Daf cf75 gearbox problem

Hi to anyone that reads this. Not sure I am doing this right! Anyhow I have a Daf cf75, it sometimes won’t let me across the box. It is a 8 speed box. For instance if I go from 4th (low box) to 5th (high box) it physically pushes the gear stick towards the right hand side only allowing me to get 7th or 8th! It can also happen the other way as I try to change down from 7 to 6 it will do the same. Anybody have any suggestions please?

I had similar and it was one of the bolts on the gearbox had sheared as I caught that bump on the sliproad at J11a M5. Mine wouldn’t stay in any gear where the stick was pushed forwards. I lost a second bolt climbing Birdlip, luckily it was the other one controlling the 1st and 3rd.

Is it the ZF box?. I did a syncro repair on mine and after spending all that money i refitted it and had the same problem. I felt really bad as the box was now worse than when i took it out. No one could enlighten me, but after 2 months of low usage there was a funny noise came off it as approaching a roundabout and since then has been perfect.
Could have been an air or hydraulic lock somewhere in the many control fittings at the box. sorry it doesnt give you an answer.

had this happen on nearly every w reg DAF 85 we had in Northampton years ago ,and we had quite a few, but on 16 sp ZF , its like the whole 1 2 5 6 has gone , just leaving you with 3 4 7 8 plus splitter. turned out to be a duff spring somewhere in the box if I remember , it was a whole batch of ZF boxes with the same fault. on ours though it tended to be a workshop job when it happened.

That will be the gate protection ,It is there so when above a certain speed ,I cant remember ,but it gets an air signal ,and prevents you selecting 1st &2nd above the pre defined speed so you don’t trash the box ,a few things can cause your issue ,the main one was the valve hydraulics ,so the valve on the opposite end of where the gearlever connects will have a air pipe on it ,take the banjo bolt off and remove the pipe ,generally you will find traces of oil in the banjo bolt ,if you do you have this issue …You can either buy a new valve ,or just new internals

Another cause but more rare ,is the switch on the piston at the range change ,make sure plunger below the switch is free to move

Thanks all for your replies. Having rang & spoke to a Daf technician I think it the gate protection as well. However 2 different dealers parts department do not know what this is! I spoke to the fitter who out me through to the parts department after explaining what I wanted. They sent out the part & my fitter put it on but the next time out it did the same. My fitter said he didn’t think the high low valve would have fixed it! So it ends up they sent the wrong valve & we fitted it! When I rang them back they said they don’t know what valve I am talking about

So they sold you the range change protection valve …It shouldn’t be hard for them to find the part ,They have the chassis number they look at the turret diagram ,and on the end it the gate protection valve ,they may have to go in to the L diagram …But they must be pretty useless if they cant find it …What is your chassis number just the 6 digits after the 0E

I have just made up a chassis number and found the part in minutes ,wether it is the correct number for youi don’t know …so it is there …And I am not a storeman

I will try & get the serial number tonight when I’m back in the yard thanks

The serial number is 615307 thanks.

The part numbers supersede ,Your vehicle looks as though it doesn’t have servoshift …So the part number should be 1638167…They wont have the item in stock ,and id be amazed if they did …Though if you give them that part number they should be able to confirm that it comes complete ,which it should …I have just checked it on the DAF system so it does exist …You appear to have a dealer that’s stores dept are very competent

Thanks very much for that. I have just spoken to my local dealer who doesn’t know where it fits or what it’s for. But it is called a mounting kit & it’s £38.79 being delivered on Thursday! I will post on here what the outcome is but don’t hold your breath as I’m not sure when the lorry is out next. It’s a plant lorry so next time one of our machines need moving I’ll find out!

If they knew how to use their parts catalogue it would show them the part lol…The parts are listed separately ,but it supersedes on to 1 part number ,1 for servoshift box and 1 for non servoshift box

I rang them back & asked if they had diagram showing it but all he could find was that it said it was a gearbox mounting kit. I have since put the part number into the internet & found a photo of it on some Daf website in Russia!

LOL they are pretty useless…If it helps they pick the picture of the gearbox ,then the L diagram .which then gives the exploded views.They scroll down to the get to the turret diagrams ,there is only a couple and it there lol…Problem then is the part number supersedes…That may be much for them lol

Hopefully get it fitted next week sometime. I’m then away for a week so won’t know for a few weeks if it’s done the job or not!

This must be a truly useless dealer because AFAIK all they have to do is pick up the phone and get onto ‘parts technical’ for assistance.

They have a depot in Bristol & another in Gloucester so I have been asking both parts & service departments for advice. All they wanted me to do was drop it in so they can test drive it. Last week I’d done 60 miles before it played up. Long test drive!

Just a quick note to say the valve was fitted & I have been out the last 2 days with no problems! Thanks very much for your help.