Lorry driver jailed

Another one giving us a bad name …bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox … e-40629723

Tragically you can almost guarantee he won’t be the last to kill someone whilst distracted by their phone ect

I read this earlier on this evening. The drivers excuse reminded me of a friend and fellow driver who had an accident of which he couldn’t remember, I knew him well enough to believe him. In his case no one else was involved. His fellow drivers slagged him off some thing rotten, mostly behind his back. A couple of months or so later months later he was diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer’s.
I’m not saying that’s what happened here because I don’t know, but I’m not going to slag him off.

xichrisxi:
Tragically you can almost guarantee he won’t be the last to kill someone whilst distracted by their phone ect

It doesn’t say he was distracted by his phone though !

I maybe would not say this if it was my family, but unfortunately it could happen to any of us.
How many times a day are you on auto pilot, where you pass an MSA for example and have no recollection of doing so.
It just takes a moment of lapse of concentration when the ■■■■ can hit the fan in various degrees of seriousness, in this case it happened to be worse case scenario.

bald bloke:

xichrisxi:

It doesn’t say he was distracted by his phone though !

Neither did I…

robroy:
I maybe would not say this if it was my family, but unfortunately it could happen to any of us.
How many times a day are you on auto pilot, where you pass an MSA for example and have no recollection of doing so.
It just takes a moment of lapse of concentration when the [zb] can hit the fan in various degrees of seriousness, in this case it happened to be worse case scenario.

maybe down to the culture of 71/ 84 hrs MAXIMUM punishment from the office chasers? :unamused:

If a member of “Labour’s the many” gets a mind condition like this - then it’s always blamed upon “lack of spending on the NHS” etc.

When a trucker gets a medical condition though? - Suddenly it’s their 100% responsibility to report it to DVLA immediately upon diagnosis, so they can have their livelihood revoked without any sympathy, compensation, or fast-tracked medical care whatsoever.

…adding up to yet another reason why “no one wants to choose a career in driving” these days.

What do we have now? Narcolepsy. Alzheimers. Diabetes. Even Cancer. That’s not to mention those “conditions” that are seen as self-inflicted by many people, such as Drug and Alcohol abuse.

Perhaps it’s high time that our front-line people that have GOT to be safe to operate on the public front line - have some kind of government-enforced “health care” that keeps them well, rather than just hurries them along to the scrap heap without doing anything about said medical condition. “Free health check to night drivers” was offered a few years back. I didn’t take it up, because there was no upside. Just an excuse to take your licence and job away, should anything untoward be found wrong with one. :frowning:

robroy:
It just takes a moment of lapse of concentration when the [zb] can hit the fan in various degrees of seriousness, in this case it happened to be worse case scenario.

I totally agree with this.

Fatboy slimslow:

robroy:

maybe down to the culture of 71/ 84 hrs MAXIMUM punishment from the office chasers? :unamused:

No just the way we are,tedium.

robroy:

I had something similar happen probably about 10 yrs ago. Used to do an early morning trunk from Glasgow to Dundee. This particular morning, I can remember passing Auchterarder, then nothing till I got a mile or so over the other side of the Friarton Bridge. One of the most horrible feelings I’ve ever had as I had no recollection of going up the Cairnie Brae, round the Broxden Rdbt or crossing the Friarton Br. I was obviously aware of what I was doing but I just couldn’t remember any of it. One and only time it’s ever happened thankfully.

robroy:

Totally agree Rob back in the good old days often arrived in Calais and couldn’t remember Paris but does it mean that if something had happened there would have been a problem or was I more alert than I realised?

I bet most of us have found ourselves further up the road than we remembered driving, but that doesn’t mean we weren’t seeing and reacting to things, just auto pilot. Years ago I’d seen several doctors (before I got my big gut) telling them I was tired and washed out, get more sleep was the general answer. :unamused: I eventually found a doc’, a big fat bloke who straight away said that it sounded like sleep apnoea (he had it his self). I was given priority as I was driving a semi at the time and got the diagnosis. I’ve now got a cpap machine and haven’t looked back. Who’s to say I wouldn’t have done something similar if I hadn’t got the diagnosis.

I feel really sorry for the family involved and honestly don’t know how I’d cope in their position. Who knows what actually happened ? Does he really not remember it, or is he lying ?

When I first started driving trucks, one of my first jobs for the agency was a regular night run from Barking to Trafford Park and back.

Many many times I remember passing Birmingham, and the next thing I knew I was passing Newport Pagnall or Toddington…whole stretches of the journey were a blank…I look back now and cringe…and realise how lucky I was not to have had something bad happen.

Winseer:
If a member of “Labour’s the many” gets a mind condition like this - then it’s always blamed upon “lack of spending on the NHS” etc.

When a trucker gets a medical condition though? - Suddenly it’s their 100% responsibility to report it to DVLA immediately upon diagnosis, so they can have their livelihood revoked without any sympathy, compensation, or fast-tracked medical care whatsoever.

…adding up to yet another reason why “no one wants to choose a career in driving” these days.

What do we have now? Narcolepsy. Alzheimers. Diabetes. Even Cancer. That’s not to mention those “conditions” that are seen as self-inflicted by many people, such as Drug and Alcohol abuse.

Perhaps it’s high time that our front-line people that have GOT to be safe to operate on the public front line - have some kind of government-enforced “health care” that keeps them well, rather than just hurries them along to the scrap heap without doing anything about said medical condition. “Free health check to night drivers” was offered a few years back. I didn’t take it up, because there was no upside. Just an excuse to take your licence and job away, should anything untoward be found wrong with one. :frowning:

You don’t half post some ■■■■■■