Tax on night out money

Has anyone got any info on this please.the company I work for has said we now have to pay tax on our night out money so on 4 nights £70 in taxable and £20 is non taxable. They say we can offset this by putting in receipts Daily however because all of our trucks are fitted with frigdges and microwaves most of us bring a weeks supply of food with us but they they are saying we can’t submit a weekly bill it has to be one for each night out.this does not seem right to me .is any other company doing this? Thanks.

There’s been at least two threads on this earlier, might be worth a search.

In short, HMRC have decided that without receipts, night out money is taxable. It’s nothing to do with your company, it’s the taxman.

We have got round it by paying a bigger amount of money which is taxable, but is revenue neutral to the drivers. You could ask your company to do that, ie pay say, £32.00 which gives you say £25.00 after tax ( or something like). However it’s not an insignificant hit for the company.

Ye thanks Albion.ive recently been off sick for 4weeks and all this happened whilst I was off . Got big shock on return to find ime £15 a week down on n/o money .some of our drivers say it does not come in to April 18

No, April this year I’m afraid.

Dave wj:
Has anyone got any info on this please.the company I work for has said we now have to pay tax on our night out money so on 4 nights £70 in taxable and £20 is non taxable. They say we can offset this by putting in receipts Daily however because all of our trucks are fitted with frigdges and microwaves most of us bring a weeks supply of food with us but they they are saying we can’t submit a weekly bill it has to be one for each night out.this does not seem right to me .is any other company doing this? Thanks.

You don’t need to have receipts for the full amount, but a receipt to show some expenditure for the night you are out. Some of the night out payment if you have a sleeper is for up keep of bedding and other equipment you need.

Could you get a reciept from a takeaway or shopping from a supermarket?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

nyk473l:

Dave wj:

You don’t need to have receipts for the full amount, but a receipt to show some expenditure for the night you are out. Some of the night out payment if you have a sleeper is for up keep of bedding and other equipment you need.

I was presuming that was the non taxable £20.00 referred to?

El Deano:
Could you get a reciept from a takeaway or shopping from a supermarket?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yes.

The simple answer is for all truck drivers to refuse to do nights out. :wink:

Start keeping receipts from macdees, get a receipts when you get your duvets, n sleeping bag cleaned, when buying your food shop for the week, on Saturday put family shop through first, then put what you take to work thro separate, remember, bog rolls, shower gel, toothpaste, bottled water, cleaning polish for the dash Tec, it’s all tax deductible.

Harry Monk:
The simple answer is for all truck drivers to refuse to do nights out. :wink:

or for companies to pay a decent rate for those doing night outs, too many have used night out money as part of the pay calculation when it was only ever meant as reimbursement for out of pocket expenses incurred when staying away from home during you work.

From an employed drivers point of view nothing has changed. You still get your tax free night out allowance up to £26.00 ish. The only change affects your employer, HMRC just need proof that the tax free night out money has been given to a driver who has actually had a night out !
You don’t need receipts adding up to the value of your night out money, HMRC just need proof e.g. Run/Log sheets, delivery notes, overnight parking receipt, vehicle tracking info (basically anything to show the driver was away). It’s not really any extra work for your employer as they should have all this info on file anyway ! If your employer is telling you that your night out money is now being taxed they are misinterpreting the legislation or just trying to rip you off !
The employer has to apply to HMRC to be able to make these Tax free payments. This is not a new thing as in the past Employers had to apply to be able to pay tax free meal allowances (most drivers are unaware of this as it was dealt with by their Employers accounts dept). Basically it’s a storm in a teacup fed by rumour and false information.

Everrything I have seen has said that there should be a random sample of receipts. Apparently we don’t have to have them for every night, but we have to have a representative sample. It would be a nightmare to say to some drivers get receipts, so from a management log, it’s easier to get everyone to get recrpits.

Or do what we do.

It says ERF not RAF:
From an employed drivers point of view nothing has changed. You still get your tax free night out allowance up to £26.00 ish. The only change affects your employer, HMRC just need proof that the tax free night out money has been given to a driver who has actually had a night out !
You don’t need receipts adding up to the value of your night out money, HMRC just need proof e.g. Run/Log sheets, delivery notes, overnight parking receipt, vehicle tracking info (basically anything to show the driver was away). It’s not really any extra work for your employer as they should have all this info on file anyway ! If your employer is telling you that your night out money is now being taxed they are misinterpreting the legislation or just trying to rip you off !
The employer has to apply to HMRC to be able to make these Tax free payments. This is not a new thing as in the past Employers had to apply to be able to pay tax free meal allowances (most drivers are unaware of this as it was dealt with by their Employers accounts dept). Basically it’s a storm in a teacup fed by rumour and false information.

Not quite right.
To pay the sleeper cab allowance tax free you need to obtain agreement from HMRC in the form of a
bespoke agreement. To get such an agreement, you will are required to:

• get your drivers to retain receipts of the costs they have incurred when they are claiming the
    sleeper cab allowance and
  • undertake a random check of those claims.
    HMRC requires employers who are operating a ‘bespoke agreement’ to have a process in place for
    checking evidence of expenditure incurred by drivers. The system requires drivers to retain evidence
    of costs they incur in the form of receipts and for the employer to have a checking system in place.
    That checking process needs to include an examination of a minimum of 10% of claims (ie drivers) in
    each expenses period (normally one month) and that the employer will select drivers at random to
    ensure that it is not always the same individuals who are selected.
    In reviewing expenses it is not a case of ensuring the £26.20 was incurred on any given day because
    HMRC accepts that taking one day with the next the £26.20 is a reasonable estimate of the costs a
    driver is likely to incur. The demonstrated expense must be broadly in line, however. What qualifies
    as broadly in line is not defined.
    If a driver fails to provide adequate evidence when he/she is selected for review then you will need
    to advise the driver of their failure to provide evidence that they have incurred expense and carry
    out a subsequent review to see if they are now complying. For those drivers who subsequently fail to
    provide adequate evidence HMRC would expect them to no longer be eligible to receive the
    payment free of tax and National Insurance.
    RHA

^^^that…Which explains why we went for a gross figure. The finance manager reckoned it was easier to pay the tax than death by small receipts!

I get £26.20 per night out tax free, for every night I am parked up somewhere, in the course of my employ, if it gets to the stage, they, (Hmrc) want to challenge this, ■■■■■ them, I will no longer do nights out, when a farkin tory barsteward can claim an allowance of thousands for a second home, free of tax, which I pay for through my income tax, and the ■■■■ is cheating the system, well someone needs a big ■■■■■■■ kick in the balls.
Sapper

biggriffin:
Start keeping receipts from macdees, get a receipts when you get your duvets, n sleeping bag cleaned, when buying your food shop for the week, on Saturday put family shop through first, then put what you take to work thro separate, remember, bog rolls, shower gel, toothpaste, bottled water, cleaning polish for the dash Tec, it’s all tax deductible.

If you had a decent gaffer, he would supply all cleaning products for the truck. Why on earth do drivers pay and try and claim it back. No wonder your jobs are getting worse.

biggriffin:

That has always been the case.

If want to go through the hassle of claiming that back it would be up to the individual not your company unless I guess they reimburse you for things like toothpaste…

I would suggest the work involved claiming back the tax on a tube of toothpaste, some shower gel and bottled water would not really be worth it.

This is why there is a tax free sum for nighting out. To cover the driver’s costs. No more.

sapper:
I get £26.20 per night out tax free, for every night I am parked up somewhere, in the course of my employ, if it gets to the stage, they, (Hmrc) want to challenge this, [zb] them, I will no longer do nights out, when a farkin tory barsteward can claim an allowance of thousands for a second home, free of tax, which I pay for through my income tax, and the [zb] is cheating the system, well someone needs a big [zb] kick in the balls.
Sapper

Can we take it your a misinformed Labour can do no wrong supporter.
Its not just Tory MPs its all elected MPs that can claim these expenses irrespective of what party they represent,which makes them all “barstewards”

sapper:
I get £26.20 per night out tax free, for every night I am parked up somewhere, in the course of my employ, if it gets to the stage, they, (Hmrc) want to challenge this, [zb] them, I will no longer do nights out, when a farkin tory barsteward can claim an allowance of thousands for a second home, free of tax, which I pay for through my income tax, and the [zb] is cheating the system, well someone needs a big [zb] kick in the balls.
Sapper

And you think labour do not claim second house expenses … believe it or not it’s cheaper per year than keeping them in a hotel as they have to be in London and their constitutes area… you choose to do nights out, ifmyou don’t like he system try and be an MP and join hem … how can you blame a person from milking the system if it’s open to abuse.■■