Rugby truck stop. AVOID

Ok. My own fault. Should have seen the signs, and walked. But sometimes needs must, and I needed food, so I stopped at Stobarts Rugby truck stop.

After walking past the Stobarts fan club shop (Stobarts stick-on tattoos, I kid you not…) I decided to forsake the “all day breakfast”, and choose the appetising sounding Pepper and Lemon chicken, with potatoes and veg. Dear god, it must have taken some effort to screw up such a simple but tasty dish. The chicken was bone dry, and border line burned. The veg had seemingly been boiled since early yesterday… It nearly needed a spoon to eat the broccoli…

Today was one of those days where I miss tramping in my “own” truck, carrying all mod cons and being able to cook a decent meal myself, as and when I what/need or desire.

As for mixing a truck stop, where a driver can rest and get away from the day job for a bit, with an operating centre, a fan club shop, and an agency, and making it look and feel like an Aussie outback hospital,…

No, I won’t be returning.

I like to drive into there if only to see the look of disappointment on the faces of the social misfit/live with mum/ virgin in a kagoole wallopers outside the gates when they see it ain’t one of Eddies finest coming in as they grumpily lower the cameras and put away their notebooks.

the maoster:
I like to drive into there if only to see the look of disappointment on the faces of the social misfit/live with mum/ virgin in a kagoole wallopers outside the gates when they see it ain’t one of Eddies finest coming in as they grumpily lower the cameras and put away their notebooks.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: didn’t spot any of them today.

the nodding donkey:

the maoster:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: didn’t spot any of them today.

They all holiday this week.Need rest from hard job.

Mmm I smell ■■■■■■■■ , I’m always in there diesel ing up , nighting out ( though I do park in bottom Lorry park ) and in years and years I’ve never had a spotter come any where near me , they may well take pics but so what I don’t loose any sleep over it , as for
Shop do what I do get shower key and ■■■■ of , never felt the need to go looking round shop but every one to there own I guess .
Food is what it is , but what do you expect at £1.80 for a sausage sarnie , cup of tea :exclamation: :exclamation: instead of moaning go and make your feelings known , one of the tattooed heavily built women preferably , right hook might shut you up for good :exclamation:

dozy:
Mmm I smell [zb] , I’m always in there diesel ing up , nighting out ( though I do park in bottom Lorry park ) and in years and years I’ve never had a spotter come any where near me , they may well take pics but so what I don’t loose any sleep over it , as for
Shop do what I do get shower key and ■■■■ of , never felt the need to go looking round shop but every one to there own I guess .
Food is what it is , but what do you expect at £1.80 for a sausage sarnie , cup of tea :exclamation: :exclamation: instead of moaning go and make your feelings known , one of the tattooed heavily built women preferably , right hook might shut you up for good :exclamation:

We all know that Stobart drivers are easily pleased. I mistakenly assumed that the place was a truck stop, rather than a works canteen.

I found food at Appleton very good. Downside was different tables for drivers and office staff :open_mouth: don’t know if it’s still the same now.

I stay at Rugby far too often. Haven’t had the food tho. As for the social misfits / truck spotters… never seen any there.

There’s a few on TN though, fantasists racking up thousands of posts.

Know a lad who clocked some guy rubbing one off st the side of his truck in a layby. Long story short… he had a huge collection of truck pics in his possession.

the nodding donkey:
Ok. My own fault. Should have seen the signs, and walked. But sometimes needs must, and I needed food, so I stopped at Stobarts Rugby truck stop.

After walking past the Stobarts fan club shop (Stobarts stick-on tattoos, I kid you not…) I decided to forsake the “all day breakfast”, and choose the appetising sounding Pepper and Lemon chicken, with potatoes and veg. Dear god, it must have taken some effort to screw up such a simple but tasty dish. The chicken was bone dry, and border line burned. The veg had seemingly been boiled since early yesterday… It nearly needed a spoon to eat the broccoli…

Today was one of those days where I miss tramping in my “own” truck, carrying all mod cons and being able to cook a decent meal myself, as and when I what/need or desire.

As for mixing a truck stop, where a driver can rest and get away from the day job for a bit, with an operating centre, a fan club shop, and an agency, and making it look and feel like an Aussie outback hospital,…

No, I won’t be returning.

Typical Stobarts ND, they ■■■■ everything up, they’ve done the same at Carlisle Truckstop.
A mate of mine has parked there for years …since it belonged to Geoff Bell :open_mouth: , he says he won’t be going back, crap food and guys doing changeovers as noisy as possible. :unamused:
Wonder how many more regulars have kicked it into touch since they moved in.

It beggars belief how there are still people who admire Stobarts. You’ve just got to look at the border line ■■■■■■ limp along mongs they employ to see they’ll take anyone. Infact I’d be amazed if they’ve got any English drivers left.

$$$:
It beggars belief how there are still people who admire Stobarts. You’ve just got to look at the border line ■■■■■■ limp along mongs they employ to see they’ll take anyone. Infact I’d be amazed if they’ve got any English drivers left.

That is a typical reply from somebody who has no actual knowledge, but who simply regurgitates any clap trap just for a reaction.

There are plenty of English drivers who work for Stobarts, and plenty of them get through their days without drama (dozy being a notable exemption :slight_smile: ). Yes, they have a lot of foreign drivers, and a lot of those have limited English, but again, many of them do get through the day without drama.
The stobart fleet is in better nick than Downton’s…

The Stobart company is a different matter. Undercutting all and everything, then running it into the ground.

the nodding donkey:

$$$:

That is a typical reply from somebody who has no actual knowledge, but who simply regurgitates any clap trap just for a reaction.

There are plenty of English drivers who work for Stobarts, and plenty of them get through their days without drama (dozy being a notable exemption :slight_smile: ). Yes, they have a lot of foreign drivers, and a lot of those have limited English, but again, many of them do get through the day without drama.

The Stobart company is a different matter. Undercutting all and everything, then running it into the ground.

I would of thought this is the same for any of the large companies.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

the nodding donkey:

$$$:

Come off it mate. There is absolutely no reason why any driver who is of average intelligence would work for them.

El Deano:

the nodding donkey:

$$$:

I would of thought this is the same for any of the large companies.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yip, serious selection at the larger firms ‘went out the window’ years ago and stobies is no different.

They’ve got their fair share of mongs, but they’ve also got a lot of good people there too.

Seemingly though… the company is ill-disposed to sending drivers on jobs for which they should be trained… without that training. That should be criminal.

Rugby truckstop was a dirty hole 15 -20 years ago when BP were "running " it and I use that term very losley.
I haven’t seen anything in the last 15 years to make me change my mind on it . Might have a new sign out front but I’d say thats about it .

Post by $$$ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:07 pm

got to agree with $$$, did 2 days work for them out or rugby truck stop depot, mainly full of dirty ee drivers who could hardly speak English, as for the office staff, what a bunch off bankers :imp:

The work was easy, trucks was not looked after inside, but 10 minute clean sorted that out but it was the office staff you wanted to punch

wont be going back there again in a hurry

Aah for the good old days when it was the Rendezvous!

Steve

elsa Lad:

got to agree with $$$, did 2 days work for them out or rugby truck stop depot, mainly full of dirty ee drivers who could hardly speak English, as for the office staff, what a bunch off bankers :imp:

The work was easy, trucks was not looked after inside, but 10 minute clean sorted that out but it was the office staff you wanted to punch

In fairness, I can confirm that Rugby depot is indeed vast majority EE drivers.

$$$:

the nodding donkey:

$$$:

Come off it mate. There is absolutely no reason why any driver who is of average intelligence would work for them.

Speaking as somebody who has no love for Stobarts, and would not work for them myself, I think you’re generalising a bit there mate.
I know 3 lads who have been there 20+ years, all good lads and ‘proper drivers’, and I would say well above the ‘average intelligence’ you mention.
One fell out with one part of the co because the truck he lived in all week, and looked after, was returned to him after the weekend totally minging.
He left, and tried somewhere else for a time, but found he preferred Stobarts, and started on the Biomass job which he loves.

So yeh they’ve got their share of ■■■■■, (one of which who left me hanging in the centre lane like a spare wotsit after I let him out on Sat morning :unamused: ) but I would think most of them are just run of the mill decent lads tbf.

eagerbeaver:

elsa Lad:

In fairness, I can confirm that Rugby depot is indeed vast majority EE drivers.

Most full time in Stobart definitely English man.Most agency from EE.I think simply English prefer full time because have mortgate,family here.But most young EE prefer agency because can taked more holiday .But money very close in full time or agency job.