Earning part of trucks profit

As the title, possible job offer. Does this work and can the driver earn well, or do you have to pull out all the stops to earn a decent wage?

Some you win some you lose.
My first artic job we were paid 25% of what the lorry earned gross, scabby old tackle but we earned about 1/3rd more than other haulage outfits in the district.

Note how that was the gross earnings, what comes out before profit is declared.

It’s not an exact science, just go into it with your eyes open, remember on this pay scheme when the wheels aint turning you aint earning, so bank holidays in effect you may not get paid for, if they decide you aint the blue eyed boy and will be the one returning 200 miles empty of Friday hell that will be free, the drivers who are well in may get fed the better paying work anyway, there is a pecking order on lots of companies.
Do you still get night out pay, whats the holiday pay if any, self employed or on the books.
These and lots more questions you need answers before deciding.

Juddian:
My first artic job we were paid 25% of what the lorry earned gross, scabby old tackle but we earned about 1/3rd more than other haulage outfits in the district.

It’s not an exact science, just go into it with your eyes open, remember on this pay scheme when the wheels aint turning you aint earning, so bank holidays in effect you may not get paid for, if they decide you aint the blue eyed boy and will be the one returning 200 miles empty of Friday hell that will be free, the drivers who are well in may get fed the better paying work anyway, there is a pecking order on lots of companies.
Do you still get night out pay, whats the holiday pay if any, self employed or on the books.

Not to mention trusting the boss man…

the nodding donkey:

Juddian:

But does the boss man trust you not to spin it out when paid on the hour though ?

Punchy Dan:

the nodding donkey:

Juddian:

But does the boss man trust you not to spin it out when paid on the hour though ?

It’s easier to check the drivers hours, than what the boss man charges his customers…

the nodding donkey:

Punchy Dan:

the nodding donkey:

Juddian:

It’s easier to check the drivers hours, than what the boss man charges his customers…

Easy to check the hours align with the Tacho, but not always so east to see if the driver is spinning jobs out.

All pay systems have advantages and disadvantages.

Can’t think of one where there aren’t complaints, mainly from drivers who think their colleagues are getting a better deal out of it.

You need to know the method of payment, paid per tonne or per load, there needs to be trust between you and you’re boss as to what the truck actually earns.

I was once paid hauling coils and scrap metal in a bulker, other firms in the area were doing the same coils out of the same works and the drivers were paid less.

Also how much for a holiday, any more for weekends or bank holidays ? anything happens like a puncture or a breakdown and you won’t be paid, this method of payment traditionally paid more, you have to work for it and you tend to cut corners and race about.

Best thing really is to speak to some of the drivers that already work there. Find out what sort of money they’re getting and what sort of hours they’re doing. Place I’m at now pays a pretty low basic with a profit related bonus on top. At the interview I was thinking “not sure about this” I mean how do I know how much a lorry makes in a week. So I asked one of the drivers what they where averaging and decided to give it a shot. I’m not earning mega bucks but for the hours I do I don’t do bad.

To earn the top money you need blue eyes.

And even then you’ll need an element of luck.traffic,plant breakdowns,bad planning,queuing at weighbridges etc all have the potential to turn a very good week into an average week.

And you need blue eyes

Back in the day I got the Union Rate, plus a portion of what the truck earned. Can’t remember the percentage, but done very well out of it. Just make sure the default wage is enough to get by on when the job goes quiet.

My last job was on earnings, five years on a six wheeler tipper carting stone and tarmac. I got 27% of what it earned and it was OK, I didn’t get paid for bank holidays at first (the truck wasn’t earning) but I negotiated that after a few months and got a day etc at basic which was £40. Saturdays were at standard rate of course as the company got no extra for saturday working but sunday and night rate was good at that time, though the rate has dropped now I believe. I always had rate sheets for all our regular quarries as I usually found my own work, if I didn’t know the rate I found out before I took the load on as you can get caught out! Looking back at my old notebooks the truck usually made around £1100-£1250 a week back in 2002 and I drew around £270 to £350 on average depending on work.

Pete.

Many moons ago I was supposed to be paid 25% of the trucks earnings and thought I was doing OK until I went into the office and ran the trucks for a while. Found out that I had been ripped off summit rotten, either that or I was making a better job of fixing the trucks than the boss had !! :laughing: A few of the dinosaurs on here may remember him as he later ran the Routemaster at Felixstowe …

If they don’t disclose your truck’ s earnings it’s all ■■■■■■■■ and just a way of getting you to fall for going like ■■■■ to increase your ‘bonus’.
I have 2 mates on one firm, one lad does the job like an owner driver, stupid o clock starts, max driving every week, all minimum rests taken when appropriate, and maxing out nearly every week, not knocking him for it, it’s just the way he works.
The other lad gets the job done but goes at a sensible pace, sensible start times not before 6 am, and very (very) rarely meets his 90 per fortnight.
They got their yearly earnings statement, it was basically the same all but 20 quid or so in the year.
So basically the ‘percentage of earnings bonus’ is pure ■■■■■■■■.

the nodding donkey:

Punchy Dan:

the nodding donkey:

Juddian:

The Mule makes a valid point :neutral_face:

I packed in as a owner driver in the late 90’s and ended up working for a firm who paid 20% of the vehicle earnings, talk about jumping out of the frying pan into the fire! I would sometimes tip and park up the night before then told its quite so to run back empty in the morning & end up not earning a penny for the day.

I stuck the job for 3 months then got a hourly paid one & vowed to never to do a % job again.

I wouldnt work for those conditions even if you paid me… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: there has to be a degree of trust both ways…but i believe its all gonna be in the bosses favour…like mentioned…no pay if the wheels dont turn, so holiday pay, bank holidays are not paid.I would stay well away.

My holidays are paid on average earnings.
Don’t know about bank holidays,coz I don’t work them.
60 quid for running in on a Saturday… .which I have done twice in the last 3 months(both times parked at home)
Bit of a myth about percentage lads chasing about like idiots…if you ask me.
You’ll only make the best money,if you’re on the best work…no matter how hard you push.

You have to be sure you can trust the company. I went self employed in November 2006 and quit in April 2007. My first month was awesome but as with most of these situations that was a scam to get me hooked, I was also on 25% or at least that was the deal. After 5 weeks the money dropped by a huge amount and each load which the broker promised great pay turned out to be a pittance. I left and make more money here on this company for half the work.

The main objective of these companies is to get you in debt to them so you have to take every load you can get to make ends meet.

Thanks for all the replies. On reflection I’ve turned the Job down. Not for me.
Cheers

I posted about this subject couple o months ago about me looking at a new job in canada , and iirc was 24% and everything was included in the % ,bankholidays ,waiting time,(nights out paid back at tax time so not inc) washing the truck/trailer out between loads grain,coming in and clean the outfit at weekends BUT the" funny" part was when I asked about how would i know what the truck was earning …I was told (the tone of the interview changed then hehe) he would tell me …then I was told I would not be a fit for the company lol…must have asked too many questions.