Work other company on days off

Anyone ever done agency on their days off when on a 4/4 shift pattern or something similar? Talking about people already doing a driving job and for whatever reason their main employer offers crap overtime wages/shifts etc

Wondering if so, then how did your main employer take it?

Never worked anywhere that the overtime rate was that bad that it would pay better to work for an agency arse bandit on rest days.

I expect the main employer would be right ■■■■■■■ and it’s probably written in the contract that this is not allowed.

Part of my contract that I can’t work for anyone else, driving or any other employment, other than voluntary work.

I’m on a 4 on/4 off pattern but occasionally do a 5th shift if

a) I can be arsed

b) It fits in with my home life and plans

OR

c) it’s all gone massively wrong, as it does sometimes, and I’m caught out of hours.

I at least know it’s appreciated where I am and is a favour “in the bank” plus the extra cash doesn’t hurt.

As already said - if they pay enough just do an extra day for the firm your with.

If the pay isn’t enough - explain that you want to do a bit extra elsewhere and see if you can come to an arrangement.

Steve-o:
Anyone ever done agency on their days off when on a 4/4 shift pattern or something similar? Talking about people already doing a driving job and for whatever reason their main employer offers crap overtime wages/shifts etc

Is it just me who finds it very sad that a driver working this shift pattern which includes Saturday and Sunday cannot earn enough to live on and needs to find other work for his days off.

mac12:

Steve-o:

Is it just me who finds it very sad that a driver working this shift pattern which includes Saturday and Sunday cannot earn enough to live on and needs to find other work for his days off.

HE might want to do it for love!

Work to live,not live to work.
Get a better paid job or try living within your means,that way you wouldn`t need to be looking at doing two jobs.

If the wages and overtime pay are that bad surely you’d be better off looking for a better full time job rather than a second job to subsidise the poor wages of your current job.

A quick route to a P45

mac12:

Steve-o:

No it aint mate, ■■■■ that for a game of soldiers.
There’s more to life than sitting in a ■■■■ truck.
I sympathise with the guys who need to because they’re skint, but if that’s the case I’d be changing my job for one that I could manage and live on tbh.

My attitude is that whatever I do in my time off, has nothing to do with the company I work for, as long as any legal constraints are observed. If I have driving/working hours available to do a shift elsewhere in my time of, than that is up to me. When did employers start telling us what we can and can not do when we are off?

Employers can control who else you wish to work for, they hold your P45, they pay into your pension, NI etc…and they are responsible for the hours you work…which is why many will not like it if you want to moonlight, at the end of a period your card will be down loaded, and then the ■■■■ will hit the fan…some drivers are in my eyes unbelievable…we had one here a while back asking if he can work his holidays for someone else, after getting his holiday pay…and the company refusing to allow him to work for them during this period…he opted to work for an agency…seems to me the government did it all wrong by giving employees the right to a 4 week holiday per year…when all they want to do is work it…must be in a ■■■■ load of debt to want to do that.

truckyboy:
Employers can control who else you wish to work for, they hold your P45, they pay into your pension, NI etc…and they are responsible for the hours you work…which is why many will not like it if you want to moonlight, at the end of a period your card will be down loaded, and then the [zb] will hit the fan…some drivers are in my eyes unbelievable…we had one here a while back asking if he can work his holidays for someone else, after getting his holiday pay…and the company refusing to allow him to work for them during this period…he opted to work for an agency…seems to me the government did it all wrong by giving employees the right to a 4 week holiday per year…when all they want to do is work it…must be in a [zb] load of debt to want to do that.

What I do in my own time is my business. If my employer doesn’t like that, he’s not going to be my employer very long.
Your argument holds no validity. The employer pays tax and N.I. contributions on the wages you have earned when working for them. Not on wages you may have earned elsewhere. If I exceed my legal hours, by working elsewhere, that does not affect another employer.

What’s next? No heavy gardening or diy jobs around the house? No moving a friend or family member? Not allowed to drink when at home? Not allowed to smoke?
And what’s with being allowed to drive to and from work, even if you do 9 or 10 hours driving?

:unamused:

The problem with a second job is you pay more in tax, than you earn, unless its for cash.

the nodding donkey:

truckyboy:
Employers can control who else you wish to work for, they hold your P45, they pay into your pension, NI etc…and they are responsible for the hours you work…which is why many will not like it if you want to moonlight, at the end of a period your card will be down loaded, and then the [zb] will hit the fan…some drivers are in my eyes unbelievable…we had one here a while back asking if he can work his holidays for someone else, after getting his holiday pay…and the company refusing to allow him to work for them during this period…he opted to work for an agency…seems to me the government did it all wrong by giving employees the right to a 4 week holiday per year…when all they want to do is work it…must be in a [zb] load of debt to want to do that.

What I do in my own time is my business. If my employer doesn’t like that, he’s not going to be my employer very long.
Your argument holds no validity. The employer pays tax and N.I. contributions on the wages you have earned when working for them. Not on wages you may have earned elsewhere. If I exceed my legal hours, by working elsewhere, that does not affect another employer.

What’s next? No heavy gardening or diy jobs around the house? No moving a friend or family member? Not allowed to drink when at home? Not allowed to smoke?
And what’s with being allowed to drive to and from work, even if you do 9 or 10 hours driving?

:unamused:

I tend to agree with you, but “If I exceed my legal hours, by working elsewhere, that does not affect another employer.” I think you’ll find it does. I think it affects both employers. However if your main employer has a stipulation that you can’t work for anyone else that may well excuse them under law, as they have, by expressing this contractually, endouvered to protect themselves (and you) under WTD and EU/Domestic hours regs.

I think Nodding Donkey is spot on here.

if you have the legal hours to work elsewhere as long as the second job is in a different sector ( not in direct competition) and you’ve been a model employee no time off, work completed, not late, always do whats asked of you, i cannot see how your main employer would have any grounds to sack you?
Surely they would have to prove your second job was affecting your work before they could do anything. As long as you do all that’s asked of you its not harming anyone. Employers do not own you.
Unless it exclusively says in your contract that you must not work for another employer, the wording on most contracts is usually open to interpretation anyway, i can’t see that doing a 4on/4off role should stop you from doing a bit somewhere else if you want to!

If you work for a company that pays so badly you need to get another job. Isn’t it still law that all work must be recorded if you are subject to drivers hours of duty regulations ?
Personally I would just find somewhere else to work that paid real wages and overtime.

Pat Hasler:
If you work for a company that pays so badly you need to get another job. Isn’t it still law that all work must be recorded if you are subject to drivers hours of duty regulations ?
Personally I would just find somewhere else to work that paid real wages and overtime.

How much holiday do you get?

truckyboy:

if you work for an Employer, you are an Employee. THEY pay YOUR tax and NI, and pension if you’re lucky. There is NOTHING to stop you working SOLE TRADER/ SELF EMPLOYED OR AS AN EMPLOYEE IF YOUR OWN LTD COMPANY! There’s a big difference.

Me personally, if you work 4 on 4 off then you should be paid accordingly. :unamused: the problem arose years ago by greedy drivers and transport managers working two extra days and still have 48 hrs off. Simple as that. Going back to the OP. GET A LIFE.

I suppose that if going by the rules, then the hours you work are averaged out over a 17 week period, holidays are not included, so by working your holidays, you may not adhere to the regulations, and put your employer under threat.i know people who have taken their holidays to do a bit of international work, but they are ltd…so i assume its ok…the same as working a rest day if your employer agrees as many do,but it will come to light as i said previously as and when the card is downloaded…i am not a holier than thou person, and dont care who does what…just making a comment as to what i think about the post.

truckyboy:
Employers can control who else you wish to work for, they hold your P45, they pay into your pension, NI etc.

They have to pay your pension and NI, it is a legal statutory requirement. And what does the fact they hold your P45 have to do with anything? :unamused:

biggriffin:
The problem with a second job is you pay more in tax, than you earn, unless its for cash.

This old ■■■■■■■■ again. :unamused:

No you don’t. You pay no more in tax than you would if you had one job paying the same amount as both jobs do. What you don’t get is a second chunk of tax free pay because you already have all your personal allowance applied to the first job. But you pay no more tax if you earn £20,000 in your main job and £10,000 in your second job than you would if you had just one job paying £30,000.

truckboy:
I suppose that if going by the rules, then the hours you work are averaged out over a 17 week period, holidays are not included, so by working your holidays, you may not adhere to the regulations,

Holidays are counted as a 48hr working week under the working time directive to stop employers abusing holidays to lower the average.

Jesus don’t you two know owt?