Dash cam Loops

I don’t have a dash cam but I do have a serious question about them. If a dash cam records 10 min loops, does this mean every 10 mins it over writes the footage? Do I understand this right that unless you turn it off after a collision or an incident that at the end of a loop it is lost if not saved?

It will record a 10 minute video, after that, it’ll record another 10 minute video.
It’ll keep doing this until the memory card reached capacity, when that happens, that first 10 minute video will be over written. The process then repeats.

Usually though you’ll have an event button, press this and that will record an ‘event’ video that will not be deleted until you delete it manually.

That makes sense, thanks for that

Very few cameras record 10 min loops. Most are 1,2,3 or 5 minutes. Also many cameras have g sensors that will automatically create an “event” clip when it detects an impact. However in trucks, this isn’t all that useful as every little bump in the road tends to set them off and you end up with a card full of “event” clips and no room for footage until you delete them all.
The idea of dash cameras was initially to record crashes to assertion blame. If you have a crash, more often then not you wouldn’t continue driving and would either take the camera out for evidence, or turn the power to the car off, so no more footage would be recorded and your crash clip would be safe even if it didn’t record and “event”.

However they have changed into a road warrior tool where people upload every tiny little thing that happens throughout a journey and are scared of loosing the precious footage of someone pulling out of a junction a bit to early.
You can see these type of people on dash camera compilation videos on YouTube, as they usually smack the camera with their hand just after something happens in order for the camera to save the clip as an event. Otherwise it wouldn’t be saved and would get overwriten, loosing their 30 seconds of fame.

I have mine set to 5 minute loops and it holds approximately 6 hrs worth of recording so anything I want keeping I save and download it when I’m home. The sensor function is a bit hit and miss as sometimes it saves a vid if I slam the drivers door shut a bit too hard d.

I use a free app on my phone called Daily Roads Voyager and I’m really happy with it. I can decide the length of each clip and it uses about 4-5gb of memory on my phone which I just delete at the end of the day. If an incident has happened and I want to save a video all I have to do is tap the screen and it saves 4 minutes of video (this can also be set by me to the length I want).

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

what happens if your phone rings?

I bought autoguard pro for my phone but using the phone it needs to be on charge constantly and records good enough and carries on recording in background. But I prefer a standalone dash cam myself.

UKtramp:
what happens if your phone rings?

It carries on recording. I can play my music off my phone also.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk