New drivers Jobs what you make of it

This might be agreed with or not by others, here is my take on new drivers and the transport industry. I personally think many people enter this job with too high expectations. I think they believe the job is exciting or even in some way poetic. I started my driving career in the army, I did 6 years and 3 of those were tank transporting based in Germany. In some ways this life was quite exciting and adventurous at times, then you move into civvy street and in the 80s and 90s it was still a bit this way. However in reality moving on to today’s transport drivers, you are spied on with trackers and cameras, under pressure to get loads loaded and off loaded. Made to feel like your a worthless person if you can’t meet the transport managers goals. Your wages are just above the minimum wage and you work all hours god sends to earn a half decent wage. You eat rubbish and live like a dog 6 days a week in order to achieve this. Is there any wonder why most new drivers either quit or become depressed. Who is to blame but ourselves for allowing this to happen. I had less hardship in the army and I went into two war zones. It’s time to fight back and to value the job once again. Stop the winging and whining and stand together and look out for these poor delusional new drivers and give them a help, a positive outlook can go a long way to making the job better, but instead of snitching on your mates trying to earn brownie points, help the buggers and drivers should stick together. Is this likely to ever happen? Like ■■■■ it is.

Thanks.

A.

Will never happen, the industry is too diverse.

A decent car transporter driver can earn 50k for an early Monday start and a mid-afternoon Friday finish and be very happy with his lot.

How can you compare that to someone doing general, constantly harrassed, running in on a Saturday for £8 an hour?

We all make our choices on how hard we are willing to work, sitting playing on your phone on POA for hours each week in a RDC etc, or look for something more challenging.

Your comments will echo with many on here.

Unfortunately, it’s all been said before. I’m confident that better read drivers than myself will break your post down and say that the problems are the drivers own doing, simply for putting up with the crap we’ve been given, and made to feel that " we are lucky to have a job". I’ve heard that one many a time before now.

For me, the problem goes back many years, when as you suggest, we all did used to stick together. We used to have trade unions who would be there to provide better conditions, alas, today, a union rep will simply sit with you whilst you are being discplined or even sacked!

I take my hat off to you for serving in war zones and taking part in active service.

You do raise many a problem. I for one will and always have helped other drivers. Some old some new. It doesn’t matter to me, but I will always offer a hand.

I’m thinking we are all just trying to chase the same thing and as many , many a driver have said before, it’s now a race to the bottom.

I used to drive tank transporters too (3sqn Sennelager), forget that, it gives you a skewed vision of life. It is what it is, nothing more, nothing less. It’s very easy to overthink things.

Judehamish:
Will never happen, the industry is too diverse.

A decent car transporter driver can earn 50k for an early Monday start and a mid-afternoon Friday finish and be very happy with his lot.

How can you compare that to someone doing general, constantly harrassed, running in on a Saturday for £8 an hour?

We all make our choices on how hard we are willing to work, sitting playing on your phone on POA for hours each week in a RDC etc, or look for something more challenging.

Very well put JH. I occasionally do the odd day on curtainsider/retail delivery work if Im quiet on my usual steel transport, and I must say the demeanor of the guys in the RDCs is just pathetic. They look a beaten downtrodden bunch. Theres always the comments that the RDC staff are rude and unhelpful, but is it any wonder with the negative attitude of some drivers? Ive never had any trouble with RDC people…and Ive been to Tescos!!!
For goodness sake…look around! Theres other stuff out there. If youre just a lazy bones, then carry on at the RDCs, and keep on complaining, but remember, as in most things in life the more you put in the more youll get out.

My only complaint about the job in general is with the attitude of drivers nowadays, still some good lads on the road but a lot of drivers with an attitude of me me me me. I am still tramping and happy enough with my lot, not reading anything in it or over analysing it. It is what it is and we either accept it or do something about it. I was not talking about money and comparing drivers who earn 50k and others on £8 p/h. I was talking about drivers sticking together and comradeship like there used to be regardless of money!!!

Here we go again. Another “woe is me, aren’t drivers put upon” thread. What makes you think any other industry in this country isn’t downtrodden? Why are lorry drivers a special case and deserve to be treated like royalty?

This country is ■■■■■■. Public sector wages have stagnated (gone down in real terms) and the perks of working for the government slowly eroded. The private sector is ■■■■■■, regard less of industry the staff on the bottom rung are treated like dirt and the priority is always to the shareholders.

There aren’t many jobs in this country worth having anymore, and the ones that are required you to know the right nod and handshake, qualifications be damned.

If you don’t believe me, hang up your keys and try and find this mythical “worth having” job. Just let me know how you get on.

If you become stressed driving a lorry I think you would need to question yourself as there is far worse stressful environments/sectors to work in. Either way I get what your getting at.

SouthEastCashew:
If you become stressed driving a lorry I think you would need to question yourself as there is far worse stressful environments/sectors to work in. Either way I get what your getting at.

Are you seriously suggesting that I am stressed with the job and need to look at myself■■? I have been in two war zones you muppet, driving a friggin wagon up the motorway is hardly stressful to me. I am talking about the attitude to the newer drivers who cannot call on their work mates to dig them out and give a bit of their experience to them. Nothing more nothing less, it is of no wonder these new drivers get stressed is what I am saying when no one will give them the time of day. No doubt your one of these muppetts who think they are above that.

UKtramp:

SouthEastCashew:

Are you seriously suggesting that I am stressed with the job and need to look at myself■■? I have been in two war zones you muppet, driving a friggin wagon up the motorway is hardly stressful to me. I am talking about the attitude to the newer drivers who cannot call on their work mates to dig them out and give a bit of their experience to them. Nothing more nothing less, it is of no wonder these new drivers get stressed is what I am saying when no one will give them the time of day. No doubt your one of these muppetts who think they are above that.

But is that the fault of younger drivers not asking for help? I’ve never been refused help when I’ve asked, whether strangers or not. Nor have I denied help to anyone who’s asked. Society isn’t what it was twenty years ago, kids these days can’t communicate properly unless it’s through an LCD screen.

Butcher:
Your comments will echo with many on here.

Unfortunately, it’s all been said before. I’m confident that better read drivers than myself will break your post down and say that the problems are the drivers own doing, simply for putting up with the crap we’ve been given, and made to feel that " we are lucky to have a job". I’ve heard that one many a time before now.

For me, the problem goes back many years, when as you suggest, we all did used to stick together. We used to have trade unions who would be there to provide better conditions, alas, today, a union rep will simply sit with you whilst you are being discplined or even sacked!

I take my hat off to you for serving in war zones and taking part in active service.

You do raise many a problem. I for one will and always have helped other drivers. Some old some new. It doesn’t matter to me, but I will always offer a hand.

I’m thinking we are all just trying to chase the same thing and as many , many a driver have said before, it’s now a race to the bottom.

Obviously from the same era mate, what a set of pratts we now work among st, no disrespect to most on here intended. Just from a different period.

UKtramp:
Are you seriously suggesting that I am stressed with the job and need to look at myself■■? I have been in two war zones you muppet,

Only two then you’re oviously a beginner, I been in literally hundreds over the last 21 years that I’ve been married to me uver arf !! :laughing:

The problem with most things in the UK is that we all want it cheap, it makes us all suffer, until we all understand this, it will never improve.
British people are cheap…You are welcome to them and all the other personality traits that are negative, jealousy, envy, pride, sloth, ■■■■…It is all too depressing for a person who wants a fruitful and meaningful life, you lot are your own worst enemies…I am off.

Well I’m a new driver and this doesn’t match my experience at all. I passed c2 in august, found a great agency imedately (I know that will get some of you fired up) and was placed on a dhl contract where I was never pushed never chased just left to get on with the job. Passed c1 in September and continued at the same site doing a mix of c1/c2. Work dried up around April however not one day have I been without work as the agency got me in on another dhl site which was supposed to only be a day, been here ever since with talk of going permanent. All c1 work still never chased never pushed it takes as long as it takes. Work days, home every night (suits me as I have young kids) and get 10.50ph paye, average 50hrs a week so by my workings that is About 27K for day work doing a job that I love. Hasn’t stopped me from applying for a higher paid job nearby but you will never catch me driving a truck for some of the rates I’ve seen offered.
Also never have I had a driver refuse help when I’ve asked nor have I ever refused to help a driver. However I can certainly understand people being depressed if the spend their life delivering to supermarkets. I’ve always arrived at drops with a smile and cheery attitude however my day has been so far but those places ■■■■ the soul out of you, you get nothing but a bad attitude and a 4 hour wait in return.
Never left me feeling stressed though and if it did I would’ve been looking for a different job. (Don’t have to go to those places now anyway)

jimbobb:
Well I’m a new driver and this doesn’t match my experience at all. I passed c2 in august, found a great agency imedately (I know that will get some of you fired up) and was placed on a dhl contract where I was never pushed never chased just left to get on with the job. Passed c1 in September and continued at the same site doing a mix of c1/c2. Work dried up around April however not one day have I been without work as the agency got me in on another dhl site which was supposed to only be a day, been here ever since with talk of going permanent. All c1 work still never chased never pushed it takes as long as it takes. Work days, home every night (suits me as I have young kids) and get 10.50ph paye, average 50hrs a week so by my workings that is About 27K for day work doing a job that I love. Hasn’t stopped me from applying for a higher paid job nearby but you will never catch me driving a truck for some of the rates I’ve seen offered.
Also never have I had a driver refuse help when I’ve asked nor have I ever refused to help a driver. However I can certainly understand people being depressed if the spend their life delivering to supermarkets. I’ve always arrived at drops with a smile and cheery attitude however my day has been so far but those places ■■■■ the soul out of you, you get nothing but a bad attitude and a 4 hour wait in return.
Never left me feeling stressed though and if it did I would’ve been looking for a different job. (Don’t have to go to those places now anyway)

Don’t come in here with your first hand experience, UKTramp is stressed and needs a rant, he knows more than you about you.

He’s not stressed though, no siree Bob, its you who’s stressed, not him.

A.

UKtramp:
This might be agreed with or not by others, here is my take on new drivers and the transport industry. I personally think many people enter this job with too high expectations. I think they believe the job is exciting or even in some way poetic. I started my driving career in the army, I did 6 years and 3 of those were tank transporting based in Germany. In some ways this life was quite exciting and adventurous at times, then you move into civvy street and in the 80s and 90s it was still a bit this way. However in reality moving on to today’s transport drivers, you are spied on with trackers and cameras, under pressure to get loads loaded and off loaded. Made to feel like your a worthless person if you can’t meet the transport managers goals. Your wages are just above the minimum wage and you work all hours god sends to earn a half decent wage. You eat rubbish and live like a dog 6 days a week in order to achieve this. Is there any wonder why most new drivers either quit or become depressed. Who is to blame but ourselves for allowing this to happen. I had less hardship in the army and I went into two war zones. It’s time to fight back and to value the job once again. Stop the winging and whining and stand together and look out for these poor delusional new drivers and give them a help, a positive outlook can go a long way to making the job better, but instead of snitching on your mates trying to earn brownie points, help the buggers and drivers should stick together. Is this likely to ever happen? Like [zb] it is.

Years ago a national Drivers strike was called,to get £1.00 an hour many like BRS etc adhered to the strike,but there was a fair amount that did not, especially small companies or drivers who worked on bonus related wages or percentage of the vehicle earnings.
One particular firm not mentioning its name near Coleshill was also into farming,topped up its drivers wages with produce off the farm,they where more concerned that would stop if they striked for a decent pay rise.
Same as drivers who as long as they have a new motor with all the gismos every three years will drive for a pittance.
I used to call them the 10 bob and bucket brigade drive all week and clean the motor on Saturday for nothing,rather than have an older motor and a £1 an hour
Drivers sticking together is not something that happened then and is not likely to happen now.

lolipop:

UKtramp:
This might be agreed with or not by others, here is my take on new drivers and the transport industry. I personally think many people enter this job with too high expectations. I think they believe the job is exciting or even in some way poetic. I started my driving career in the army, I did 6 years and 3 of those were tank transporting based in Germany. In some ways this life was quite exciting and adventurous at times, then you move into civvy street and in the 80s and 90s it was still a bit this way. However in reality moving on to today’s transport drivers, you are spied on with trackers and cameras, under pressure to get loads loaded and off loaded. Made to feel like your a worthless person if you can’t meet the transport managers goals. Your wages are just above the minimum wage and you work all hours god sends to earn a half decent wage. You eat rubbish and live like a dog 6 days a week in order to achieve this. Is there any wonder why most new drivers either quit or become depressed. Who is to blame but ourselves for allowing this to happen. I had less hardship in the army and I went into two war zones. It’s time to fight back and to value the job once again. Stop the winging and whining and stand together and look out for these poor delusional new drivers and give them a help, a positive outlook can go a long way to making the job better, but instead of snitching on your mates trying to earn brownie points, help the buggers and drivers should stick together. Is this likely to ever happen? Like [zb] it is.

Years ago a national Drivers strike was called,to get £1.00 an hour many like BRS etc adhered to the strike,but there was a fair amount that did not, especially small companies or drivers who worked on bonus related wages or percentage of the vehicle earnings.
One particular firm not mentioning its name near Coleshill was also into farming,topped up its drivers wages with produce off the farm,they where more concerned that would stop if they striked for a decent pay rise.
Same as drivers who as long as they have a new motor with all the gismos every three years will drive for a pittance.
I used to call them the 10 bob and bucket brigade drive all week and clean the motor on Saturday for nothing,rather than have an older motor and a £1 an hour
Drivers sticking together is not something that happened then and is not likely to happen now.

That’s because driving covers a massive scope of work, you’ve just pointed out that guys were given something much better than a quid an hour but think they are wrong for not striking.

Those striking probably have it crap, not everyone does.

A.

Adonis.:

jimbobb:

Don’t come in here with your first hand experience, UKTramp is stressed and needs a rant, he knows more than you about you.

A.

Do you know what, you may be right it is me stressed, oh ■■■■ its me, ■■■■ the new drivers and anyone else that’s not on the same money as I am. Thank god I got that off my chest. I am now de stressed. Cheers guys you’ve saved me a fortune in therapy bills. Oh well everyone has a different opinion. Only one thing I disagree with though, Drivers not sticking together, we should and I will still always help a new driver out even if they are a set of self righteous pratts. I am going to join fat as a fox channel, now there’s a good driver.

UKtramp:

Adonis.:

jimbobb:

A.

Do you know what, you may be right it is me stressed, oh [zb] its me, [zb] the new drivers and anyone else that’s not on the same money as I am. Thank god I got that off my chest. I am now de stressed. Cheers guys you’ve saved me a fortune in therapy bills. Oh well everyone has a different opinion. Only one thing I disagree with though, Drivers not sticking together, we should and I will still always help a new driver out even if they are a set of self righteous pratts. I am going to join fat as a fox channel, now there’s a good driver.

Stop drinking before breakfast, you’re making yourself look silly.

A.