Salary Vs Hourly...?

What would you say is a ‘good’ salary, compared to an hourly rate when offered a job?

Anyone know a rough way to work out salaries Vs Hourly… .?

Depends on what hours you are expected to do, job and knock can work better when salaried up to the point when somebody at the top decides that you are paid for X hours a week and they want to get X+ out of you so that they can sack or force redundancy on a percentage of the workforce.

What is the rota/ shift pattern? How many days will you be contracted to work in the year (before holidays)? It’ll probably be somewhere around 280. Salary/ that number gives you your daily rate divide again by the number of hours you’ll be expected to work on average each day to get the hourly rate.

Go the other way to work out likely yearly income from an hourly rate. Daily or weekly overtime? How much more and when does it kick in? How much are you likely to be expected to do? Are there periods in the year when o/time dries up?

Any premiums from either for bank holidays and/ or extra shifts?

A lot of factors to take into consideration when looking at the pay packet and whether its worth it to you.

We pay our guys on a salary which works out well from both sides.

They’re contracted for 45 hours per week Mon-Fri days, no weekends or bank holidays BUT they occasionally have to work over to get the job done (with no extra pay). So on them weeks it works out better for the company.

On the other hand, if they get their loads delivered and/or there’s not a lot of work on certain days they are on job on knock. So works out better for the drivers.

Overall, I reckon the drivers get the best out of it as they don’t have a ridiculous work load so can easily get an early finish once or twice a week.

Castillidie:

They’re contracted for 45 hours per week Mon-Fri days, no weekends or bank holidays BUT they occasionally have to work over to get the job done (with no extra pay). So on them weeks it works out better for the company.

On the other hand, if they get their loads delivered and/or there’s not a lot of work on certain days they are on job on knock. So works out better for the drivers.

Overall, I reckon the drivers get the best out of it as they don’t have a ridiculous work load so can easily get an early finish once or twice a week.

Well if the drivers get the best out of it the company will soon put a stop to that !!

bald bloke:

Castillidie:

Well if the drivers get the best out of it the company will soon put a stop to that !!

Probably not mate. The collection site is only open from 8am - 4pm and we can only collect what they produce each day. Some days there’s more available than others.
Then the tank would need cleaning out if we wanted to do any other work with it, so just isn’t worth it.

Only place Ive ever worked salaried was for Comet doing home deliveries.
“Oh youre paid for 10 hours but if your runs done in 8 you still get the 10 paid but if it goes over theres no extra. It all balances out though”
Did it ■■■■■■■■. Every bloody day for two weeks I was doing 12 - 14 hour shifts. So I jacked it in and will never work salaried again. Any company that offers it knows that somewhere along the line they come out the best in it with unpaid work. No way they allow it to continue if they can save money from it

Hourly.

Most hourly jobs I know guarantee you x number of hours a week anyway in your contract, so if you finish early your still getting your basic pay & if you go over you get overtime. Win win.

Drivers mostly lose in salaried jobs. I would only consider a salary if it was a bread rat type job, where you have a set run and finish as soon as it’s done.

rob22888:
Hourly.

Most hourly jobs I know guarantee you x number of hours a week anyway in your contract, so if you finish early your still getting your basic pay & if you go over you get overtime. Win win.

Drivers mostly lose in salaried jobs. I would only consider a salary if it was a bread rat type job, where you have a set run and finish as soon as it’s done.

Yep mines an hourly paid X guaranteed a week and OT
Zb working salaried again you lose boss always wins

Had my suspicions that salaried would be a bit of a no no in this game…

Just takes one (or several) F ups over the weeks / months / year, and that’s you working for probably nowt somewhere down the line…

To compare any job, however its paid, divide the top line by the number of hours worked, equals a mean average hourly rate, then make adjustments for weekend/bank holiday/shifts etc.

I’m on salary, earning more for every hour i work than i was on the car transporters though the top line is obviously lower cos i average a 43’ish hour week.
If we went on hourly pay i’d either lose a fair slice or have to work another 10+ hours a week.

Of course we get crappy weeks when it all goes ■■■■ up, or orders are piling in so we have to go and do what we do, but then another week will be ■■■■ easy and my total hours are about 32, swings and roundabouts.

I tend to agree with not being on salary if you are hire and reward though, but then hourly pay isn’t paid properly any more at many hire and reward operators either.

I’m salaried in my current job. Contracted to 48 hours per week. I average around 45 hours per week. If the boss occasionally asks us to go in on our day off, he pays us overtime rate.

The salary thing works okay for me and my lifestyle. Not for everyone though. I would be very wary of going into another salaried job without knowing the full in and outs.

Plenty of firms in the area I live in, but most pay peanuts so consider my lot okay. My salary works out to £11.47 per hour - over the contacted 48

I was salaried in my last job and paid for 48 hrs but wasn’t pushed too hard and averaged about 42 hrs and that was showing no poa and minimal breaks but at times they wanted that extra run as basically it was free for them as I was salaried, now I’m hourly paid with a guaranteed 9 hrs a day and an enhanced rate once I go past the 9 hr mark.

When I was salaried I never raced about but I do now prefer being hourly paid and if I have a pig of a day I earn more money .

bald bloke:
I was salaried in my last job and paid for 48 hrs but wasn’t pushed too hard and averaged about 42 hrs and that was showing no poa and minimal breaks but at times they wanted that extra run as basically it was free for them as I was salaried, now I’m hourly paid with a guaranteed 9 hrs a day and an enhanced rate once I go past the 9 hr mark.

When I was salaried I never raced about but I do now prefer being hourly paid and if I have a pig of a day I earn more money .

Your last sentence the phrase that winds every forkie up
"I don’t mind waiting I’m paid by the hour "

Salary - mate works for solstor and often runs in sat and so he says gets £150 ( sat rate ) for it ( still not happy ) , I’d get £36 for the same 2 hours ( hourly ) ( and I’m not zb happy :either lol: ) , I’ve had a few salary jobs , mainly trunking and it was a good number on a salary .
It’s swings and r/abouts, there’s good and bad in both

I’m salaried. Job and knock.
Start at 8am most days home by 1pm. Sometimes like today home by 11.
Rarely ever later than 3pm.

I don’t see how that isn’t beneficial to me.

109LWB:
I’m salaried. Job and knock.
Start at 8am most days home by 1pm. Sometimes like today home by 11.
Rarely ever later than 3pm.

I don’t see how that isn’t beneficial to me.

That is to you , but I do general haulage so salaried is no good for me

Been on salary for coming upto 3 years now. Not earning massive money, but earning more that I ever have done, and working the least hours since getting my licences 11 years ago. Very rarely hit 50hrs duty a week, and being on fridges plenty of time on the bunk!

im on 4on 4off salaried for 48hr per week., regardless of weekends or bank holidays. Each day is £128.90 so it works out at £23,459.80. Overtime is time and a half so a good whack for 12hr.

Some weeks I do 55 hours, the weekends though are no more than 8hr shift, often 6hr so swings and roundabout.

20 days holiday means I work 162 days a yeah which equates to £144 a day

It’s a bit annoying when salaried or hourly paid that more effort seems to be made by management to reduce “bunk time” than reduce “fuel waste” by going on wild-goose-chase runs, “fresh air” collections, or not hanging around an extra 10 minutes so you can run full up rather than leaving stuff behind for the “next” run etc.

I would have thought that “management priority” would be to maximize revenues & profits for the firm and make so-called efficiency savings at the expense of the staff very last of all… :unamused:

blue estate:

rob22888:
Hourly.

Yep mines an hourly paid X guaranteed a week and OT
Zb working salaried again you lose boss always wins

I’ve always found it the other way around. Usually need to be flat out to earn on hours, and some firms (cough, maritime) like to park you up on your guaranteed. Whereas on salary, I tend to dictate the pace, and only do an avoidable reduced rest if it suits me. We have a new contract starting in September and the new drivers are going to be on hours (customers request as they’re paying) and it looks a good package, but where my nights out are paid guaranteed, they won’t have that luxury, meaning they’ll have to do a 14 hour day to earn what I do in 12 or less