HGV Medicals, Cambridge

Time to renew my entitlement although Im not driving HGV any longer. My GP wants £120 for the medical. I just wondered if anyone knows or has used anyone cheaper in the Cambridge area? Cheers in advance for any replies. :wink:

£50…

d4medicals.com/

There are quite a few companies doing this now. I used this lot this time, local to me and at a time that suited… no problems.

As well as…

gettingamedical.co.uk/

When does it expire :question: because if not for a few weeks and not had a licence issued after October 2012 then its worth changing the photo to get the FREE 5 years :bulb:

ROG:
When does it expire :question: because if not for a few weeks and not had a licence issued after October 2012 then its worth changing the photo to get the FREE 5 years :bulb:

Correct but…

Make your photo renewal application WELL before the medical forms get sent out from the DVLA.

I’d give it two months ahead.

Once those forms have been sent, you have to do the medical.

I personally do not agree with cheap medicals, a £50 medical of which you are virtually doing the medical yourself in answering questions about your health, of which you may decide to choose to hide. You are been charged to have your blood pressure checked and your eye test performed. That is the sum total of a £50 medical. Your own doctor may well charge £120 but he should have your medical records and quite frankly I am surprised that the DVLA accept medical forms from anyone other than your own GP. Reason being that you cannot simply tell your own GP that you have never suffered from any of the listed ailments so easily. The medical would be more realistic and factual than a doctor whom you have never seen before and has none of your medical records at hand. Thus a rubber stamp is applied to say your fit and well. Perhaps we may see a change in the future.

UKtramp:
I personally do not agree with cheap medicals, a £50 medical of which you are virtually doing the medical yourself in answering questions about your health, of which you may decide to choose to hide. You are been charged to have your blood pressure checked and your eye test performed. That is the sum total of a £50 medical. Your own doctor may well charge £120 but he should have your medical records and quite frankly I am surprised that the DVLA accept medical forms from anyone other than your own GP. Reason being that you cannot simply tell your own GP that you have never suffered from any of the listed ailments so easily. The medical would be more realistic and factual than a doctor whom you have never seen before and has none of your medical records at hand. Thus a rubber stamp is applied to say your fit and well. Perhaps we may see a change in the future.

I personally don’t agree with paying my quack £120 for a few minutes work and a rubber stamp at a time that is inconvenient to say the least…

ROG:

It expired in February! Turned 55. Just one of those things I kept forgetting to get around to doing. Some good points made. £50 is cheap and it gets the job done. £120 is a expensive but my GP would know any disqualify medical history, of which there is none. Thanks for the suggestions “Yourhavingalarf”, I will check them out.

UKtramp:

£120 for a medical which takes 20 minutes at most is an indication of how greedy doctors have become, they are right up there with solicitors nowadays, and if it is possible to avoid their rip-off fees for HGV medicals then what person in their right mind wouldn’t do that?

If GPs had a compulsory max price of perhaps 50/60 quid for doing D4 medicals then more would go to them so its up to the Govt to do what you suggest Harry

I find these are ok fit2drivemedicals.co.uk/driv … -england/4

The fee from your own GP is high in comparison to a fee charged by a Dr that is only rubber stamping your paper good or bad. My stance is that only your own GP should be in a position to declare you fit to the DVLA to issue you a HGV licence. The fee is a separate issue that could be standardised at a more reasonable cost. However in the great scheme of things, I don’t agree that obtaining a HGV licence from a training establishment should cost what it does. I have heard fees of 5k bounded about.

UKtramp:
The fee from your own GP is high in comparison to a fee charged by a Dr that is only rubber stamping your paper good or bad. My stance is that only your own GP should be in a position to declare you fit to the DVLA to issue you a HGV licence. The fee is a separate issue that could be standardised at a more reasonable cost. However in the great scheme of things, I don’t agree that obtaining a HGV licence from a training establishment should cost what it does. I have heard fees of 5k bounded about.

My ex is a nurse and when she has to complete a course, or undertake some task in order to allow her to keep her registration, then she doesn’t have to pay for it, and in fact she gets paid for doing it. The medical fee, like the DCPC is simply a tax on our job.

Harry I agree with you 100% on the fee business, however my main concern is that of the moral and unethical ground that the DVLA allow the medical to be carried out away from your own GP and by a Dr who has no medical records & history available to them to make that decision.

UKtramp:

You might need to see your doctor, if you fall off that high horse, your on.

biggriffin:

You mean the high horse that you have put me on? I am sorry should I dumb myself down a bit to fit in with you?

UKtramp:

biggriffin:

You mean the high horse that you have put me on? I am sorry should I dumb myself down a bit to fit in with you?

By what I read on here the job has been dumded down to accommodate people, so I fit in well, and doff my Burberry cap to my lord tramp, I know my place.

biggriffin:
[

By what I read on here the job has been dumded down to accommodate people, so I fit in well, and doff my Burberry cap to my lord tramp, I know my place.

I am only messing with you, I know you can take it without throwing a hissy fit. :smiley:

UKtramp:

biggriffin:
[

I am only messing with you, I know you can take it without throwing a hissy fit. :smiley:

I accept that my lord, and will not seek retribution on the field of combat.

biggriffin:
I accept that my lord, and will not seek retribution on the field of combat.

I always enjoy and look forward to a battle with a worthy opponent. I can tell from your style of writing you are that man.