Notice Periods....

As my seemingly inevitable return to driving inches closer day after day, I’ve started thinking about notice periods.

Specifically my current office based role has a 4 week notice period…most driving vacancies I’m seeing at the minute seem to want “immediate starts”…Hmmmmmmm…

:confused:

DonutUK:
As my seemingly inevitable return to driving inches closer day after day, I’ve started thinking about notice periods.

Specifically my current office based role has a 4 week notice period…most driving vacancies I’m seeing at the minute seem to want “immediate starts”…Hmmmmmmm…

A half decent company wanting your services should respect a notice period, but 4 week notice periods is much longer than most prospective drivers would have to give.

If you have made your mind up office work isn’t for you, I’d just hand your notice in now & then start looking so the notice period starts getting shorter, you should be able to find a decent driving job in 4 weeks.

You always have the option of not telling them youre leaving and going on the sick. When you’ve been paid tell them you’re not going back. Dishonest i know. But if you dont need the reference its an option

In the construction game it used to be common for a machine driver to just not turn up and reappear on for someone else soon afterwards.

I’m afraid I’m not the sort of person who could go on the sick just to leave a job…would just rather be honest with my boss…see if he would let me go early.

Need to think on this some more…Will be seeing my boss in a couple of days…might be time for some cards on the table…

Just done a similar thing today…

Got an interview Saturday, and so told boss…

Will be asking what notice I have to give or, if the interviewer asks when can I start (straight away), can I go Monday…?

i once applied for a job got it gave in my notice, but then was asked if I could start earlier asked old boss no sweat when would I like to leave, so I can only assume he knew I did my best whilst I was there.

hotel magnum:
i once applied for a job got it gave in my notice, but then was asked if I could start earlier asked old boss no sweat when would I like to leave, so I can only assume he knew I did my best whilst I was there.

Orrr, plot twist, he thought you were ■■■■ and wanted you off the payroll asap :laughing:

DonutUK:

As it’s office based, they will probably expect you to work the notice period. Gives them time to advertise, recruit someone else for the role you have, or get someone working with you until you leave and they can fill it. In our place people have been put on gardening leave when they handed in thier notice, however they don’t get their P45 until the notice period has ended.