Badge Snobbery

After reading more than a few posts on different subjects in various topics on this forum, somebody comes out with the likes of (insert make of lorry here), usually Mercedes or Ivecos, “are crepe/pile of pooh, I wouldn’t drive for a company that ran those”
Seriously, are there drivers out there that would not drive for a company, that did not run top of the range Volvias ?

I started driving 20 years ago .
I was tought in a F7 , I then drove FL10’s F10’s F12’s all versions of FH and the current steed is a FH4.
I’ve also driven DAF’s Scanias and Mercs none of which I particularly liked driving for all sorts of reasons .
I like Volvos - the way they are laid out inside , I like the Ishift and I enjoy my time at work in a Volvo . I can’t say the same for any of the other brands I’ve mentioned .
I prefer to drive a Volvo - I’m more relaxed and comfortable and therefore I think a safer driver on the road .
We have a mixed fleet Volvo has the biggest share but we have a Scania and a DAF as well .
Everyone has their preference .

There’s more than a few who sacrifice the money to have some gaffers bling under their arris…

When I started back in the mid 1970’s, the make of truck was the last thing on my mind. Even a new(ish) vehicle didnt figure. I was allocated a truck and made it my own by the addition of creature comforts, a ■■■■ good clean and away I went.

From Atkinson Borderer to A and B series ERF’s before I got a sleeper cab, the F88. All of those trucks were used and abused before I got them, but that didnt matter, it was ‘mine’ Heck, I didnt get a new vehicle until 1987.

The make or type of truck has never figured in where I have worked, if it pays well enough then I will drive it, second hand or new…the actual make still does not enter my head when taking up a job… and I have just about covered the spectrum of marques and types!

Those companies who buy top range motors never have any trouble filling the driving seat always been the same.

Sentiments as above ^^^ in Twoninety88’s post, similar history but got me first new motor in '84.
Thinking about it i’ve never worked for a company who bought into bling, driven lots of rubbish too.

If all else were equal, I’d take a job with a company offering me decent trucks such as Scanias, Volvos or even DAFs over Ivecos. That said, I took a temp-to-perm job with a company that operates a mixture of Ivecos and Mercs last September (the older trucks are the Ivecos, sleeper tractor units, and the newer ones are Merc Antos day-cab tractors) although in the event it didn’t last long. I’m not in a position to turn down permanent work on that basis at the moment.

I rarely do 7.5T work now but would refuse to drive things like Canters if I knew in advance. I find them flimsy, cramped, less than manoeuvrable and rattly. And for some reason, I’ve found more of them to be filthy than other small trucks. Was reminded of everything I hate about those things on a drive up to Kettering last Friday, which I won’t repeat in a hurry.

Had a new Hino in 2008 the most cost effective motor I’ve owned apart from Leyland Constructors & the immortal Routeman but hey ho as an O/D/ small operator bling don’t earn bucks lol

I don’t like the 3 pedal auto swedes or the half window DAF cf or the scary LF
My firm only has MAN Iveco and Mercedes
I’m in a new bouncy bouncy Merec Actros but started in a 8 year old MAN TGM

A certain company in Felixstowe and other place up in ■■■■■■■ back in the 70`s was offering our lads a new Scania and around £28 a week they got laughed at.
We was driving Guys Seddons and Dodge for £42 pw sooner had a decent wage than a new motor.
Drivers have not changed much since,they still drive for peanuts just to have a nice big new motor,even though they are paying for it by working for low pay

Everybody has their favourite type of motor. I drive a Merc which would not be my first choice by any means.
Also unfortunately, the money I work for is nothing to write home about also.
However I have driven all the top range fancy motors that I want to in this job, and have worked for mega bucks before here and abroad.
Nowadays it’s just a quiet life I want in my job, I do the same run (multi drop UK distance) every week, am not hassled or pushed, but left alone to do it, followed by a long weekend (Sat noon to Tues am) every week, which suits me fine thanks.
There is no way in hell that I would change jobs just to drive some top range bling laden or otherwise, particular make of truck, they no longer interest me tbh.

as long as the money was decent I couldn’t give a txxs what I drove as long as it was legal,and I have driven some old ropers in my time,trouble is some drivers do think theuy are a cut above because they drive a new Volvo/Scania,etc,personally I get fed up having to check mine for damage every morning[so far nothing]when night drivers take it out,but at the end of the day it’s just a work vehicle,thats the way I see it,someone told me about a company a few years ago that they gave a new wagon each to their drivers with all the whistles and bells on them,the money was totally crap and the drivers had to come in on Saturdays to wash their vehicles,and no extra pay for it either,and these drivers were apparently doing it,muppets

Always been a fan of the vulvas meself

This is why some complete bellend tossers keep you out there when overtaking. :smiling_imp:
They are like a cross between kids and immature boy racers,…''I aint letting some ■■■■ Actros overtake me in my superduper blinged up to the eyeballs Voldafscan Giggatophihlinecruiser V8 650. :unamused:
■■■■ childish idiots. :unamused:

TiredAndEmotional:
There’s more than a few who sacrifice the money to have some gaffers bling under their arris…

:laughing: :laughing: Yeah, and they peer round the half drawn curtains trying to reverse into a spot before getting out to see who’s looking…then they slope off counting their change to see if they can muster up enough for a happy meal…

Been there done that driving a topline 450 series 3 Scania back in the day, for a fella who thought it was compensation for paying me a percentage for knocking me pipe out . Then expecting me to wash down FOC on Saturdays after a mornings work…moved on quickly from that one and went and drove a 2800 Daf for twice as much as he was paying.

Having said that, if some of the cab happy lads enjoy driving the gaffers blinged up motor for not too much money, who are we to critisize? Just enjoy and be safe!!

I am ny no means a badge snob, I couldn’t care less as long as it isn’t a Mercedes, and purely because the seats give me horrendous back ache. Give me anything else and I’m good to go.

But that being said, given the right money I might be inclined to drive a Mercedes and live with the pain.

Must admit, i wouldnt drive for a firm that didnt give me a top of the range motor, 12 spot lamps and frilly curtains including the windscreen…must also have a fridge microwave and other luxuries…ha ha just kidding, The motors today are far superior than when i started…no sleepers, lucky if you got a radio let alone one that worked, and also had a bloody great transformer that went with it…remember those…i started on a thames trader, and drove a maudsley, guy warriors etc, guy big j, they all went like ■■■■ off a shovel…no limiters no tachos, wooden cabs in some, heaters were hit and miss, and froze your nuts of in the winter…todays guys dont know how lucky they are…BUt i admire bosses who have a nice fleet, and drivers who bling them up, although its not for me…i wasnt worried about what i drove and what i did, some were better than others, ropes and sheets were the norm, and was nice if you had a box trailer, especially when it was ■■■■■■■ down lol… but at the end of the day it was about money…if i heard of one firm paying a lot more, i would leave friday and start again monday…for me its always been about the money and perks. The first decent motor was the F88 and ran glasgow every 2 days from rainham steel, as well as international in turns, with Austria being groupage loads and did most often before i went on middle east and had a f88 or a 141 road train. My favourite was a Daf 2800 on reeve freight and also europa work, and is still my favourite today…but i have never said i wont work for a company because of the fleet they run, i dont care what motor, so long as the pay and conditions are right for me ! I drive a MAN at the mo and i quite like those too, but the boss has said hes gonna get a couple of DAFs so i`ll be ok once again…

paulypaul:

TiredAndEmotional:

Having said that, if some of the cab happy lads enjoy driving the gaffers blinged up motor for not too much money, who are we to critisize? Just enjoy and be safe!!

I was with you all the way up to that bit bud.
I reckon they deserve any criticism and ridicule coming to them.

And by the way…leave my half closed curtains alone, they all go with my ‘‘Mysterious trucker’’ persona, and I look real cool peeking round them in my shades. :sunglasses:
:wink: :laughing:

Stop lying Truckyboy, Thames Trader,.Guy, Atkinson :unamused: …yeh right !
When YOU started the ‘‘units’’ were known as Neddy and Dobbin, and the top of the range was ‘‘Black Beauty’’ . :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

truckyboy:
but the boss has said hes gonna get a couple of DAFs so i`ll be ok once again…

Hmm, not sure you’re going to like the new Nanny Daf when it chucks the anchors out for no reason and gets all arsey cos you have to straddle the NS continuous line on a narrowish A road :laughing:

My favourite lorry of all time was me first new one (well ex demo) a 401 Sed Ack, twin steer with Jacob brake equipped ■■■■■■■■ EatonFuller, Rockwell, but i gave that motor up to go drive a van on nights for a large wage increase which turned out to be me first big break.
Always gone for the money too, and just made the best out of whatever motor happened to be mine for the duration.
Yes its nice to have good tackle, and invariably drivers who look after the equipment nearly always end up with good kit once they’ve proved themselves.

Bearing in mind you spend a lot of time in it, I’d only turn a job down if they thought they could palm me off with a crappy Iveco or half-window Daf. Anything else will do.