My first ever Euro run on Friday to Rome airport

Setting off on Friday morning on my first ever euro run delivering to Rome airport delivering shop fittings to WH Smiths and really can’t wait. Obviously I’ve never been over the water so can anyone give me any help and advise please what to expect and any tips to make it easier.
There’s 2 lads who have Euro experience traveling with their loads so should be fine as I’ll be travelling in the middle but as one said we will more than likely get split up at the Mont Blanc tunnel so I could be on my own for a while, I’m just guessing as I’ve never been.
What’s it like getting on the train as I’ve heard it can be quite daunting for a newbie?

With regards to the train watch this …m.youtube.com/watch?v=X8r0kjJvvIY

With regards to everything else can’t help you but enjoy the trip it sounds great especially as you’re in a group, obviously you’ll post pictures on your return :wink:

You’re just on here to show off now! :smiley: Can’t help you with anything mate but you’re getting around a bit. Is there anything else you cal let us in on with this trip?

TiredAndEmotional:
You’re just on here to show off now! :smiley: Can’t help you with anything mate but you’re getting around a bit. Is there anything else you cal let us in on with this trip?

The Outer Hebrides job and this one is the same one. Shop fittings for a company called Itab Uk. Got a warehouse at Hemell Hempstead and one at Tankersley in Barnsley. They have just got a 12 million pound contract to do all the Morrisons stalls in the UK. The Outer Hebrides was a CoOp and this one in Rome is a WH Smiths.

Bloody hell you’ll never get back Friday night with that run , and there’s me thinking cheddar is a nightmare on a Friday

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Setting off on Friday morning on my first ever euro run delivering to Rome airport delivering shop fittings to WH Smiths and really can’t wait. Obviously I’ve never been over the water so can anyone give me any help and advise please what to expect and any tips to make it easier.
There’s 2 lads who have Euro experience traveling with their loads so should be fine as I’ll be travelling in the middle but as one said we will more than likely get split up at the Mont Blanc tunnel so I could be on my own for a while, I’m just guessing as I’ve never been.
What’s it like getting on the train as I’ve heard it can be quite daunting for a newbie?

Euro job is same Uk job,just drive from anothet side in the road.Mont Blanc same road,just some uphill.If you truck have automatic Viacard that easy in Italy.If you have just card that you must stop every time and put in machine.

My first was Naples since then I’ve done a one off load somewhere different every year , the worst bit is down to Dover especially on the way back when you realise just how easy it is on the continent and annoying the m1 m25 is , Steve it will ruin you ,you’ll be addicted :laughing:

Enjoy - What we used to call a local some years ago - its not far away just more work on your mirrors :grimacing:

Remember to keep your distance in the Mt Blanc tunnel - on the hair pin climb up from the Chamonix road there’s the memorial to all the folks that died in the fire disaster.

Speed radars in Blanc and Frejus tunnels and safety gap detection, eye watering fines if caught
Fines in Europe are court deposits and can be contested at a later date.
Never park overnight alone, safety in numbers .
If coming back to France via Blanc, in the Italian side, stop at the emissions checkpoint about 30 miles before the pipe.
Failure means they turn you back to get it.
Cafe and restaurants at the Blanc and parking is allowed .
French have Douanes, or customs, don’t be alarmed if two motorbike riders put on the blue lights to ■■■■■■ the truck to a checkpoint with a mobile x ray scanner.
Sniffer dogs in the cab and a rumage in the trailer .
Check with your boss about employment proof and contracts to show the Gendarmarie .
Never leave valuable stuff in the cab, such as fuel cards, passport, bank cards.

dozy:
Bloody hell you’ll never get back Friday night with that run , and there’s me thinking cheddar is a nightmare on a Friday

Now that is the funniest thing you’ve posted :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

TiredAndEmotional:

The Outer Hebrides job and this one is the same one. Shop fittings for a company called Itab Uk. Got a warehouse at Hemell Hempstead and one at Tankersley in Barnsley. They have just got a 12 million pound contract to di all the Morrison’s stalls in the UK. The Outer Hebrides was a CoOp and this one in Rome is a WH Smiths.

Morrison have store in Gibraltar.

European roads are much better than the UK. Went to go see a bridge this week on my week off, just happened that the bridge was 900 miles away at Millau in southern France. Other than stopping for Peages, the odd stretch of single carriageway and the odd truck overtaking another on the 2 lane stretches (odd as in it happened less than a handful of times in over 1000 miles of driving in France, less times than in any 10 mile stretch of the A1 and usually involving a truck with PL plates), it was hit the road, whack cruise control on at the speed limit and crack on drive. The only delay was on the way back last night at J41, A16, the junction just before the Eurotunnel where a tipper driver had decided his truck needed to go have a lie down on the central reservation barrier but even then when that would be a complete road closure event for the UK the Gendarmes just coned the lane off and left the nearside lane running and as I passed they were taking photos of it. As a result at 5.30pm on a major route into a port the total delay time was 10 minutes, mostly due to rubbernecking which seems to be a worldwide thing.

I left Millau at 7.30am, stopped three times to fill up on the way up (sodding MX5s and their crappy little petrol tanks), stopped for breaks, had some lunch and 10hrs later I’d done 580 miles, even though I’d not done the Autoroute all the way, choosing instead to get off at Orleans and take the local roads through Chatres and Dreux up to Rouen.

Dont forget the Getonis …oh dont worry…ask your grandad steve…ha ha have a safe trip and enjoy yourself.

Don t forget who in Italy very very bad to find parking after 6-8 pm.Sometime more worse that in UK.

Andrejs:
Don t forget who in Italy very very bad to find parking after 6-8 pm.Sometime more worse that in UK.

Don’t forget when in Italy it’s a ■■■■■ to find somewhere to park after 6 to 8 pm, in fact might be worse than the UK.

Italian drivers are turbo mental, they want to race everyone, it is great fun :sunglasses:

Hope the weather’s alright for ya. Enjoy.

Cant be any worse than the weather we’ve had up here in ther arctic circle today … have a good trip mate, sure you will love it till you go into the Italian cities as their driving is mental… making me feel a wee bit jealous of you :cry:

Orte used to be a good place to park up. About an hour North of Rome.
I am going back a few years though.