Watch out for this one!

Mate of mine decided to get his car MOTd a month early as he was going on holiday when the ticket ran out.Took car for test and it failed on a bottom ball joint.No problem I was going to do it while he was away in sunnier climes.2 days later he gets a pull for no MOT.
He produced the still valid MOT bit of paper but was informed that because the car had failed a DVSA test this was now invalid and he was being done for driving a vehicle with no MOT.

Be careful gents the SOBs will have you at every turn.

The only way that would happen is if the car was classed as unsafe to drive,but the MOT tester would of informed him of this before he drove it away…or at least should of.

not having a go bking - but unless it was unsafe, this is waiting room chatter

see below

gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

i knew id read this somewhere …hardyd44 have a read thesun.co.uk/motors/3506420 … -is-valid/

hardyd44:
not having a go bking - but unless it was unsafe, this is waiting room chatter

see below

gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Lets hope they give you a tug then if your so clever.

And that’s why a decent relationship with a decent garage is key, my garage would check over my car prior to actually MOT’ing it and tell me the ball joint (or whatever else) was U/S… No official DVSA test would’ve been done so no problem.

Still, worth bearing in mind what you said though as many wouldn’t know about it.

The story isn’t right, I mess about with a lot of cars (junk mainly), and the link in Hardy’s post is what is true.

As long as you are taking it to have work done to rectify it, and it isn’t unroadworthy, you are ok.

Darkside:
The story isn’t right, I mess about with a lot of cars (junk mainly), and the link in Hardy’s post is what is true.

As long as you are taking it to have work done to rectify it, and it isn’t unroadworthy, you are ok.

I don’t think anyone’s questioning that you can drive the vehicle away from a failed MOT, or that you can take it to be repaired, the problem is that a lot of people, myself included, thought that if you take a vehicle for MOT early and it fails for something that wouldn’t be considered dangerous you could still use the vehicle until the current MOT expires, it appears that’s not the case :frowning:

This is good information by Bking that’s worth knowing.

tachograph:

Darkside:

I don’t think anyone’s questioning that you can drive the vehicle away from a failed MOT, or that you can take it to be repaired, the problem is that a lot of people, myself included, thought that if you take a vehicle for MOT early and it fails for something that wouldn’t be considered dangerous you could still use the vehicle until the current MOT expires, it appears that’s not the case :frowning:

I apologise then, I assumed everyone knew a fail was a fail early or not. Once it had failed any test remaining is scrubbed, I thought this was common knowledge.

tachograph:

That’s got to be the first time I’ve ever seen that written on this forum !! :laughing:

Tgtrucker:

tachograph:

That’s got to be the first time I’ve ever seen that written on this forum !! :laughing:

It’s not rocket science if it’s failed a mot it’s failed even if it’s got 11 months left on

taz1972:

Tgtrucker:

tachograph:

It’s not rocket science if it’s failed a mot it’s failed even if it’s got 11 months left on

Yep, all fairly obvious, basic stuff!
Its not supposed to be driven unless its a trip for the re-test that has been pre booked.

The other pit fall that always makes me chuckle is having no insurance even though its parked off the road and on your own drive!
Lots have been done for no insurance in those exact same circumstances.
Just because its off the road does not exempt the vehicle from being insured! Fine if you can getaway with it, but many have been nicked for it.

I have to admit I didn’t know this either. I thought if it’s got a current MOT that good enough. Thanks for that.

Gembo is not quite correct on what he said. If the car is off the road and parked on private property where the public does not have legal right of access then it doesn’t need insurance but if for example it’s a shared driveway with right of access then it should be insured by law. I’ve a BM sat at the back of our house on a private bit of land but the public can freely use it so that should be insured but hasn’t been for the last 5 years or so and nothing has ever been said.

Spoke to my boy about this, the garage he manages does MOTs.
He reckons rules keep changing since he was hands on, but as far as he knows, there is in effect nothing to stop you driving it as such by law, as technically it has a month to run, but if you do after being told by the examiner it has failed, the insurance is void, so that is when the illegality of driving it kicks in.

taz1972:

+1

If it had failed for having two tyres under the legal limit and a missing seatbelt would you still think it ok to drive because the test you got almost a year ago said it was ok

Copied from the Gov.uk website :-

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

have the failed defects fixed
a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

Checked with our fitter - who is also a DVSA approved MOT tester

Nope old MOT is NOT invalid if car fails a new one, however you can be done for using a un-roadworthy vehicle

and sorry anything that fine upstanding publication “The Sun” prints has to be treated as bullshine

hardyd44:
Checked with our fitter - who is also a DVSA approved MOT tester

Nope old MOT is NOT invalid if car fails a new one, however you can be done for using a un-roadworthy vehicle

and sorry anything that fine upstanding publication “The Sun” prints has to be treated as bullshine

Bit of a contradiction there me thinks …

raymundo:
Gembo is not quite correct on what he said. If the car is off the road and parked on private property where the public does not have legal right of access then it doesn’t need insurance but if for example it’s a shared driveway with right of access then it should be insured by law. I’ve a BM sat at the back of our house on a private bit of land but the public can freely use it so that should be insured but hasn’t been for the last 5 years or so and nothing has ever been said.

I think I am correct if its not declared SORN which is where folk fall down on it. Is it on a SORN?
If not, then it’s illegal. If it is not SORNED , it must be insured! Matters not where the car is kept!
I know of atleast 2 people that have been caught out and fined for no insurance. Both had current tax but they let the insurance run out as they were not using the car so didnt think it was necessary.
Here-vvvvvvvvvv
gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles