How much per hour for dray work?

Have been working through agency for a small company delivering to pubs etc. for a while now and it looks like they are considering offering me a permanent role.

To be honest overall the job is about as easy as you could wish for (8.00am starts and some days are only one or two drops !) but manhandling 50kg barrels isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

A quick trawl of other Class 2 job ads (for work in this area) turns up palletwork at £10 an hour and driving a waste lorry for the council at £10.50 p.h. so what does anyone reckon should be the going rate for dray work?

What are they paying the other dray men?

As you say, it isn’t everybody’s cup of tea therefore I wouldn’t do it for £50/hr and I had done 20+ years on 25+ drops/day on foodservice!

UKtramp:
What are they paying the other dray men?

Well I suppose knowing that would be a start but they all drive Sprinters - there’s only one HGV at the moment.

Actrosman:
As you say, it isn’t everybody’s cup of tea therefore I wouldn’t do it for £50/hr and I had done 20+ years on 25+ drops/day on foodservice!

Well I suppose I could try asking for £60 an hour - don’t think they’d go for it though :slight_smile:

It sounds like a £9.50 to £10 p/h type of job. I knew a drayman that worked for Mansfield brewery a few years ago, he was class1 and got 25k per year. The job was job & knock with subsidised beer and food in Mansfield pubs. He was happy enough with the job. Two men to a wagon.

Not as much as it used to be!

Think its £4 because they know your gonna get a drink at every delivery, thats worth another £4…a few bags of crisps £1 so it equals £9 per hour not so bad… :smiley: :smiley:

Try £11-12 p/h and if its a small company salary is always negotiable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mantis:

That’s class 1 money round here mate,

UKtramp:

Mantis:

I’d argue that class one work (as a rule) would be a ■■■■ sight easier physically than dray work tbh mate. I don’t really give a stuff what label the vehicle I drive has attached to it, it’s the money not the glory that I work for. An example would be if a 7.5 tonner foodservice driver was earning £5 p/h more than me I’d say “fair play, you probably do £5 p/h’s work more than me, so crack on”.

the maoster:
I’d argue that class one work (as a rule) would be a ■■■■ sight easier physically than dray work tbh mate. I don’t really give a stuff what label the vehicle I drive has attached to it, it’s the money not the glory that I work for. An example would be if a 7.5 tonner foodservice driver was earning £5 p/h more than me I’d say “fair play, you probably do £5 p/h’s work more than me, so crack on”.

Agreed but in my neck of the woods, hard graft jobs doesn’t equal more money. Loads of handball class 2 jobs this end from £8.50 p/h no idea who takes it, but they do.

UKtramp:

Mantis:

This job isnt a class 1 motorway deliveries or collections we talking about pub basement deliveries. Ive seen few ads offering £14 an hour in London for the same role driving a 7.5tonner. Please remember you will rarely get more than 8 hours so class 1 job isnt comparable at all.

Mantis:

UKtramp:

Mantis:

This job isnt a class 1 motorway deliveries or collections we talking about pub basement deliveries. Ive seen few ads offering £14 an hour in London for the same role driving a 7.5tonner. Please remember you will rarely get more than 8 hours so class 1 job isnt comparable at all.

There are class 1 dray jobs, and London is hardly comparable to Hull now is it. You can buy a house in Hull for the cost of a garage in London. So £14 p/h in london would equate to minimum wage here.

UKtramp:

Mantis:

UKtramp:

Mantis:

There are class 1 dray jobs, and London is hardly comparable to Hull now is it. You can buy a house in Hull for the cost of a garage in London. So £14 p/h in london would equate to minimum wage here.

Well i agree that the Hull is one of the worst places to live but that doesnt mean you should work your a** for pennies.

Well Hull is not one of the worst places to live, it is city of culture you know. II am pointing out the difference in both wages and houses compared with London. You won’t get £14 p/h class 2 work. Unless your Ltd and pick up a very lucky job.

Dray : D

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mantis:

No it isn’t.

I tell you the pay structure, you agree and start work, no good coming back a month later for more.

Same as a customer saying I’ve got £xxxx for this drop in Aberdeen, I agree to deliver, I don’t go whining after that the money isn’t good enough. If that is what I think, I don’t work for them anymore.

albion:

Mantis:

No it isn’t.

I tell you the pay structure, you agree and start work, no good coming back a month later for more.

Same as a customer saying I’ve got £xxxx for this drop in Aberdeen, I agree to deliver, I don’t go whining after that the money isn’t good enough. If that is what I think, I don’t work for them

Ok, after they know that you are good and they do like you why not to ask for a payrise? Ive just told few agencies what i am looking to be paid and they just agreed with me because its better to pay a bit more for a professional ar reliable driver than to look for a replacement. Does that make sense to you?

Mantis:

albion:

Mantis:

Ok, after they know that you are good and they do like you why not to ask for a payrise? Ive just told few agencies what i am looking to be paid and they just agreed with me because its better to pay a bit more for a professional ar reliable driver than to look for a replacement. Does that make sense to you?

■■■■ off