My trip to South Uist (Outer Hebrides)

Well that was a pleasnt trip with absolutely stunning scenery. I set off on Sunday morning at 06:00 and got up to Newtonmore Grill just off the A9 for about 16:00 and that was me for the night after having a nice Thai green chicken curry and a couple of pints in there(lovely grub by the way)
I started the following morning and run across the A86 to Spean Bridge then up the A82 to Invergarry then onto the A87 towards the Isle Of Skye. I pulled up at Loch Loyne to take some pics of the stunning view on a bit of land that looks as though it has been turned into some sort of unofficial remembrance spot where people have left stones piled on top of each other and flowers and crosses with people’s names on.
I then set off and had my break by the side of Loch Cluanie another stunning spot where i went down onto a little tiny bit of sand and took some panoramic pictures of the view in front of me. It was then on my way towards the Kyle Of Lochalsh and the run from Shiel Bridge past Eilean Donan Castle towards Kyle Of Lochalsh I can only describe as one of the most picturesque I’ve ever driven in the UK.
It was then over the bridge which joins the Isle Of Skye to the mainland and admiring the views to my right of the Cullin Hills in the distance. I then drove down the Sleat peninsula towards Armadale where I boarded my first ferry a 30min crossing over to Mallaig. I got to Mallaig and had a bit of a wait for the ferry over to Loch Boisdale so I parked the truck in Fergusons yard at the side of the harbour and just stretched my legs, it’s a lovely little place Mallaig.
Onto the ferry at 17:30 and a 3 hour 30 minutes crossing over to Loch Boisdale in South Uist. We docked at South Uist at 21:00 and had a stunning sunset to admire going down over the Outer Hebrides as we was on our final stretch of the journey into the small harbour. I came off the ferry and parked up in the small harbour for the night.

There is some fantastic scenery up there, I never get fed up of seeing it. Find the islands less attractive.

Oddly, we had an emergency job come up on Friday to collect out of Benbecula Monday morning, so I had two of mine (in a van), going Uig - Lochmaddy on Sunday.

I started at 07:30 to drive the 3 mile to the Co-Op store at Daliburgh where I was delivering the shop fittings was there about 2 and half hours then was told I wasn’t needed now until the morning. Result! :smiley: So I headed back to the harbour which was where I was parking up whilst on the island due to the fact it had a toilet and shower block plus a hotel and bar :smiley: I dropped the trailer and decided to venture down to Eriskay which is a little island below South Uist connected by a small causeway.
I couldn’t belove I was on the western isles off Scotland as the beaches of sharp white sand and crystal clear blue seas wouldn’t look out of place in the Bahamas. South Uist has stunning beaches down the West and craggy hills and mountains to the East. One thing that struck me was how many people waved at me not just in cars but walking and it made me realise how much the people on islands such as these rely on trucks and even more so the Ferrys to bring them their essentials over and much more. If the ferry can’t sail due to the conditions for a few days then they are knackered.
It may sound daft but it did fill me with some pride on the job we do. I went back to the harbour at Loch Boisdale to get some shut eye then headed back down to Eriskay about 20:30 to take some pics and vids of the sunset over the Isle Of Barra which was stunning. I started the next day at 08:30 to go and pick up the returns which took about another 2 hour 30mins then it was back to the harbour card out and a meal and couple of pints back at the hotel bar then back to the truck and watch some TV and get my head down ready for the 07:00 ferry crossing back to Mallaig.
I decided to come back down past Fort William past Ben Nevis and Glen Coe which was breathtaking and down by Loch Lomond and over the Erskine bridge and back to boring roads and views :smiley: The people of Scotland are so blessed to have that sort of scenery and I’d recommend anyone to spend a few days doing a road trip up there and see that the UK has sights that can match anything the rest of the world has to offer.
Work was great as they have paid me 10hours each day I was up there and they let me use the Unit to go sight seeing. Sorry I don’t know how to put pics up otherwise I would.

Enjoyed those posts, thankyou, reminders of long ago long distance diaries.
Highland and genuine country people are the salt of the earth.

If you put the photos onto your PC, desktop is ideal ut you can put them in a file for photos if there’s lots once you get the hang of it, then click on the Upload Attachment icon at the bottom of the page when your replying.
Click on Browse.
When your PC screen comes up click on desktop from the left hand list, and anything on your desktop should appear, simply click on the photo, that will put the photo file number on the box, click Open, then add the file, after a few seconds the photo number will appear just above two icons, (place inline or delete file), click your cursor on the page where you want to photo to appear and click Place Inline.
Here’s one of George our Cocker Spaniel (hmm with a bit of Springer from somewhere in his mums background) that i’ve been clicking on as worked through.

Hope those instructions are clear enough, i’m a right dullard with PC’s so if i can do it anyone can.

Would enjoy seeing your pics.

Might be soemthing to do with the platform ( or whatever they call it); I can post pics on the other two forums I am on, but not this one.

Brilliant posts, thanks for them. A pleasant change from some of the stuff that’s on this site.
I’m delighted that you enjoyed your trip, and that you got such stunning weather as we had in the West over the last few weeks. Sadly, it’s not always like that!
I’m a born and bred islander, from one of the other islands, but I truck about the nation quite a bit. I can’t say I’ve been much of a world traveller but I’ve been to SE Asia, Europe and Scandinavia among other places, and while they all have nice parts to them, I don’t think I’m too biased if I say that none of them can hold a candle to my own home turf. Thank goodness we don’t get good weather all the time or we’d be buried in tourists even more than we are. Some of them even come from Barnsley!!!

I’ve trundled around this area for the past 6 or 7 years and wouldn’t dream of going elsewhere now. My claim to fame was knocking the navigational mark on the end of Nth Uist pier arse over ■■■ … with a ships bow … :blush:

c’mon steve. you cannot post that then not show us any pics, were all gaggin for them. if theres no pics it didny happen :smiley: :smiley: .

Brilliant posting…

There used to be some really good diaries on here…would be good to get them going again.

Runs like this make you like the job again and i always find once you start heading north people respect you more.Is the newtonmore grill still £10 parking but that is also a £6 meal voucher.

Its a joy to hear someone has been to experience the islands there some of the best views in the whole uk.

Wow I’m chuffed that I’ve pleased a few people with the post. I’d have thought some would’ve come on to say they were ■■■■■■ off by it dragging on. When I get home at the wkend I’ll see if I can fathom out how to put the pics up ( thanks Juddian for the instructions :smiley: )
To Colin Scotish in reference to paying for parking at Newtonmore Grill it’s free as far as I know mate. I didn’t pay and they never questioned me in the cafe.
We’ve got another job coming up on the Isle Of Sky for a Co-Op so I’m itching to do that one as well :wink:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Sorry I don’t know how to put pics up otherwise I would.

Hi Steve,

Juddian has given you some excellent advice above, but I can help you with a few pics of places that you’ve mentioned for now…

Eilean Donan Castle, Loch Duich (on the A87.)

Dscn0255.jpg

Skye Bridge (also on the A87)

Dscn0232.jpg

Kyle of Lochalsh (taken from Kyleakin, almost directly opposite Kyle of Lochalsh

Dscn0233.jpg

Think I may have a couple of pics of the west coast of Scotland kicking about on this PC somewhere … :slight_smile:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Wow I’m chuffed that I’ve pleased a few people with the post. I’d have thought some would’ve come on to say they were ■■■■■■ off by it dragging on. When I get home at the wkend I’ll see if I can fathom out how to put the pics up ( thanks Juddian for the instructions :smiley: )
To Colin Scotish in reference to paying for parking at Newtonmore Grill it’s free as far as I know mate. I didn’t pay and they never questioned me in the cafe.
We’ve got another job coming up on the Isle Of Sky for a Co-Op so I’m itching to do that one as well :wink:

Normally have to pay unless its changed but the food in there is spot on.Its a very good relaxed feeling when sitting in there looking out to the hills.

Wanting to move up there in the next year or two, worried about work though. Currently based in Bristol with an abundance of work.
Whats about up there?

Nice post Steve. In time gone by, not so long since people like Coffee, Luke, Pat and a couple of others used to post diaries of their trips and I always enjoyed reading them.
In contrast tomorrow I’m going from Sheffield to Bradford, I’ll leave the camera at home.

knight2:
Nice post Steve. In time gone by, not so long since people like Coffee, Luke, Pat and a couple of others used to post diaries of their trips and I always enjoyed reading them.
In contrast tomorrow I’m going from Sheffield to Bradford, I’ll leave the camera at home.

As you rightly say, lots of folk in the past would post diaries. Mike C in particular would post extremely funny diaries of his weeks work. Of course this was all spoiled by the wanna be cops who complained about people taking photos whilst driving. Iirc in Mikes case someone even took the time to complain to his company about his outrageous behaviour.

indeed:
Wanting to move up there in the next year or two, worried about work though. Currently based in Bristol with an abundance of work.
Whats about up there?

There is certainly 2 or 3 decent sized firms and a few smaller operators around up there, on a mixture of flat, timber, general curtainsider and a little bit of fridge or tipper work. Certainly nothing compared to Bristol, but if an experienced driver I don’t see too many issues.

Really depends on what type of work your looking for as even though say Ferguson Transport has a base up the west coast, their drivers will probably spend most of there week making deliveries into England and then back loading from England to central Scotland then loading from Grangemouth back up to the west coast. Obviously be better getting in touch with a few of the companies to see the current situation before making any concrete plans.

raymundo:
I’ve trundled around this area for the past 6 or 7 years and wouldn’t dream of going elsewhere now. My claim to fame was knocking the navigational mark on the end of Nth Uist pier arse over ■■■ … with a ships bow … :blush:

agency sailor? Aye aye captain! :grimacing:

Glad that you enjoyed our wonderful country,the Skye bridge used to be a toll bridge but there were protests about that so now it is free.Haste ye back.