Alternative to Trucker Timer?

I have been using this App on my iPhone since I started driving.

I’ve found it excellent for keeping track of all the WTD and driver hours issues. However, it isn’t going to be compatible with the next version of iOS. I wrote to the developers a month or two ago to point this out and asked if there would be an update but I haven’t had a response.

I’m assuming now the developer isn’t going to make the necessary changes and I’m going to need an alternative.

Other than tracking hours manually with a spreadsheet does anyone have an great alternative to TruckerTimer?

Bigpaul:

I’ve found it excellent for keeping track of all the WTD and driver hours issues. However, it isn’t going to be compatible with the next version of iOS. I wrote to the developers a month or two ago to point this out and asked if there would be an update but I haven’t had a response.

I’m assuming now the developer isn’t going to make the necessary changes and I’m going to need an alternative.

Other than tracking hours manually with a spreadsheet does anyone have an great alternative to TruckerTimer?

Years ago there used to be TachoTrac,you could find them in most Truckstop shops, don`t know if they are about anymore

lolipop:

Bigpaul:

Years ago there used to be TachoTrac,you could find them in most Truckstop shops, don`t know if they are about anymore

Even further back, we used to add it up in our head, some of us still do!
This is all that’s wrong in the country now, people relying on technology instead of using your nogin!

A page a day diary, available in all good outlets for less than £3. Go through your Tacho menu at the end of each day and write the relevant times down in you diary. Sometimes less really is more.

the maoster:
A page a day diary, available in all good outlets for less than £3. Go through your Tacho menu at the end of each day and write the relevant times down in you diary. Sometimes less really is more.

Good advice. I use one of these…

Brain.png

Personally I’m a fan of technology and see no reason not to use it to make your life easier, but it is more than a little disconcerting to find that people rely on it so heavily and in some cases can’t manage without it.

If you want/need to keep a track of your hours use a notebookfor a while, you’ll probably learn a lot about the regulations when you work out for yourself what you can and cannot do.

I think it’s just easier i use it my self as the dimriving can be upto 30 mins out but the end of the day sometimes. I hope the developer does update it or switch to android

Hope he updates it too. I really lke that app and it is really practical for me.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Grumpy_old_trucker:

lolipop:

Bigpaul:

Even further back, we used to add it up in our head, some of us still do!
This is all that’s wrong in the country now, people relying on technology instead of using your nogin!

In that vain then “grumpy old trucker” shall we take away your electric windows and air con and remote keys and cordless phone etc etc. Oh yeah calculators, TV remote, microwave etc etc.

Technology moves on and we adapt with it or moan about it on a forum.

It’s a personal choice though and everyone is entitled to an opinion, but your wrong lol

Bigpaul:

As a thought why not use a really cheap smartphone say and Android or old iPhone to run the trucker timer app. Something that it doesn’t matter too much about and it does not drain your main phone battery or use a tablet with it on. I had it on a 7" Android tablet as well as my phone when I used to use it.

As an a side of your company uses tachomaster then your compliance person should be able to give you a log in and with mobile data you can view info from tachomaster which helps out a fair bit and shows WTD and available drives etc.

They will need to set you up a user ID and you provide a pin number for you to log in, download the tachomaster app and hey presto.

Thanks for all the responses.

As you can see I’m definitely on the side of using tech if it makes life easier.

I like simcor’s idea of using an old phone and I’ll look into that. I suspect the easiest option for a while will be to just ignore the latest update and keep running version 10.

Perhaps in the meantime I can use all the time waiting to learn how to write my own app

There was an app called TTguard. Has that gone?

Still working just fine on Android… :wink:

A website such as this one could make some money out of such an app if it had one available, especially considering the number of new drivers on here.

I haven’t updated my iPhone due to this issue as the TruckerTimer app is much better than totting up in a notepad. I use it mainly to keep track of my weekly working limit.

I find the info that is available on the digi tacho unit is all you need really, stoneridge has got to be the best at that giving weekly, fortnightly and daily driving and will also display a count down for your 4:30 driving, breaks and how long you have left on your daily shift and will also let you know wether you need a 9 or a 11 daily rest period but found that bit fails if you do a 14 hour shift then take 11+ off it will count it as a 11 instead of a 9, but that maybe because it is using old rules for split daily rest.

I’m on the latest update, 10.3.2 and the App is working fine

A diary. And a pen. And a brain.

The irony of people moaning about technology on an internet forum whilst more than likely using a smart phone to access said internet forum.

Castillidie:
The irony of people moaning about technology on an internet forum whilst more than likely using a smart phone to access said internet forum.

I rarely moan about technology (when it works anyway :smiley: ). What I do have a beef with is using technology to unnecessarily create problems where none existed before, hence why I wondered why you should employ one more piece of tech to tell you exactly what another piece of legally required tech can tell you.

It’s comparable to NASA spending 30 million dollars to attempt (and fail) to develop a pen that would continually write in zero gravity. The Russians who obviously were not obsessed with tech simply used pencils! Simple really.

the maoster:

Castillidie:

I rarely moan about technology (when it works anyway :smiley: ). What I do have a beef with is using technology to unnecessarily create problems where none existed before, hence why I wondered why you should employ one more piece of tech to tell you exactly what another piece of legally required tech can tell you.

It’s comparable to NASA spending 30 million dollars to attempt (and fail) to develop a pen that would continually write in zero gravity. The Russians who obviously were not obsessed with tech simply used pencils! Simple really.

I do agree that using the head unit and indeed a brain to work out the hours etc is simple enough for most folks certain people do really struggle and rely on tech so and I don’t see any problem with it as it’s there to help. Following it blindly is where the problem lies. I just thought peoples responses were quiet ironic.

Also, to sound a bit pedantic (ala carryfast) The Nasa story is a complete myth. Nasa used pencils at a cost off roughly $130 a piece which is what people picked up on. Then a private company (Fisher I believe) spent $1m and created the space pen. That’s when NASA started using them as pencils are relatively dangerous in space flight because they are flammable and if the lead splintered it could cause all damage to inflight equipment.