Driver CPC

Recently completed a 7 hr training day to keep my driver CPC in tact, the trainer said something that sort of shocked a few of us. He reckons the CPC will be scrapped soon, certainly in the next couple of years. Due to Brexit and regs. He reckons no other changes other than scrapping the driver CPC. Anyone have any thoughts or heard anything on this?

Both my current girlfriend and my ex work for the NHS and both are required to do periodic training. Not only do neither of them have to pay £350 to do it but both are paid for attending courses. Perhaps the road haulage industry could consider following the same model?

My recent course they it may change but they didn’t know anymore. They didn’t say it would be scrapped though, but that means nothing. I think they make it up as they go along.

Considering that an overwhelming number of DCPC trainers would struggle to train a dog to sit I would take his ramblings with a large pinch of salt.

The Govt are at this moment putting a bill through to transfer ALL EU law into UK law but what happens after that we do not know

Because we will still have drivers taking loads across the EU and we will still get EU transport over here in all likelihood driving regs won’t change. However the UK drivers CPC is not the same syllabus as the other EU countries, this could well be scrapped as things stand so it does seem feasible.

UKtramp:
Recently completed a 7 hr training day to keep my driver CPC in tact, the trainer said something that sort of shocked a few of us. He reckons the CPC will be scrapped soon, certainly in the next couple of years. Due to Brexit and regs. He reckons no other changes other than scrapping the driver CPC. Anyone have any thoughts or heard anything on this?

I would say there’s not a hope in hell of the DCPC being scrapped in the foreseeable future.

• It’s a money earner.
  • Training companies will convince the government it’s needed.
  • JAUPT, Skills for Logistics and probably the RHA will support the training companies.
  • There’s a current idea that anything that seems to make road haulage safer is a good thing regardless of whether or not it actually does improve road safety.

tachograph:

UKtramp:

I would say there’s not a hope in hell of the DCPC being scrapped in the foreseeable future.

• It’s a money earner.
  • Training companies will convince the government it’s needed.
  • JAUPT, Skills for Logistics and probably the RHA will support the training companies.
  • There’s a current idea that anything that seems to make road haulage safer is a good thing regardless of whether or not it actually does improve road safety.

Exactly. Not a snowball’s

I’m with Tachograph.

Did I really say that?? :open_mouth:
(Just joking bud :wink: )

Too many have their snouts in the trough in this particular brand of ■■■■■■■■, it has become an industry in fact, so there aint a chance in hell of it disappearing unfortunately.

If for the above reasons then I would also agree, but you can do the very same CPC module year after year then after 35 hrs has accumulated you keep your CPC intact. Now you could do 5 separate modules which would make more sense and possibly educate someone. I say scrap the current CPC and do an ADR in its place. Much more worthwhile. I have a feeling it will be scrapped, I know its a money spinner but so are fines which would probably replace it?

There is an amendment to the rules going through that will stop the repeating of modules, and make it mandatory that five different subjects are covered. Not sure when it will actually come in though.

I wonder what the current transport minister thinks of the driver cpc?

Harry Monk:
Both my current girlfriend and my ex work for the NHS and both are required to do periodic training. Not only do neither of them have to pay £350 to do it but both are paid for attending courses. Perhaps the road haulage industry could consider following the same model?

Company I work for pay for cpc and time spent doing it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:

Harry Monk:

If that was the case I wouldnt mind doing it (even if I do think it’s all superficial face saving ■■■■■■■■)
I would rather sit in a classroom for however many days and get paid for it, than sit the same time in a ■■■■ truck.
However my firm are fish’s arse grade tight, so I have to pay for the pleasure of sitting through it all myself…the joy. :imp:

robroy:

wrighty1:

Harry Monk:

If that was the case I wouldnt mind doing it (even if I do think it’s all superficial face saving ■■■■■■■■)
I would rather sit in a classroom for however many days and get paid for it, than sit the same time in a [zb] truck.
However my firm are fish’s arse grade tight, so I have to pay for the pleasure of sitting through it all myself…the joy. :imp:

To be fair 3 days was ADR and 1 day on a cycling course which I must say was so much fun[emoji19]

wrighty1:
To be fair 3 days was ADR and 1 day on a cycling course which I must say was so much fun[emoji19]

And there you have it, a ■■■■ cycling course for truck drivers. :unamused: .
Ok it does admittedly sound as you say fun, but which overpaid limpdick in an office thought that one up eh? :unamused:
Yeh I see the idea in theory, it’s making you empathise with a vulnerable cyclist and consider them on the roads.
BUT…if you are not mentally capable of doing just that by yourself, whilst driving 44 tonnes of potentially dangerous truck in the wrong hands, without doing a ‘‘pc right on’’ bloody awareness course, you should not be allowed out in one I would reckon.
As I said…pure ■■■■■■■■.

the maoster:
Considering that an overwhelming number of DCPC trainers would struggle to train a dog to sit I would take his ramblings with a large pinch of salt.

I see your point… But to put the record straight, Im a Jaupt accredited DCPC trainer. I am and have been a HGV driver for 8 years + 3 years under Agricultural exemption. I am also a Special Constable with West Mercia Police. The fact that you broadly state that the “overwhelming number” have little or no idea what they are on about - should surely be corrected, as only those you have encountered?

lightning:

the maoster:

I see your point… But to put the record straight, Im a Jaupt accredited DCPC trainer. I am and have been a HGV driver for 8 years + 3 years under Agricultural exemption. I am also a Special Constable with West Mercia Police. The fact that you broadly state that the “overwhelming number” have little or no idea what they are on about - should surely be corrected, as only those you have encountered?

At least he kept his opinions to himself about ‘‘Special Constables’’ :bulb: :smiley:

wrighty1:

Harry Monk:

We do as well, costs an arm and a leg.

lightning:

the maoster:

Ok, I’ll admit that was a sweeping generalisation, but this is Trucknet and that is what we do here :wink: . I was making that generalisation mainly on the horror stories I read here on DCPC trainers which of course may or may not be true.

In the interest of balance my own experience is limited to two trainers; the first one was when I was agency and paying for it myself and I have no knowledge of his ability as it was sorted out in a pub car park :wink: . The second one is where I now work where the Co pay for it and I also get paid to attend and he’s a very knowledgeable ex driver who has put a lot of effort into making his courses entertaining and above all factually correct. So in that respect I honestly have no issues.