Tailgating

Next you you tailgate think about it carefully

commercialmotor.com/news/com … 7C_News_CM

Thats what happens one stupid action opens up a whole can of worms,■■■■■■■ idiots.

Good !

Great! Now maybe they can stop car drivers cutting in too? Or are they not part of the problem? I’m in favour of dealing with issues like this but it’s all too easy it seems to dig out the trucker and only the trucker…

Didn’t read the whole article in depth but it sounded like the tailgating issue was a small part with loading of tachograph offences too.

sent using smoke signals

what is the definition ? being within the 2 second rule and if so for how long ?

I broadly welcome it, there’s a lot of idiots driving. I don’t think it is such a big deal when one wagon tailgates another, if you want to sit in a little squishie cab stupidly close to 44 ton with 36 ton pushing you from behind, then go ahead and fill your boots, you very well might. But tailgating little cars when that car can’t go anywhere as there is a truck in front of them is just unacceptable.

Bluey Circles:
what is the definition ? being within the 2 second rule and if so for how long ?

I broadly welcome it, there’s a lot of idiots driving. I don’t think it is such a big deal when one wagon tailgates another, if you want to sit in a little squishie cab stupidly close to 44 ton with 36 ton pushing you from behind, then go ahead and fill your boots, you very well might. But tailgating little cars when that car can’t go anywhere as there is a truck in front of them is just unacceptable.

:unamused:

youtube.com/watch?v=t0hK1wyrrAU

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149040

:slight_smile:

TiredAndEmotional:

Bluey Circles:

yes, i think I could have worded that better. when two vehicles of the same weight are involved I don’t think the dangers posed to the one in front are considerable, yes there are still dangers and it is unpleasant but it has never been something that has scared me. But when one vehicle is 44x heavier than the one in front, then I think the dangers to the smaller vehicle are considerable and if that driver is penalised then good, it serves him right.

I think the other thread you mention proves the point, the wagon the puddlejumper hit does not appear unduly damaged, and had he been in a car not a 7.5 then he would probably now be in hospital - do we know what ran into the back of him ?

Bluey Circles:

TiredAndEmotional:

Bluey Circles:

yes, i think I could have worded that better. when two vehicles of the same weight are involved I don’t think the dangers posed to the one in front are considerable, yes there are still dangers and it is unpleasant but it has never been something that has scared me. But when one vehicle is 44x heavier than the one in front, then I think the dangers to the smaller vehicle are considerable and if that driver is penalised then good, it serves him right.

I think the other thread you mention proves the point, the wagon the puddlejumper hit does not appear unduly damaged, and had he been in a car not a 7.5 then he would probably now be in hospital - do we know what ran into the back of him ?

I think you should consider handing your licence back in. You’re ideas are just bloody dangerous.

TiredAndEmotional:
I think you should consider handing your licence back in. You’re ideas are just bloody dangerous.

could you explain your reason why you think what I have said is dangerous ?

I have clearly said all tailgating is dangerous, but some forms of tailgating are considerably more dangerous than others. I really don’t get what your problem is with what I have said, so please explain, spell it out for me.

Bluey Circles:

The 2 second rule is this
On the road pick a point say a bridge or road sign as the vehicle in front passed it before you get to the landmark you should be able to say " only a fool breaks the 2 second rule " if you pass the landmark before you’ve said it your two close! Bad weather double it by adding am I the fool to break the 2 second rule.

Obviously there will be debate about fully freighted and empty truck stopping distances but there is the theory

The two second rule at 56 is probably 100 metres and in real terms that space would be filled by half a dozen vehicles.

sent using smoke signals

mick.mh2racing:
The two second rule at 56 is probably 100 metres and in real terms that space would be filled by half a dozen vehicles.

sent using smoke signals

At 56 mph 100 metres is 4 seconds. (82 ft/sec x 4 =328ft =100 metres)

mick.mh2racing:

sent using smoke signals

56mph is 25metres per second so basically 50metres in 2 seconds. white lines painted on the NSL roads are centred at 9 metres so you should always have five of these in view - as you say leave a gap like that on a motorway or dual and someone will fill it, most people on the roads are often well within the 2 second rule.

So if they are going to start penalising us with tailgating, the please could we have a definition?
I think we all know it when we see it, but the law generally does not prosecute for motor offences on mere opinion.

We all know what tailgating is, how many of us have felt quite sorry for, and been very glad it wasn’t us, when some half wit sitting in a lorry seat is rammed right up the arse of a car at speed, not just for the few seconds some equally half witted car driver has put themselves in harms way either, but we’ve seen lorries driven for miles with a ridiculously close gap to the vehicle in front.

As for car and other vehicle drivers not keeping their distance or putting themselves in harms way, well they aint claiming to be (underpaid undervalued) professional drivers like so many here seem to think themselves, i don’t expect any of us could perform the jobs those car drivers do to an equivalent skill set as they do, so why do we expect them to be as practiced as us at driving?