(Trampers), How Far Do You Travel To Work?

Question mainly aimed at trampers…

How far do you travel to work…?

Because you travel only twice a week (once there - once back?), are you travelling much further than you normally would for possibly better pay?

Passed my C+E on Tuesday, so just weighing up options on how far I should be willing to travel for work.

Travel for an hour and forty approx. every ten days to two weeks, would stretch to two hours but the job would have to be something special to go over that

66 mile round trip (Harlow to Tilbury) and earning approximately £100 a week net more than I can in Harlow. I’d probably be doing 40 miles a week if I hat a day job on Pinnacles industrial estate, where the likes of Poundland are

So you wouldn’t you consider Newcastle to Carlisle be too far then Mazzer■■?

(East coast to west coast near enough)…?

10 minutes Thringstone to Ellistown about 4 miles.

17 miles each way. In on Monday, back on Friday. My last personal vehicle did just over 6000 miles between 6 MOT’s.

Im 15mins from my yard so its handy and happy with what a get for round my area mon-fri.

Goldfinger:
So you wouldn’t you consider Newcastle to Carlisle be too far then Mazzer■■?

(East coast to west coast near enough)…?

Not if you’re getting the full week away and the difference in the wages covers the diesel cost and some, get an old van and a spot of red helps out too :wink:

It all depends on what the wages are near to you and what the work is like, I’ve been doing Norwich to Harleston for the latest 14 years and previous to that it was Norwich to Eye for 4 years, after I came off the continent.
We had a bloke that did Docaster to Harleston a few years back and we currently have 1 that does Spain to Harleston.
So it’s entirely what suits you and what you want to do. It may take you a few companies to get the 1 you want or you might get lucky and fall into the perfect job. But the best advice anyone on here could give you, is not to be another dozy.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Its Lowestoft to Basildon for me…1hr 50mins…But i go down on Sunday night.Unless truck is in for a service…So its down sunday night home friday night…But that a12 anything before 7pm is a pain.And can take me 3hrs…About 25 a week for fuel in the 1.6 fiesta…Not sure i’d travel much further than that time wise though.Unless it was for a real cracking job…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

40mins 19 Miles each way in on Monday home friday as the evening traffic in to Gosport is bad around 5:30 6pm so no point going home

Out of my gated, detached home! :grimacing: turn right out of gate and wait for green man to cross the road at 40 STEPS! :grimacing: arrive over the road, and work is exactly 180 steps on foot, door to door! :laughing: trafford park, kelloggs! :laughing: night! :smiley:

blue estate:
40mins 19 Miles each way in on Monday home friday as the evening traffic in to Gosport is bad around 5:30 6pm so no point going home

Our lot do three loads a day out of Speedfields in Fareham and it’s usually between 3pm and 6pm that we get there. The traffic is some of the worst I see anywhere in the country. It annoys me and I’m getting paid to sit in it, God knows what it’s like if you’re commuting and aren’t getting paid for it!

Brighton to Bognor Regis (30 miles), been doing it 15 years or there abouts. Really fed up but there’s nothing round our way that pays anywhere near what I get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the maoster:

blue estate:

Our lot do three loads a day out of Speedfields in Fareham and it’s usually between 3pm and 6pm that we get there. The traffic is some of the worst I see anywhere in the country. It annoys me and I’m getting paid to sit in it, God knows what it’s like if you’re commuting and aren’t getting paid for it!

Why do you think i stay at the depot in Fair oak near Eastleigh ,saves me nearly £5 a day

Most of my lot live within 10 miles, mostly less, of the base. However, I have two that live in Manchester and preston way that work out of our Herts depot.

As our work can see you out all week or it might see you home every night,we rent a flat and they stay there if they are doing day runs. Some weekends they don’t go home, which I find odd, but it suits them.

13 miles there on a Tues morning, 13 miles back on a Sat noon. (in a W reg Fiesta that my boy who works for the Ford agent GAVE me. :smiley: )
It’s parked up all week beside brand new this, and 1 yr old that depreciating motors, so I have the dubious honour of having the crappest car in the yard, …but also the one that is losing the least cash depreciation on it. :sunglasses:
But my street cred has turned to ■■■■. :laughing:

robroy:
13 miles there on a Tues morning, 13 miles back on a Sat noon. (in a W reg Fiesta that my boy who works for the Ford agent GAVE me. :smiley: )
It’s parked up all week beside brand new this, and 1 yr old that depreciating motors, so I have the dubious honour of having the crappest car in the yard, …but also the one that is losing the least cash depreciation on it. :sunglasses:
But my street cred has turned to [zb]. :laughing:

Did you even have any to start with ? :laughing: :laughing:

74 miles each way, £200 a week better of for it.

I used to travel 1.5 hours from north Devon to the south coast, but was away for 2 > 3 weeks at a time, and it was definitely worth it as, at the time the company was light years ahead of anybody else in the West Country for pay and conditions.