Speeding ticket

I have received a letter from ■■■■■■■ Police saying I was caught doing 48 in a 40 on the 19th of February. I know I shouldn’t have been doing it but it’s done now.

My question is can they still pursue it after 4 months

Not if the vehicle you were nicked in is registered in your name.

However if it was a rental or you had just bought it and it was still registered to the previous keeper, possibly although it does seem way to long to find you and mail you.

It was in a company truck

Thought it had to be within 14 days? I got caught doing 70 in a vehicle restricted to 56mph?? told them to take me to court, never got a follow up… :sunglasses:

happyhebridean436:
It was in a company truck

Way too long then - they must have got in touch with your firm to find out who was driving this vehicle on this particular day - maybe they dragged their feet in replying?

Excalibus:
Thought it had to be within 14 days?
)

The registered keeper has to receive the noip’s within 14 days,.Not the driver of the vehicle at the time of the a ledge offence.

biggriffin:

Excalibus:
)

The registered keeper has to receive the noip’s within 14 days,.Not the driver of the vehicle at the time of the a ledge offence.

Wrong!

The NIP has to be sent within 14 days of the offence. There is nothing in law to say it has to be received within 14 days.

If the Police have evidence that the NIP was sent within the required time they can take a long time to get a case to court. 2 Years seems to ring a bell but not sure why.

It’s often the case with leased or company vehicles that the driver will get the NIP several weeks or months later.

happyhebridean436:
I have received a letter from ■■■■■■■ Police saying I was caught doing 48 in a 40 on the 19th of February. I know I shouldn’t have been doing it but it’s done now. My question is can they still pursue it after 4 months

rip it up, and bin it, not received. Lol :grimacing: it took four months to get to you, I’m sure you can delay it too. :grimacing:

goshow:

biggriffin:

Excalibus:
)

Wrong!

The NIP has to be sent within 14 days of the offence. There is nothing in law to say it has to be received within 14 days.

Nearly right!

The requirement is that the notice be served on the registered keeper within 14 days. If it was sent by 1st class post then it is deemed to have been served on the second business day after the day it was posted (unless proved otherwise). With intervening weekends and bank holidays, it may need to be sent quite a bit earlier than 14 days in order to be legally served within the prescribed timeframe.

Fatboy slimslow:
rip it up, and bin it, not received. Lol :grimacing: it took four months to get to you, I’m sure you can delay it too. :grimacing:

Stupid dumbass advice. If you do that then it’ll go to court anyway and you’ll get a conviction in your absence. You’ll then get an order to surrender your license to get the points added and they’re likely to be more points than if you’d replied.

happyhebridean436:
I have received a letter from ■■■■■■■ Police saying I was caught doing 48 in a 40 on the 19th of February. I know I shouldn’t have been doing it but it’s done now.

My question is can they still pursue it after 4 months

if it goes to magistrates court ( Carlisle ) , take some change for parking as our debit card wouldn’t work in car park payment machine , we had to pop to cash machine in centre by wikos I think it was , then we had to change it in shop , pain in ■■■

Conor:

Fatboy slimslow:

Stupid dumbass advice. If you do that then it’ll go to court anyway and you’ll get a conviction in your absence. You’ll then get an order to surrender your license to get the points added and they’re likely to be more points than if you’d replied.

Says the bloke who can’t even spell licence. What you fail to mention is if the driver pleads his guilt to the offence which he has admitted he can ask to opt for a speed awareness course if he has not been convicted or attended one before.

Give the full facts

discoman:

Conor:

Fatboy slimslow:

Says the bloke who can’t even spell licence. What you fail to mention is if the driver pleads his guilt to the offence which he has admitted he can ask to opt for a speed awareness course if he has not been convicted or attended one before.

Give the full facts

Not sure you will get the course that far over the limit

Conor:

Fatboy slimslow:

nope. :sunglasses: only an NIP. :grimacing: never underestimate the power of stoopid. Lol :unamused:

Conor:

Fatboy slimslow:

Not true Conor, I did that after getting zapped on the A303, when I got the second letter threatening death by firing squad or whatever the penalty was, I called the number on the letter and spoke to them, they faxed me a copy of the photo and I said yes, it was me, but I hadn’t received any NIP and as the 14days were long gone, surely that was the end of it, the nice lady agreed and that was that.

Another time one of my night drivers got captured 5 times on the same camera in a week, it was in roadworks on the M1 and he was going through at 56mph every night. I “misplaced” the NIPs and then when the threatening letters came, I called up and said I hadn’t received the NIPs, they asked for the driver’s name and I again raised the question of the 14day period, the bloke on the phone wasn’t as nice as the lady and it took a bit of back n forth, with my own licence being put under threat. I did question the method of delivery, suggesting a recorded, signed for delivery etc. In the end I think the bloke just gave up.

Things may have changed now, but it worked when I did it around 15yrs ago.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

kcrussell25:

discoman:

Conor:

Fatboy slimslow:

Give the full facts

surely he would,after all it was them that took so long to send it,you should get the option on the NIP, because they took so long the onus is on them.

Yeah it’s too long. What date has the letter got on it?

I’d contact them and point out that the offence was on x date and the letter was dated x date so therefore if they wish to proceed then you wish to take it to court, where it will get thrown out because they are not complying with the rules. Most likely some admin error and once you point out the dates and the law then you will be ok.

Just don’t leave it and do nothing as that will just make it worse.

truckman020:
surely he would,after all it was them that took so long to send it,you should get the option on the NIP, because they took so long the onus is on them.

Why “should” the op get the choice? I don’t see how time will come in regards offering the course.

If its the op’s vehicle he is home free due to time lapse.

If its a company/lease vehicle and the registered keeper was notified in 14 days the police have followed policy and it is THEIR choice what to offer.

My mother in law got caught doing 50 in a 40 a couple of years ago and wasn’t offered the course.

They have 14 days to serve the NIP on the registered keeper.

Once that is done they have six months in which to get the case listed/summons issued (although not necessarily served).

The option of a speed awareness course is down to the police to offer one - It is not an automatic entitlement and not something you can request.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

kcrussell25:

discoman:

Conor:

Fatboy slimslow:

Give the full facts

Friend of mine did exactly that (48 in a 40) and did a course.