Adr event work

Andrejs:
I taked trining here at J coates .Just confused.At ferry any amount of Adr load under rulles.When I go to Ferry that sometime Adr load help cross more auicly ,sometime more slower.Faster because at Calais if busy that truck with Adr load go much faster.But sometime they give ticket for more later because for each ferry go no so much truck with Adr load.Today I had 20 kg Adr load.

Hi Andrejs,

Thanks for the extra info. :smiley:

Now I know that you did your ADR course here in the UK, I know that you were taught a bit more about IMDG than if you’d done the same course in almost any other country.

The ADR syllabus in the UK requires that we explain IMDG a bit more thoroughly than in most other countries because the UK is an island. We need IMDG because the Channel Tunnel is very restrictive about which dangerous goods they will allow to go through their tunnel. That leaves us very reliant on ferries.

ADR is a set of Regs that tell us how to carry dangerous goods by ROAD.

When it come to ferries, the Regs are called IMDG.
IMDG is similar to ADR in many ways, but there are also some very big differences.

When it comes to a truck driver loading a vehicle, we see each IBC, drum, box, bag or jerrican as a piece of freight, then we treat it accordingly in terms of securing, stowing and segregation.

When it come to loading a ferry, the loading officer treats each vehicle as a piece of freight under IMDG.

Depending what other dangerous goods are to go on the ferry for that crossing, it might be that you get on the ferry straight away.
It can also be that you wait many hours for your crossing. Under IMDG, some vehicles must go outside on a weather deck, whilst others may be carried in an enclosed hold (= normal internal car deck) on the ferry.

As well as the point I’ve just made, some dangerous goods cannot be carried on certain types of ferry, depending on the size of the ferry and the number of passengers to be carried. There are also rules in IMDG about segregation on ferries, so sometimes certain vehicles cannot be put next to certain other vehicles. All of this is for the ferry company to worry about, but it does explain why you sometimes have to wait a long time before you’re allowed onto a ferry.

For a vehicle driver, there are only three things that you must do in order to comply with IMDG:

• Present an acceptable DGN (Dangerous Goods Note) to the ferry operator
  • Display the correct number of placards in the appropriate places on your vehicle
  • Comply with the instructions given by the loading officer regarding where you park on the ferry

After that, your vehicle is a piece of freight, and you are a passenger.

BTW, IMDG does not recognise our ADR orange plates, so they have no meaning on a ferry.
In practice, we just leave our orange plates showing if we need them for the road journey.