-snip-

-snip-

Hi mate I was a new driver like yourself and I am fine the recovery industry.

Driving a 14/16t truck on class 2 license doing recoveries.

I think it would be ideal for you… oh yh! Your except from tacho with 61 miles radius where your based! Perfect for someone new driving a truck taking time

You’re working towards a degree in mechanical engineering so you can become a lorry driver :open_mouth:

Without wishing to be offensive the phrase that springs to mind is “stupid is as stupid does” :unamused:

Do yourself a favour and use your degree to build a career in an industry where your qualification will be worth something.

-snip-

I’ll move the thread to the PDF for you, you might get more replies there :wink:

Usually driving and engineering sides of a job are separate,drivers drive that’s all,yes I know its more than that but you get the idea.
Think of your considering a career it’s one or the other really,engineering with a degree will pay more than getting up at ■■■■ a clock in the morning to put up with crap everyday.

Just my 2p worth but engineering will pay better for 4 years hard work than driving for a living.

If you’re dead set on haulage might be idea look into self propelled modular trailer,spmt,operator job,ALE,Sarens or Mammout,no cab or frilly curtains but variety of sites,off shore possibilities,but why not finish degree then you’ve options?

tachograph:
You’re working towards a degree in mechanical engineering so you can become a lorry driver :open_mouth:

Without wishing to be offensive the phrase that springs to mind is “stupid is as stupid does” :unamused:

Do yourself a favour and use your degree to build a career in an industry where your qualification will be worth something.

In my experience,fixing machinery is two-thirds of the hours, and half of the aggro than delivering it. and for the same money.

TruckerYaser:
Hi mate I was a new driver like yourself and I am fine the recovery industry.

Driving a 14/16t truck on class 2 license doing recoveries.

I think it would be ideal for you… oh yh! Your except from tacho with 61 miles radius where your based! Perfect for someone new driving a truck taking time

I hope you are not trusting your firm on the 61 mile rule . As soon as your out of that zone your whole day comes into play not just whats outside of that

tachograph:

+1

truckman020:

tachograph:

+1

+2

Daytrunker:
Usually driving and engineering sides of a job are separate,drivers drive that’s all,yes I know its more than that but you get the idea.
Think of your considering a career it’s one or the other really,engineering with a degree will pay more than getting up at ■■■■ a clock in the morning to put up with crap everyday.

Just my 2p worth but engineering will pay better for 4 years hard work than driving for a living.

I agree on ADR the person with the knowledge and qualifications is the DGSA not the driver, they just have the basics, judging from recent TV shows about moving abnormal loads I think the drivers rely on experience not qualifications. On the really big no doubt somebody has sat there with a slide rule and worked out stresses on the infrastructure but again I doubt it’s the driver. I was once offered a job on a road survey truck, swapping between driving and operating, but that’s the closest I’ve ever seen to an engineer driver job. Short of working for a truck or trailer manufacture in R&D maybe.

Personally I’d say use the engineering qualification, just need to find an area of engineering that inspires you. And then you could do what a young engineer asked me about a few weeks ago, and that is convert a truck to a motorhome/office and garage and travel to around while working.

Non-driving but I understand the Forces are desperate for engineers - particularly the Royal Navy. I think there might be a “golden hello” of £5k in there too?

CAElite:
Hey lads

Looking for some advice.

I have just finished my 2nd year of my 4 year mechanical engineering degree, being in my mid 20s I am a mature-ish student, previously I was a generator installation technician which mainly involved driving equipment around in a 12ton flatbed or 3.5ton trailer depending on the job, got my C (class2) licence in '14 and my b+e in '10 just after passing my car test.

Basically after completing my 2nd year of studies I have been wanting to get back into driving, particularly when I graduate as it really was what I enjoyed doing, I was looking into abnormal load and ADR work as to my knowledge that side of the industry requires a lot of engineering knowledge (and pays accordingly), but I have absolutely zero idea what kind of work is out there in that industry, and how to get into it.

Just wondering if anyone can offer some idea of how to get into that side of a driving career as an engineering graduate

Any advice welcome
Cheers
CAElite

You’ve realised that pretending to study, whilst ■■■■■■■ your student loan up the wall, isn’t working, and now your looking for an easy way out. May I suggest mcdonalds? Because you won’t last a week as a driver.

You want to be the guy designing bridges or the guy delivering the bridge sections, seriously its no brainer. Your thinking too short term.

And if you think you will walk into a jammy well paid heavy haul job because you have a degree forget it…you have bigger chance getting ■■■■ out a wooden horse.

eagerbeaver:

truckman020:

tachograph:

+1

+2

+3

-snip-

If you want STGO and hard graft then maybe crane ballast is the job for you

Yep, not a lot of practical skills or training in a Mech Eng Degree. It’s all maths maths and maths… [emoji26]

And when you do qualify you can sit in an office in front of a computer day after day working towards your chartered engineer status.

They didn’t explain all that at the induction did they? [emoji13]

Nope, they just wanted to get you enrolled and their hands on your fees… [emoji49]

If you are a practical type person pal, look at what other courses you can transfer to that may suit you better and have some practicality to them. But only choose driving as a last resort pal, as then you’ve basically just thrown 2 years down the pan…

Do your future a favour mate, and investigate other options first!!!

Best of luck pal.

tachograph:

Speaking as the holder of that very same qualification I would say that the strength of your statement is proportional to the classification of degree achieved :slight_smile:

in other words if he gets a first class degree I would be probably inclined to agree with you, if he gets a third, not so much.

With a third, he would do well to be in a job like the one below, four years after graduation. The key points I’ve highlighted in bold, the rest of it can be summed up as long hours (for engineers in manufacturing, 50 hour weeks not uncommon, the last 13 of those unpaid) and LOTS of stress (as in the levels of stress that occasionally lead to nervous breakdowns - WAAAY beyond what yer average lorry driver would consider stressful).

Plenty of graduate engineers stay in these kind of jobs for most of their careers, circa £30k salary, long hours, loads of stress, often long commutes (as there are far fewer factories around that employ professional engineers than there are businesses that employ truck drivers) and often not great job security.

So CAElite do what you enjoy. I enjoyed my time in manufacturing, but wouldn’t want all that stress and hassle now. Like you I like driving and fixing things.

Manufacturing Quality Engineer, Leeds,
Salary £25,000
Region Leeds,
Industry Engineering
Manufacturing Quality Engineer, Leeds, £25-32,000+

This global organization working within the energy sector are on the look out for a Manufacturing Quality Engineer to join their growing Quality team for their Manufacturing site in Leeds.

Reporting to the QHSE Manager, the successful candidate will be involved in auditing, monitoring and driving improvement to ensure the company retains its ISO9001 certification and constantly improves the level of quality. The position will lead the employee to act as an interface with all others support functions including Industrial, Maintenance, Logistics, Purchasing and also with the shop floor teams.

Some of the key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:-
– Prepare and maintain elements of the quality system documentation to ensure processes are kept in line with current practice and ISO9001 requirements.
– Support the production of Quality plans and inspection plans etc.
– Plan and lead internal audits to ensure procedures for systems and product build/inspection are adhered to and improved.
– Take lead role in third party and customer audits.
– Perform audits to ensure ISO9001 requirements are maintained and quality targets are achieved.
– Support customer partnerships and follow up actions from customer surveys.
– Facilitate corrective and preventative actions following product problems. Establish networks with contacts to understand the requirements and constraints of each party involved.
Essential skills:-
The successful candidate will need to have worked in an ISO9001 environment before and have a minimum of 3 years experience within Quality Engineering in a Manufacturing capacity.
Also important will be a good understanding and experience of working with lean manufacturing tools such as 8D, Six Sigma, Poka Yoke and FMEA.
Experience doing internal auditing will be beneficial but not essential.
Education:-
HNC/HND or Degree in Engineering/ Related discipline.
If this sounds like you or you would like to find out more/be considered for this position then contact Kate Wills at Vantage Consulting on 01785 330 666 or email kate.wills@vantageconsulting.co.uk