Roman Arch

Oldest working Roman arch damaged

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 … got-stuck/

I note the “Sat Nav” has been blamed once again, but would it have made any difference if the driver had been using an A to Z or even following directions given by one of the many village idiots?

I note the word ‘lorry’ has been used to describe a van

He might have been dumb enough to try it, but he did get it lined up nicely.

Probably be sentenced to a choice of life rowing a galley or face the lions in the arena for that. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Can’t be Roman they were all 4 metres - As at Bab Al Hawa - TIR wagons going through all the time no probs

Is it time there was an automatic fixed penalty for any driver who blames their sat-nav for an accident ?

What’s a working arch? One that hasn’t fallen down?

I read these stories and wind up more annoyed at the press and the people who lap this stuff up like catnip, than the actual terrifying topics.

Always question what’s behind what you are reading. Pick a topic the press has feverishly latch onto, and they’ll have you believing it’s an epedemic. Bridge strikes have always happened, and yes, they’re dimwits for relying on a cheap gps gadget, but lets get real, it’s not the last days of Sodom and Gomorrah. It is locally expensive when a wagon strikes something, for sure. Despite the doomsday scenarios, name the last train that crashed because it actually fell off a bridge that collapsed due to a wagon hitting it.

I’m not saying it’s right, I’m saying it’s not the kind of crap we used to worry about. We let the law get on with the piffle, and instead worried about the Russians bombing us into the next dimension or the lights going out that night.

These days people winge over topics only the Olympic level bored could do.

When I worked in and out of the third world (decidedly un pc, but I’m not particularly pc) I always knew I was back in the western 21st century when instead of faeces lining the streets and people throwing acid in the eyes of each other down the market, people enraged themselves that a 10ton lorry was going through a noise enduced weight limits so much they’d turn up late to bridge club that night, and spend the afternoon cocooned in hi viz jackets and don clip boards like some enravaged doomsday survivor that was saving the last oxygen molecule on the planet. Modern Western world problems.

1964:

i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss30 … 01/van.jpg

cav551:
1964:

Is that’s Lincoln? Those romans did a good job fixing that :laughing:

Seeing as today seems to be about bridges & arches, here’s another one from this morning

Has there someone on here not long started with said company maybe it was them.

Freight Dog:
name the last train that crashed because it actually fell off a bridge that collapsed due to a wagon hitting it.

Since we are now on the subject of railway bridge strikes: The concern is not that a train might fall off the bridge, it is that the track may be misaligned as a result of the impact resulting in a derailment. There are instances of trains being derailed because of damaged track, Hatfield and Hither Green being the most well known which resulted in fatalities… 51. Neither incident related to a bridge strike, but when a train is derailed at speed the consequences are usually severe, this is why it is taken seriously. While the accident was not caused by the bridge, this December will see the 60th anniversary of the Lewisham train crash in which 100 people died when debris from a train crash caused a bridge to collapse on top of the train underneath it.

Bit like the Arch in Kings Lynn,never liked the look of it,hazards on wrong side of the road and round it,work said your fine 45ft will fit thro,gave them the keys “off you go then your turn” funnily enough nothing said after lol.

cav551:
1964:

Now that s proper old skool :smiley:

that box on the floor is nearly too high on its own without the truck under it,

Les Shoes:
I note the word ‘lorry’ has been used to describe a van

can’t wait 'til he gets a Class 1…then he can have a proper go at that arch :laughing:

& that is why you don’t use sat navs…

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SouthEastCashew:
& that is why IDIOTS SHOULD NOT TOTALLY RELY ON sat navs…

^^^^^FTFY :bulb:

whisperingsmith:
Can’t be Roman they were all 4 metres - As at Bab Al Hawa - TIR wagons going through all the time no probs

True!