Knocked down a wall after only 2 weeks on the road

So after passing my class 2 test in may and landing my first job two weeks ago everything g was going great…until I knocked down a wall!!.

So yeah I hit a bloody wall when trying to reverse back down a road that was clearly to small for my 18 tonne rigid. Luckily nobody was hurt and the wall was only small (around 4ft).

Now reflecting on this over the weekend it’s made me question if I’m even suitable for the job!?

Has anyone experienced or felt like this as a new driver ?

You ain’t a driver unless you’ve knocked a wall down.
No one died, crack on.

I’ve knocked 3 walls down I can think of ,1 in the pick up ,1 with the side guards on a wider than legal low loader ,and 1 with the trailer wheels on a corner ,and no one saw any of them :laughing:

What! No Renault Megane Scenic parked behind the wall at the time?
I trashed both the wall and the car with the back of the trailer one time, I wasn’t the first to have that wall down either.
It goes with the territory, carry on!

Fair play, I feel a lot better now after reading these replies lol!!

We have a guy at our place who hits something every week. I’d just take your time for the next couple of weeks and get out and walk the route if you ain’t sure if you will fit.

Yep, driving big vehicles, in small places, you’ll inevitably hit stuff. Anyone who reckons they haven’t is either lying, never goes anywhere really tight or drives so carefully they take twice as long than everyone else to get the job done.

I’ve never ever hit a wall. A few fences, a couple of roadsigns and a bollard, but never a wall.

Been there, done that and as far as I’m aware still banned from said employer,

however I like to think I’ve learned from it, it did knock my confidence for a bit but whenever something doesn’t feel right now I double check on foot, if it ain’t gonna fit then it ain’t happening

“Time spent on recce is seldom wasted” as a section commander once told me

Spash9113:
So after passing my class 2 test in may and landing my first job two weeks ago everything g was going great…until I knocked down a wall!!.

So yeah I hit a bloody wall when trying to reverse back down a road that was clearly to small for my 18 tonne rigid. Luckily nobody was hurt and the wall was only small (around 4ft).

Now reflecting on this over the weekend it’s made me question if I’m even suitable for the job!?

I think its very fair to say that every new driver(and some not so new),has these moments. Its called a learning curve, and most employers recognise this. So, my advice is get back behind the wheel and carry right on. Hooefully, having learned a valuable lesson about maintaining your observations, and getting out and looking if youre not sure.
All the best, and stick with it.

1965 I had just passed my car test. No HGV licence needed and I had been out a couple of times with a lorry . Ok until the day I had a crash with a vicar coming the other way along a country lane. He told the local bobby on his push bike a load untruths .
For this reason I have told the wife I do not want any vicar waffling on at my funeral, just get me straight to the crem.
Also hooked the front wing off a Morris Minor with the rear bumper of a Thames pick up. Never fear I drove from 21 - 65 years of age.

Spash9113:

Search dozy, you will realise your a real driver.

come back when you have knocked over a concrete lamp post a cut all the power to a lincolnshire village oooops !

Your a proper Driver now, l have nevery hit a wall (yet) but I crushe’d a brand new BMW.

Spash9113:

It’s good that you feel bad about knocking down a wall, I imagine most of us have had knocks but too many drivers pass it off as part of the job and don’t give a [zb].

Learn from it and keep going, the road haulage industry needs people who care about what they do not people who don’t give a [zb] :wink:

Been there done it have the t shirt after only 9 days out on my own in an artic. Up until then I thought I was doing well!. It does knock the confidence a bit tbh, however as others have said you are bothered about what you have done and like most of us shows that you care. Hope you still have your job as I lost mine… Now driving 8 wheeler to build my confidence back up. Good luck and stick with it.

Spash9113:

In your own words … was clearly to small… so why attempt it or did you only realise that after the wall got in your way :laughing: :laughing:
Lets put it down to an experience,you will know next time :wink: :wink:

Been there, done it (twice) got sacked :smiley:

Crack on and be proud of yourself. :wink:

alans123:
Your a proper Driver now, l have nevery hit a wall (yet) but I crushe’d a brand new BMW.

Was you given a bonus payment for it??

I hit a wall 4 weeks after getting my first job.
Also hit a tree!!