queen liz

just watched video of new carrier going under forth bridge, I thought it was HMS Queen Elisabeth but it says ROB on the side (sorry no pick as cant stop video to capture it)

hotel magnum:
just watched video of new carrier going under forth bridge, I thought it was HMS Queen Elisabeth but it says ROB on the side (sorry no pick as cant stop video to capture it)

Any frilly curtains on it?

hotel magnum:

It’s my nameplate, I started a new job this morning driving it.
:smiley:

(It’s RO8)

robroy:
(It’s RO8)

It’s R08

Glen A9:

robroy:
(It’s RO8)

It’s R08

I said that :neutral_face:
:smiley:

robroy:

No, you said RO8, it’s R08 (zero eight).
R indicates an aircraft carrier, followed by a two digit number.

Ark Royal was R07.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennant_number

You said Romeo Oscar Eight mate.

Glen said Romeo Zero Eight.

Pacquiao - Marquez Fight 4_2.jpg

Ok I got the O and the 0 wrong.
Thanks for that. :neutral_face:
My Dad is ex Royal Navy, I should have known. :blush:
Promise to do 20 (not 2O) press ups. :laughing:

it will always be ROB though

hotel magnum:
it will always be ROB though

Ahhhh that’s sweet…nobody has ever said that to me before, I’m touched.
:laughing:

HMS Illustrious was R06… I know this because my Son served on board before she was decommissoned… He is now serving on the HMSPoW which is the sister ship to the QE and is still in build…

anyway that’s not a real one robroy its an airfix kit. I can see the glue or is it
I know some people love things too much

It’s the ship’s Penent number like a reg plate for a war ship the letters distinguish the ship type and the number is mostly random but the carriers are sequential sometimes if there was an old ship with the Penent number the new one takes it on ie ham Coventry that was sunk in the Falklands was d98 and the one they named after it was f98 d for destroyer f for friget sorry for the long post I spent a bit time learning about it

Pity you never learned its a Frigate not a friget cos that’s what you do to the local village bike, aka Doris … :slight_smile:

This was when we had proper ones. :wink:

eacott.com.au/gallery/d/1674 … 4%2B06.jpg

Carryfast:
This was when we had proper ones. :wink:

eacott.com.au/gallery/d/1674 … 4%2B06.jpg

not that proper really

If anyone spots N08 on the side of a truck, could well be dozy

Can’t understand why they took the Harrier out of service.
If they had continued and developed the vertical take off planes the carrier would not have to be so ■■■■ big…bigger target.

robroy:
If they had continued and developed the vertical take off planes the carrier would not have to be so [zb] big…bigger target.

Apparently the Harrier used to consume massive amounts of fuel doing a vertical take off or landing, which isn’t probably such an issue when working over dry land, but could become a tad worrying when in the middle of the Atlantic! If you’ve got a floating runway you may as well use it I suppose.

the maoster:

robroy:
If they had continued and developed the vertical take off planes the carrier would not have to be so [zb] big…bigger target.

Apparently the Harrier used to consume massive amounts of fuel doing a vertical take off or landing, which isn’t probably such an issue when working over dry land, but could become a tad worrying when in the middle of the Atlantic! If you’ve got a floating runway you may as well use it I suppose.

It was also to do with the safety record of the harrier , it was one of the worst in the world ( if not the worst ) due to Americans not being skillful enough to fly the notoriously difficult plane and the inevitable ball of flames on the side of a hill following some TOP GUN style show boating lol !!

I was involved in the building of the ship up until 12 months ago when after 19 years I gave up a big grey metal box for a smaller white one with wheels :laughing: