No more Beaver

A few months ago I mentioned on a thread that my next move would be my last.

Well…it’s time to do something else :neutral_face: My most recent employers have been excellent, but I simply have no more enjoyment left doing this job.

Long hours, crap pay, dreadful traffic/roadworks & drivers on the road, shocking facilities, no parking, hated by the public, the list goes on and on. Daytrunker’s thread helped tip the scales for me, ■■■■■■■■ to this 50-60 hours a week, you have ONE life only and are a long time dead.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed being part of this community, and the vast majority on here are a great bunch and I have ’ virtually ’ met some great blokes. (They know who they are :wink: ) There’s a few bellend’s on here like there is in life in general, but now there is one less :grimacing:

Keep 'em lit folks, but please stay safe! Thanks to the mod’s for letting me be a knob by the way :laughing:

Best wishes all, Lee.

So what you going to do? I don’t think I could do anything else.

well if everyone keeps getting their life back, there really will be a driver shortage. Good luck to you and who can blame you. Wished I had done it years ago.

You can’t go yet! I’ve not had an argument with you! Always read your posts bud, better than your average dross. I wish you well and wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed (almost!). Fair winds and full sails!

Good luck on your next move, any idea as what you’re going to do?

I think you’ve basically summed up what is wrong with the UK industry and something that one of the Truck Journalists mentioned in an article I read this week, (basically he said that while the Industry thinks it can attract new drivers by telling them whats good about the industry, the truth is there is very little good about the industry to attract new drivers and if they addressed those issues they might attract new drivers.)

Anyway just because you aren’t driving it doesn’t mean you can’t post on here, after all it doesn’t stop Conor putting in his 2 penence worth now and then. :laughing:

Radar19:
So what you going to do? I don’t think I could do anything else.

Not sure mate really, but I will re-train and gain the required credits/qualifications necessary. Probably do a trade as in plumber/spark, something along those lines.

Don’t blame you mate, i’m sick of it for the same reasons.

muckles:
, the truth is there is very little good about the industry to attract new drivers and if they addressed those issues they might attract new drivers.)

Nah they’ll just keep trying to promote new female drivers as that’s the answer to the haulage industries problems apparently. :unamused:

Good riddance.

As flounces go, this is exceedingly poor.

And you’re only supposed to come back and look at who responds… not reply yourself.

the nodding donkey:
Good riddance.

And you’re only supposed to come back and look at who responds… not reply yourself.

:laughing:

Reef:

muckles:
, the truth is there is very little good about the industry to attract new drivers and if they addressed those issues they might attract new drivers.)

Nah they’ll just keep trying to promote new female drivers as that’s the answer to the haulage industries problems apparently. :unamused:

I know it seems the industry will continue to put it’s head in the sand over problems of recruitment and retention of drivers and hope they get another influx of cheap labour or get tax payers money to solve their problem.

An industry truly run by a bunch of out of touch ■■■■■■■■ :imp:

I’m also at this point although not through choice but can I say I will miss it…no I can’t,done enough 3/4am starts in the 13 years I’ve been driving and also enough 12-15 hour days to not miss it.
I’ll be looking for a job to fit around school hours so 9:30 til 14:30 mon-fri,can’t see many driving jobs accommodating those hours tbh so I’ll have to find something that does.

rob22888:
Don’t blame you mate, i’m sick of it for the same reasons.

You are a very intelligent man Rob, and btw I enjoyed working with you :wink: I think sooner or later you too will end up jacking it in.

To put things into perspective, the minimum wage in less than a year will be £8 per hour, and I know for a fact that many on here earn hardly any more than that now for piloting a 44 tonne vehicle through roadworks at 50 mph with 18 inches to spare from the next artic :open_mouth:

It just simply makes no sense, risk/accountability vs [zb] wages/facilities etc… :neutral_face:

Mr Beaver.
Don’t blame you tbh,last few days gone to bed no alarm clocks no worry,no stress ringing work wondering where I’m being sent next day.
Yes I will miss driving heavys but that’s what limping is for.Good luck in what you choose to do,like I have been thinking its not off the road for good its a sanity check to take stock of what’s what and what’s important.

Jeff.

the nodding donkey:
Good riddance.

:grimacing: Usually on here all the time mate as I am sure you know, but all good things must come to an end :wink:

Probably still pop on now and again Mule, the exercise is not one for dramatic purpose, it is simply to explain that I am fed up with the job and am going to ’ exercise ’ my mind in other areas. Rather than ruin my health and do an under valued job for peanuts :slight_smile:

It’s a shame how crap this haulage business is. My Dad would turn in his grave if he knew how bad being a truck driver is now :neutral_face:

eagerbeaver:

the nodding donkey:
Good riddance.

:grimacing: Usually on here all the time mate as I am sure you know, but all good things must come to an end :wink:

Probably still pop on now and again Mule, the exercise is not one for dramatic purpose, it is simply to explain that I am fed up with the job and am going to ’ exercise ’ my mind in other areas. Rather than ruin my health and do an under valued job for peanuts :slight_smile:

It’s a shame how crap this haulage business is. My Dad would turn in his grave if he knew how bad being a truck driver is now :neutral_face:

Same as that. I haven’t driven a truck since January and I’m hoping not to have to do so ever again. The whole job has gone to rat ■■■. I’ve just applied for a job working in a shop from 9 to 5:30, 3 to 4 days a week. It won’t be quite as much money but like they say, there are no pockets in a shroud. :wink:

More doom and gloom. Maybe its time to try something different in the haulage game? You tried farm work? I deliver agrochemicals and fertiliser to farms. Aside from having the odd dodgy place to find, its a pretty laid back job. No waiting around, no miserable goods in clerk, plenty of countryside, normally have a good natter with the farmer or farmhand. If you’re pushed for time, most will let you stay on the farm overnight! No worry about getting done over.

Not always seen eye to eye on a few things but sorry to see you go…genuinely!
You mentioned being reported for tailgating a couple of days ago, is this a factor in your imminent departure?

Would you be able to put forward some suggestions that may improve the industry beaver? Personally i feel there is no one to represent drivers, theres the rha which is the biggest sham out there, ‘love the lorry week’ dear god. They have absolutly no interest in drivers,only there pay cheques. Then theres the driver cpc, why cant drivers stick together and get rid of this? Itl be pay rises for the vosa next and we’ll be payin for it. If uk drivers became a bit more french things might improve.

I’d of thought anyone with any common sense would get trained up first to be a plumber / sparky before leaving a paid job , I spent 4 yrs training to be a engineer ( apprentice on apx £30 p.w , but was a long time ago), let’s hope the training on the jobs your up intending to do arnt that long :exclamation: :exclamation:
But got luck beaver , hope you find what your looking for .