles with “a bit to spare, but it was looking close at one point”.
The driver then gave a thumbs up to camera, puffed out his chest and said something like “professional driver…you can’t beat the best”!

weeto:

Correct. 16’ is the industry standard company policy max height for transporters though. I think every hgv driver should invest in a measuring stick, especially if you drive a scania that rides about 6" above the stated trailer height.

Born Idle:
My favourite…“Chris/Bob/Dave whatever has reached the bottom of the M1 on 3 hours driving time. He has only 90 minutes to make his delivery point on time, will he make it?”
After the adverts, it was explained that his delivery point was at Wembley, and he managed the 4.5 miles with “a bit to spare, but it was looking close at one point”.
The driver then gave a thumbs up to camera, puffed out his chest and said something like “professional driver…you can’t beat the best”!

And that’s why I never have and never will watch it :

Rowley010:
It was on so thought I’d have a laugh at the things that only stobarts drivers can do and how much drama a blindside reverse into a space that’s 40ft wide is

yeah mate, whatever.jpg

Most of the royal mail deckers are 16’ 2".

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I guess Stobarts will have to stop pulling these then.

Terry T:
I guess Stobarts will have to stop pulling these then.

they usually get to about here,before they stop pulling them… :slight_smile:

105537-closed-motorists-were-asked-to-avoid-the-area-after-the-truck-got-stuck.jpg