Garmin or Tomtom truck sat nav with traffic

i don’t know to get the tomtom truck 6000 for 289 quid plus 50 a year for live traffic updates of 400 odd quid for lifetime edition
Or the Garmin Dezl 570 LMT-D 5 inch Truck/Lorry Satellite Navigation System - , which is 300 quid including lifetime traffic
Obviously the Garmin sounds best pricewise , but is it as good as the tom tom truck 6000

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 … 0c-21&th=1

yes i know you can get 7 inches but 5 is enough for me

trucknavs.co.uk are cheaper…

Should get you going before really splashing out on a branded one…

villa:
i don’t know to get the tomtom truck 6000 for 289 quid plus 50 a year for live traffic updates of 400 odd quid for lifetime edition
Or the Garmin Dezl 570 LMT-D 5 inch Truck/Lorry Satellite Navigation System - , which is 300 quid including lifetime traffic
Obviously the Garmin sounds best pricewise , but is it as good as the tom tom truck 6000

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 … 0c-21&th=1

yes i know you can get 7 inches but 5 is enough for me

You might want to delete that last bit.In case dipper dave see’s it…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tom Tom have just brought a new model out.
Go Professional all signing and dancing with wi-fi.
Couple hundred £ for the not so professional blame the prat-nav type.

Have a Garmin Dezl and is fine with it’s traffic updates and has saved me a couple of times but as with all of these it is only as accurate as the information being given out by the authorities, for example it did not show the M3 closure last weekend and if using it in Europe it is dubious on some of it’s weight limits generally putting limits where there are none ok if you know the area but not so clever when you don’t

From what I researched when looking at them, Garmin appears to use the RDS information which includes those green / blue cameras, highways england data and similar. All free, but relies on those systems being around to spot a problem.

Tomtom doesn’t specify where the info comes from, but I have strong suspicions it’s from Google as the road closures and traffic jams seem to appear around the same time on Google maps and my tomtom. It also probably uses information broadcast by other suitably equipped tomtom’s.

Overall, from what I’ve seen in action, the Tomtom is usually more accurate and faster to pickup general traffic including updating when it disappears too.

trevHCS:
Tomtom doesn’t specify where the info comes from, but I have strong suspicions it’s from Google as the road closures and traffic jams seem to appear around the same time on Google maps and my tomtom.

As far as I know Tomtom has a large enough user base to be able to crowdsource its data using real-time uploads from Tomtom devices. You have to agree to share this upload data as part of the conditions for using live traffic. I think Google is differently similar, so it isn’t surprising that both companies seem to be able to update traffic conditions at about the same time.

I have found Tomtom to be slightly more intelligent with planned road closures than Google.

Jack-knife:
Tom Tom have just brought a new model out.
Go Professional all signing and dancing with wi-fi.
Couple hundred £ for the not so professional blame the prat-nav type.

Tomtom official prices are higher…

£300 for the six inch (620), £260 for the five inch (520). Both have lifetime maps, traffic and speed cams, but both rely on your mobile phone data connection.

For £350 you can get a six inch with built-in SIM (6200), BUT it comes with only one year of traffic and speed cams. Annual renewal will be around £50 I expect, maybe more for speed cams too.

You’ll need to shell out £390 for six inch with built-in SIM AND free lifetime maps, traffic and speed cams (6250).

Selling an existing unit may offset some of the cost of the upgrade, and if you were going to renew live traffic then that’s £50 you can save by upgrading at renewal time too.

I was just quoting the offer in this weeks truckstop news.
Tom Tom 6250 £329 launch price or pay monthly £19.74p intrest free.
Personaly I spend £329 on a holiday and pay £1.99 for an A-Z that last a lifetime.
Keep my eyes peeled for speed cameras and Listen to the radio for traffic.
It’s worked so far.

I don’t know how many times I have to post these things ?
Sat navs are a total waste of your money, if you have a smart phone just use the map app to find the location and use the navigation to take you there. Spending hard earned money on those things is just insane. If I ever go somewhere new that I ma not sure of I use the map, I get near to the site and tap on navigation, it is just the same as a sat nav but free FFS. Most phone companies will also have a section for trucks also.

Jack-knife:
Tom Tom 6250 £329 launch price .

Hello , this sounds a good deal £329 including lifetime traffic updates , plus wi fi ,this is the one for me , its the latest truck tom tom , only 40 quid dearer than the 6000 at £289 plus 50 quid a year for traffic
Can you tell me where i can get this at this launch price please ,6 inches too , I am excited

www.kudauk.ltd.uk
Don’t forget to do a review

Say 329 plus vat. Becomes near 395 including that

Pat Hasler:
Sat navs are a total waste of your money, if you have a smart phone just use the map app to find the location and use the navigation to take you there. Spending hard earned money on those things is just insane. If I ever go somewhere new that I ma not sure of I use the map, I get near to the site and tap on navigation, it is just the same as a sat nav but free FFS. Most phone companies will also have a section for trucks also.

Didn’t take long for the first hero to turn up :unamused:

Put a sock it in mate no-one cares that you navigate by the stars and using a compass.

Jack-knife:
Tom Tom 6250 £329 launch price or pay monthly £19.74p
r.

Bloody hell , 65 quid vat ,400 quid is out my price bracket

I’ve had my Garmin (dezl something or other) for a few years and can’t fault it. However, recently the power cable started to fray and become unreliable. A replacement with the aerial fitting (needed for live updates) was about £80. A bog standard one was about £10. Needless to say I no longer have live updates!!

Tomtom traffic is very good. The route planning is somewhat dubious especially if you need access into a road that’s a weight limit as I have to quite a lot delivering to building ■■■■■■■ My old snooper s2000 was better. I wish I’d bought a snooper instead of the tomtom now. No idea about the garmin I’m afraid.

nomiS36:
Tomtom traffic is very good. The route planning is somewhat dubious especially if you need access into a road that’s a weight limit as I have to quite a lot delivering to building [zb]. My old snooper s2000 was better. I wish I’d bought a snooper instead of the tomtom now. No idea about the garmin I’m afraid.

yeah but is it worth £50 a year on top of the sat nav price , when you can get it all for free with the rds lead

Pat Hasler:

I think I can help with that…the answer is none.

Not everyone shares your opinions Pat, and other views are available. The driving conditions here in the UK are quite different to the US and Canada, so different solutions may be in order. The OP question was a comparison between satnavs, not another debate about the merits of satnav.

You’ll be aware that interacting with a phone while driving in the UK is a specific offence, so your solution is potentially dangerous. Also, satnav assisted driving is now included in the UK driving test so clearly the authorities here don’t share your opinions either.

Like it or not, technology can play a helpful part in making driving safer and less stressful. Congestion in the UK is so bad that active traffic management, alternative route planning and accurate ETAs with anticipated traffic delays factored in are all valuable tools to assist a UK trucker’s day.

You don’t have to use one if you don’t want to, but perhaps you can let others make up their own minds.

ORC:

Pat Hasler:

I think I can help with that…the answer is none.

Not everyone shares your opinions Pat, and other views are available. The driving conditions here in the UK are quite different to the US and Canada, so different solutions may be in order. The OP question was a comparison between satnavs, not another debate about the merits of satnav.

You’ll be aware that interacting with a phone while driving in the UK is a specific offence, so your solution is potentially dangerous. Also, satnav assisted driving is now included in the UK driving test so clearly the authorities here don’t share your opinions either.

Like it or not, technology can play a helpful part in making driving safer and less stressful. Congestion in the UK is so bad that active traffic management, alternative route planning and accurate ETAs with anticipated traffic delays factored in are all valuable tools to assist a UK trucker’s day.

You don’t have to use one if you don’t want to, but perhaps you can let others make up their own minds.

Well said