When to turn the fridge off

After you’ve backed onto a bay do you turn the fridge off or do you leave it running while they tip you?

Rowley010:
After you’ve backed onto a bay do you turn the fridge off or do you leave it running while they tip you?

I leave it running especially if they are re loading me. Also depends on the temp your set at, ambient or -3 it doesn’t really matter. but if your frozen and backed onto a ambient bay, you are as well switching it off as you will just create fog and ice builds up quicker. Once the doors are shut turn it back on.

Up to the customer, some want it off some want it on

When one parks next to you at night on the truck park. :grimacing: . :laughing:

I’m joking, I’m joking. :unamused:

As Switchlogic says - its up to the customer and they get what they want .On or off its their product their call .

I was always told that if the fridge doors are open and the fridge is running its blowing cold air out the back doors and sucking in warm air .
Run the fridge down to temperature before loading , switch it off and load , switch it back on when loaded and the doors closed . Switch it off when unloading .

If your at -18 and leave it running on an ambient bay, you are creating problems, plus the air blowing is doing nothing for the product as the core temp of the meat is totally unaffected for a few hours. You will build ice up in the evaporator which will go into defrost and warm air is released whilst defrosting. Even though the fan cuts out you are no longer cooling anyway. With the doors open onto an ambient bay all you are doing is trying to cool the bay down and wasting both diesel and energy. Its the customers call on their product but that call is usually if they want the fridge to run on auto or constant whilst on the move. The product core temperature is the important factor.

+1.
If you leave the fridge on whilst loading and unloading especially frozen loads the coils will freeze up and then it’s hard to get to the required temperature. After the fridge is switched on and the doors are closed this is when the defrost button should be used to clear the build up of ice and the fridge shouldn’t struggle to reach temp.

beefy4605:
As Switchlogic says - its up to the customer and they get what they want .On or off its their product their call .

I was always told that if the fridge doors are open and the fridge is running its blowing cold air out the back doors and sucking in warm air .
Run the fridge down to temperature before loading , switch it off and load , switch it back on when loaded and the doors closed . Switch it off when unloading .

Correct.

Always check what company is, our is below.

Once on bay, then fridge off, hand keys in, wait 1 hour, still not unloaded, phone office , it’s now not your problem. Always ring traffic office after 1 hour.

I always ask them.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I run all frozen stuff so generally the fridge gets left on at most places. I always ask when at a new place if they want it on or off, always better to leave it running until told you ask or you’re told switch off!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricky 21 Jan:
I run all frozen stuff so generally the fridge gets left on at most places. I always ask when at a new place if they want it on or off, always better to leave it running until told you ask or you’re told switch off!!

Totally wrong, sorry but if your delivering frozen this way and always leave it on, your going to overwork the fridge and at the same time ice up your evaporator then initiating a defrost when fully loaded. I am always surprised at the lack of training that drivers get with fridges and lack of understanding basic principles of refrigeration. Not having a pop at you M8 as you obviously have had very minimal training in fridges like the majority who pull them.

UKtramp:

Tricky 21 Jan:

Totally wrong, sorry but if your delivering frozen this way and always leave it on, your going to overwork the fridge and at the same time ice up your evaporator then initiating a defrost when fully loaded. I am always surprised at the lack of training that drivers get with fridges and lack of understanding basic principles of refrigeration. Not having a pop at you M8 as you obviously have had very minimal training in fridges like the majority who pull them.

I’ve been driving hgv’s well over a year now, and been around fridge trailers for most of my life! I’m still learning and happily taking advice from all around! Best way IMO!

My reply was a bit vague sorry!
RDC’s and places like Bidvest where the bays are sealed and I go quite regular the fridges get left on, if its an open bay or having to pump truck pallets to the back door then the fridge will go off. Company rules are fridge gets left on whilst being unloaded.

I agree that training on the running of the fridge no matter what its set for should be a standard basic. My company has no fridge training other than; on and off buttons and check it is set for -22. Thats it!

Tricky 21 Jan:
I’ve been driving hgv’s well over a year now, and been around fridge trailers for most of my life! I’m still learning and happily taking advice from all around! Best way IMO!

RDC’s and places like Bidvest where the bays are sealed and I go quite regular the fridges get left on, if its an open bay or having to pump truck pallets to the back door then the fridge will go off. Company rules are fridge gets left on whilst being unloaded.

I agree that training on the running of the fridge no matter what its set for should be a standard basic. My company has no fridge training other than; on and off buttons and check it is set for -22. Thats it!

You are sensible and actually correct, the sealed docks may then allow the fridge to stay on as it won’t act like a kettle that a normal dock will do. I do’t like to sound like a know it all, however with fridges and meat products I doubt there will be anyone on here with my knowledge of this subject. Not patronising to anyone or pulling anyone down, but it is my field of expertise.

UKtramp:

Tricky 21 Jan:

You are sensible and actually correct, the sealed docks may then allow the fridge to stay on as it won’t act like a kettle that a normal dock will do. I do’t like to sound like a know it all, however with fridges and meat products I doubt there will be anyone on here with my knowledge of this subject. Not patronising to anyone or pulling anyone down, but it is my field of expertise.

Good to know if Myself or others are ever in doubt then your knowledge may well be of help [emoji108]

UKtramp:
. I do’t like to sound like a know it all, however with fridges and meat products I doubt there will be anyone on here with my knowledge of this subject. Not patronising to anyone or pulling anyone down, but it is my field of expertise.

Blimey, that’s a big statement on a forum this big! Are you a former Thermo King design director or something? Because many of us do have quite extensive knowledge on this subject after years (and for some decades) pulling fridges and delivering meat.

UKtramp:

[/quote]
I thought your field of expertise is grammar and spelling.
:grimacing:

switchlogic:

UKtramp:
. I do’t like to sound like a know it all, however with fridges and meat products I doubt there will be anyone on here with my knowledge of this subject. Not patronising to anyone or pulling anyone down, but it is my field of expertise.

Blimey, that’s a big statement on a forum this big! Are you a former Thermo King design director or something? Because many of us do have quite extensive knowledge on this subject after years (and for some decades) pulling fridges and delivering meat.

^^Wot he said^^

Personally I only managed 25 years pulling fridges so I would guess I’m a novice in comparison.
But I’m curious, what exactly do you mean by you being an expert with meat products in fridges?

Frozen meat in boxes?
Frozen meat in bulk?
Frozen meat packaged for shops?
Fresh meat packaged for shops?
Fresh meat in bulk for processing?
Hanging carcasses (especially interesting when loaded warm)?
Mixed loads of any of the above?
Split temp loads of any of the above (excepting the hanging)?
Keeping illegal immigrants fresh and alive?

I’m only asking as I’m now worried in case I did the job incorrectly for all those years.

Didn’t jimmy saville like meat in a fridge?

UKtramp:

Tricky 21 Jan:

Alright then what is the level of your knowledge on this subject? I’m sure there’s at least someone on trucknet who’s been a refrigeration engineer, so you must be pretty well up there to make that claim.

Tgtrucker:
Hanging carcasses (especially interesting when loaded warm)?

Oh lord, that brings back horrible memories involving a jumbo pallet full of rancid offal that they loaded seemingly minutes after the cow had died