When did this happen?

I’ve always driven old banger cars. My stock of engine oil finished so I went to Halfords. All the oil seemed to be dedicated to specific car manufactures. e.g. 5/30 for Fords. The in shop computer told me to get BMW/Mercedes for my Zafira. I then went to get some all year round coolant. They all seem to be dedicated as well. What is “OAT” coolant? If I had used water would it have caused a problem?

Oat is organic acid technology. It basically has an anti corrosion additive in it. If you were to put water in a car under warranty they wouldn’t honour the work for a head gasket, as water does tend to eat modern ally heads

Optimum:
so I went to Halfords.

Oils have always been graded. If you did an old banger just buy the cheapest, that’s what I do!

Having made the mistake of putting OAT anti freeze in a 1980’s Jag and then having to flush the stuff out I think the Zafira might be late enough to have it specified.If you look they typically put the relevant cut off dates on the cartons in typical small print seemingly just to confuse people.If I’ve got it right they got the idea that putting acid in an engine’s cooling system is a good thing because fish use similar bio technology to supposedly stop themselves freezing up in a cold pond.So that must mean its good for stopping engines freezing up in sub zero temperatures too. :open_mouth: Go figure.More at best unnecessary,at worse flawed,science to solve a non existent problem.But which can actually create havoc in an engine’s cooling system.With even aluminium not being immune from corrosion let alone things like immersed head studs and bolts. :unamused:

As for engine oil it’s mainly the grade that matters and like most modern Euro buzz bombs the Zafira uses the usual low viscosity 10/40 type that you can buy anywhere.

Would have thought being as its a Zafira, you also need to carry a fire extinguisher!

Gembo:
Would have thought being as its a Zafira, you also need to carry a fire extinguisher!

I think dozy had one that he wasn’ using

Old banger =Tesco oil in there supermarkets.or the local cheap asian supermarkets that sell all the cheap crap .i never buy poncy branded oils ,Especially from halfrauds …

i thought it was graded as 20/40 or 20/50 or whatever…my cars recommended oil is castrol cos its thicker, and a high mileage car too…but on saying that…my Merc doesnt use any oil from one annual service to the next, even though i check it just to be sure…just had my annual service which include a trip to bulgaria, + my usual mileage which isnt great…so all good to go again this year. :smiley:

i run my insignia on fully synthetic oil and waterless coolant n never have any problems

Gembo:

That fire extinguisher has been moaning for the last year that it’s been given a Dozy to carry around.

It posts on here from time to time, you should hear it give off

Carryfast:
Having made the mistake of putting OAT anti freeze in a 1980’s Jag and then having to flush the stuff out I think the Zafira might be late enough to have it specified.If you look they typically put the relevant cut off dates on the cartons in typical small print seemingly just to confuse people.If I’ve got it right they got the idea that putting acid in an engine’s cooling system is a good thing because fish use similar bio technology to supposedly stop themselves freezing up in a cold pond.So that must mean its good for stopping engines freezing up in sub zero temperatures too. :open_mouth: Go figure.More at best unnecessary,at worse flawed,science to solve a non existent problem.But which can actually create havoc in an engine’s cooling system.With even aluminium not being immune from corrosion let alone things like immersed head studs and bolts. :unamused:

As for engine oil it’s mainly the grade that matters and like most modern Euro buzz bombs the Zafira uses the usual low viscosity 10/40 type that you can buy anywhere.

Never heard of OAT until today so had to Google it.

coolantexperts.com/coolant_o … at_coolant

Environmentally friendly, long lasting and non corrosive. Developed by John Deere.

No idea why your Jag didn’t like it though.

Good on you for admitting to owning a Vauxhall.

Zafira diesel uses 5/30 fully, same as truck uses (see fitters in workshop :laughing: ) petrol zafira uses 15/40 semi, or 5/30 fully! Oat coolant can’t be used with glycol (blue stuff)

Had a right run around today trying to get the ‘correct’ antifreeze for my motor scooter that I bought in the week. These days, engines have a lot of variation on the types of metals used and particular antifreeze (and some oils) can contain additives/ minerals etc. that can damage one type of engine but work fine in another. My engine is mainly aluminium so needed silica free AF that’s mixed 50/50 with de-ionised water and designed for ali engines.

A tip on the OAT stuff that I learned today… don’t use it as a top up coolant if you don’t know what the current antifreeze type is or it’s not OAT. Apparently it doesn’t mix well and will mush up/ blob in the hoses causing air locks. For a total drain and flush then use is fine though.

James the cat:

Gembo:

That fire extinguisher has been moaning for the last year that it’s been given a Dozy to carry around.

It posts on here from time to time, you should hear it give off

yeah, Ive read enough of that crap to last me a lifetime. :laughing:

I got to put some Radwell in my little Daewoo to see if it will stop it leaking water.

That OAT stuff is best only used if the vehicle has it new, if not or the vehicle is older stick to a trusted brand of real old glycol.

As for engine oil, the latest gimmicky stuff we’re getting into 0w20 grade now, might as well have a ■■■■■ in the bloody oil filler cap its that thin.

Most normal cars are 5w30, personally i buy high quality 5w40 full synthetics in bulk at £stupidly cheap and stick it in all my cars (if you check the handbooks most of them include 5w40 in the recommended ranges), mind you i don’t have a DPF and don’t want one either thanks, haven’t had an engine wear or failure problem for about 40 years despite running old cars most of the time but then i’ve always overserviced…they can stick this 20,000mile two year oil change ■■■■■■■■ where the sun don’t shine…funny how these long life service regimes are mostly recommended for cars with only a 3 year warranty :bulb: :unamused:

Full Synthetic oil use to be thinner = good for new engines. Later on in life i use to switch to semi synthetic as its thicker and less likely to leak.

Mineral oil use to be thickest of them all. These days i use 10/40 semi (diesel) Offcos.

With water. newer cars use to get really hot. Normal water can reach boiling point. Not nice :slight_smile:

My local garage has recently stocked up with oil containers for their own use, not for resale. All 5w30 grade from the same manufacturer but graded differently according to vehicle maker. Ford, Vauxhall, the VW group and the Far Eastern makers each have their own barrel marked accordingly, apparently some vehicle makers were concerned that, even though oils had the same viscosity, folk were mixing up the grades and engine problems were occouring under warranty so this should prevent that.

Pete.