Self-employed HELP!

Hello,

I work for DHL full time but im hopefully leaving to be self employed as a Petroluem tanker driver.

Anyone help me with the best way to transition to self employed and what’s the best route to take ie sole trader etc

Do I need an accountant or best to do it myself?

What can I claim for and how much?

Thanks

Lee

Not my area of expertise. . . .
But a couple of questions for you.
Are you buyimg your own tank? Own pet regs unit?
Worhing for how many companies?
How will you be self employed? ■■?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

No I won’t be buying a truck.

I’ll be working for at least 1 company maybe another if the work isn’t there as he company’s just started up.

Iv never worked self employed so I don’t know anything about it apart from what iv seen through Google search. What’s best thing to do?

Thanks

You’ll run into serious tax difficulties if you only work for one company. Even working for multiple companies can have the self employed driver running into tax problems. I work for 4 different companies so far and just invoice them weekly

switchlogic:
You’ll run into serious tax difficulties if you only work for one company. Even working for multiple companies can have the self employed dude running into tax problems. I work for 4 different companies so far and just invoice them weekly

What’s the best thing to do then? He doesn’t want to take me on because of offering a pension because of the new law.

Trucker-Millward:

switchlogic:
You’ll run into serious tax difficulties if you only work for one company. Even working for multiple companies can have the self employed dude running into tax problems. I work for 4 different companies so far and just invoice them weekly

What’s the best thing to do then? He doesn’t want to take me on because of offering a pension because of the new law.

Run a mile that’s what. If he wants you self employed to avoid paying tax, NI & pension he’s seriously breaking the law and to be honest sounds a bit of a cowboy. It’s people like him that have led to this tax clamp down to be honest

Trucker-Millward:

Best thing to do?..Wish him good luck in finding a mug, and walk away head held high. :bulb:

Look at the HMRC bit of the yougov site. Pretty clear info on who is/isn’t self employed. If in doubt ask your tax office yourself.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

How’s he breaking law by getting drivers who are self employed to work for him?

Why would I walk a away when he’s going to train me up and get me qualified (PDP) and finally get my foot in the door of the Petroluem industry. Lol

Trucker-Millward:

Why would I walk a away when he’s going to train me up and get me qualified (PDP) and finally get my foot in the door of the Petroluem industry. Lol

Crack on then…

As said, just you crack on then mate. :neutral_face:

Saying “I’m self employed” or an EMPLOYER calling you self employed doesn’t mean that you are self employed. There are rules, and those rules are being enforced more and more strictly.
Seems like you’re being offered a really good deal…maybe TOO good to be true?

robroy:

Yeah I will crack on but obviously iv come on here to ask about going self employed.

Trucker-Millward:

He breaking the law by making full time employees be self employed

Trucker-Millward:

Someone so tight that he won’t take you on if he has to meet his legal bare minimum obligation of enrolling you in a pension scheme that he already has to be running… does that really sound like someone who will provide you with quality training, or does it sound like a shyster who will get you to “just do a bit of general… only for a couple of months until the petroleum side gets up and running, then we’ll put you through your PDP” which turns into “if you want your PDP, we will very graciously allow you to knock it off the top of your wages”

As has been said to be self employed you need to meet certain criteria, and invoicing one or even several companies does not generally qualify as self employed. If you owned your own truck and sub contract to other companies then that would likely qualify as self employed.
Look into it properly or you may regret it further down the line when HMRC sting you for unpaid tax on your earnings.
You have been given good advice but will probably do it your way and ignore the sensible advice given.

So as has been said crack on.

Trucker-Millward:

robroy:

Yeah I will crack on but obviously iv come on here to ask about going self employed.

Yeh, and heard what you don’t want to hear, disregarded the advice given,… then finished off with a ‘lol’ as if we are all stupid. :unamused:

Done with this thread now, best of luck mate…you may need it. :bulb:

robroy:

Trucker-Millward:

robroy:

Yeh, and heard what you don’t want to hear, disregarded the advice given,… then finished off with a ‘lol’ as if we are all stupid. :unamused:

Done with this thread now, best of luck mate…you may need it. :bulb:

Taking it all on board.

Trucker-Millward:

You won’t fit the HMRC definition of self-employed therefore you open yourself up to a whole of misery tax wise, Read this and then tell us wether you reckon you meet the criteria for being self employed as defined by HMRC.

"HM Revenue & Customs are not always unbiased in their assessment of self-employment status and their interpretation of case law. They often place emphasis on reclassifying individuals claiming to be self-employed. HMRC have published two leaflets (ES/FS1 Employed or self-employed for tax and National Insurance contributions and ES/FS2 Are your workers employed or self-employed for tax and National Insurance contributions). [links to PDF documents] which set out a series of questions to test the particular circumstances of any working relationship.

What are the practical differences?
Employees are taxed under the PAYE system and are liable to Class 1 national insurance (NI) contributions. If the worker is an employee, the employer also has to pay Class 1 NI � over a limit set each year, the employee’s NI rate reduces to 2%, but for employers NI continues at the full rate, with no upper limit. The employer also assumes responsibility for paying Statutory Sick Pay and Statutory Maternity, Adoption or Paternity Pay.
Employees have rights under health and safety and employment laws, such as the rights to redundancy payments and not to be unfairly dismissed. Moreover, the range of social security benefits is greater for employees than for the self employed.
Self employed workers are taxed under self assessment, and are allowed more scope in claiming expenses. They also pay Class 2 and Class 4 NI contributions, the combined burden of which is lower than Class 1 NI. Their ‘employers’ are not subject to NI.
It is not surprising, therefore, that many businesses show a marked preference for self employment status for their workers!

What if you are wrong?
It is the responsibility of the person making the payment to get it right. If you treat a worker as self employed and he or she is subsequently ruled to be an employee, you could find that all the payments you have made will be treated as net payments, and you will have to pay the corresponding tax and employees’ NI, as well as the employer’s NI. You have no right in law to recover such items from your employees after the event. In rare circumstances that HMRC cannot recover from the person making the payment they may seek recovery of additional taxes and NI from the worker.
You may also have to pay interest and penalties for incorrect returns.

Can you create conditions to favour self employment?
If you want to substantiate a classification of a worker as self employed, we strongly recommend that you have drawn up and enforce a suitable contract defining the services provided. In line with the tests referred to above, you will need to give particular consideration to the following points:
Risk and Reward
One of the main requirements is that self employed workers bear some element of risk in the arrangement. Whenever possible this is best demonstrated where work is undertaken on the basis of a �price for the Job�. Ideally the price, scope, and timing of the work should be agreed, and evidenced in writing, before the job commences.

Control
Self employed workers should exercise a significant degree of independent control over how they organise and carryout their work
Workmanship
Within reason, the more freedom the worker has in the detail of the way the work is carried out the better. You must also make it clear that the worker will have to put right any faulty work at his or her own expense.
Substitution
One of the strongest tests of self employment is the right to substitute a worker who is equally capable of carrying out the work.
Insurance
All self employed workers should hold public liability insurance and preferably professional indemnity insurance
Provision of equipment
Where practical, the worker should supply at least some of the important equipment or tools. Of course, the extent to which equipment is required depends upon the nature of the work.

Workers who invoice for labour and materials are more likely to be viewed as Self-employed."

Trucker-Millward:

Haha when was the last time you opened the Yellow Pages, hired a tradesman, and then you trained him up with the appropriate qualifications? :laughing:

As others have said, you’re not really self-employed, you’re a casual (and depending on your actual pattern of work and the understandings that are in place between you and the employer, you may actually be a full-time employee). And both a casual and a regular employee can work for more than one employer (it’s almost implicit in being a casual that you will work for more than one employer, unless you’re independently wealthy or a pauper).

If you’re in any doubt about your status in the relationship, just ask yourself, “who’s boss” and “who does as they’re told”? Who has authority? We already know what the answer is.

It’s just an odds game whether the taxman comes back to you for the money and a penalty, although if you’re a gambling man then at the moment it’s probably better odds than the bookies offer - although the tide does seem to be turning.

Consider that cash-in-hand work still exists, but nobody even pretends that it’s legal or legitimate, and the problem with bogus “self-employment” is that when you claim to be self-employed, you receive bank transfers, have to keep records for 6 years, and you make yourself known to the taxman as a self-employed earner, whereas at least cash-in-hand work is completely under the table (so that 6 or 12 months down the line, nobody can prove you ever did any work or received any taxable earnings).