You wanted to ask operators questions...Now you can!

A few months ago I had a T&D thread up on here about the alleged driver shortage and what drivers think has caused it.

You were all really great and a fabulous feature on the subject has been written - in fact it’s in this month’s issue :wink: - but along the way several of you requested the chance to ask operators questions about the drivers’ view on the whole thing, and I arranged that T&D would run a second feature to do exactly that, provided we could find operators who were gutsy enough to take part…

Well…It’s now happening - the RHA have agreed to find me a range of different sized hauliers to take the plunge! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

The way I’m going to do things is like this:

Obviously I’ve got a limited amount of space and we want to make room for as many operators as possible to join in. I also need to be fair to both sides and select questions which will give us answers worth reading. I’m therefore going to ask you all to either post here, pm me or email me - lucy@truck.net - with your suggestions, then in a couple of weeks time (around May 12th) I’ll pick the five most popular and relevant ideas and use them to form a questionnaire. Please remember the following few things:

1. The popularity of each question WILL be a factor, so if you like one you see then reply with it in a quote and say so.
  2. These guys have businesses to run and therefore have limited time. To that end, questions with multiple parts that are really 5 questions will NOT be chosen.
  3. The topic is the driver shortage (or lack of one). Questions MUST BE ON TOPIC.
    and perhaps most importantly…
    4. QUESTIONS MUST BE FRAMED IN SUCH A WAY THEY ARE ASKED WITH THE KIND OF RESPECT YOU WOULD EXPECT OTHERS TO USE WHEN QUIZZING YOU!!!

If you want to ask ME questions about this then feel free…Otherwise it’s over to you lot…thankyou! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Or the rules in short are:

PLAY NICE CHILDREN, AND LEAVE THE INSULTS IN THE PRAM! :grimacing:

It’s not constructive…

Why do some operators find it hard to fill vacancies when there are so many looking for full time permanent jobs :question:

Is that the sort of question you are looking for ?

Here’s one Lucy.

"As operator’s, why do most of you fail to ensure cabs are left in a clean and hygienic manner? "

I was made redundant last September and since then have been working via agency.

I’ve been on assignment to 1 (ONE) client exclusively since then virtually non stop. The first line managers give the impression that they need more permanent drivers, I’ve put my cv in for consideration and yet no recruitment of new drivers has been done.

Are companies unwilling to employ directly prefering to run with temporary staff and if so when does long term temporary become less effective than directly employed?

We hear Operators saying there is a ‘Driver shortage’, yet it’s hard to deny that truck driving pay isn’t that far off NMW! :neutral_face:
It’s only the silly hours that bump the wages up, making it look attractive in the broker adverts. :smiling_imp:
It seems that Operators don’t understand the sacrifice/choice between work and life? :unamused:

Then we have the 3k to qualify for a job with a limited lifespan due to self driving technology.
“Yeah mate, they are queuing up all around the block!” :laughing:

We are all you have Operators with this setup/employment structure moving more and more towards agency… :open_mouth:

If you want to change that, then Operators are going to have to sweeten the pot to attract new recruits.
How about shorter hours, real employment contracts and human respect/consideration? :wink:

This isn’t going well…

:smiley:

the nodding donkey:
This isn’t going well…

Nah, it’ll be fine.
One of our parents will be along soon, and I’m casting my vote with whatever CoCo compiles… :smiley:
Although I do have one personal demand of banning all frilly curtains! :laughing:

I’m just hoping the responses we get back to sensible arguments, aren’t just waffle bollox! :imp:
Yes we know rates are governed by economic/capitalist rules, so WTF do Operators want us to do about it? :laughing:
It’s not necessarily the Operators giving us answers, more them ACTUALLY listening to what WE are telling them… :wink:
However if we can spare the rose feed, that would be nice! :grimacing:

But the cynic in me thinks the Operators will go away and make the decision into ‘investing’ in training mongs! :open_mouth:
Once the penny drops the fallout rate will be high, as will the bridge strikes! :smiley:
Overall though the objective is being addressed with an injection of fresh meat…
Keeping a plentiful driver pool, chasing the bait with poor rates. :unamused:

the nodding donkey:
This isn’t going well…

On the contrary, this is the whole point of the exercise - to really get to the nub of the matter! :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Why do some operators refuse to pay parking expenses? Do they think it’s acceptable in this day and age for drivers to work all day then park in a scabby stinking lay by trying to get a nights sleep?

Lucy:
On the contrary, this is the whole point of the exercise - to really get to the nub of the matter! :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Well if they look at this currently running thread, then hopefully! :smiley:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146687

The so called Driver Shortage should’ve been named “Decent Job Shortage”,there is no shortage of decent drivers who when offered a pair pay rate for a fair weeks work will and can work.
BUT some operators won’t pay a decent wage,offer decent jobs good kit and treat drivers with the respect they deserve (who without they wouldn’t have a business).
Then bleat on " we have 10 jobs and no one can be bothered to apply" well mr penny pinching boss open your moth ridden wallet invest in decent kit pay a driver what the job should pay instead of just above minimum wage and you get the job done,driver earns a proper wage both win no driver shortage Simples.

Daytrunker:
pay a driver what the job should pay instead of just above minimum wage and you get the job done,driver earns a proper wage both win no driver shortage Simples.

But that logic flies in the face of the logistics Operators modus operandi, which appears to be a 2 stage process. :smiley:
Step 1; Undercut previous supplier.
Step 2; Cut every cost to the bone, starting with the easiest… :cry:

The Operators instigated this race to the bottom, and only have themselves to blame! :imp:

Mines quite a simple question -

Why do they personally feel they can’t get drivers?

They cannot use the excuse of a lack of license holders as that’s continually proven not to be the case, so do they accept it’s a failing in the terms and conditions offered.

Do they agree with some operators view that the government should step in to subsidise initial training?

If so, why should a private enterprise be subsidised for failing to manage one of its main profit making components? Surely that’s just keeping a failing business afloat by masking the causes of the failure.

What experience, personally, have they got of the role as a driver, and do they feel the hours expected are reasonable and the pay adequate in an age where in real terms the pay has decreased for the role across the industry?

As a member of the RHA, (I’m guessing), what actions/pressure/discussions have they personally been involved in regarding the improvements required for the lack of parking and drivers facilities nationwide?

If none, why not? Surely this affects a core aspect of their business and effects the attractiveness of the role?

Any chance of naming these participating companies Lucy?
If mine is included I would love to hear their official line answers on a public forum, to some of the questions I would like to ask.
One would be …Why do they treat their good drivers in the same cynical way that they treat their ■■■■■■ contingent, (mostly from a main depot perspective rather than my local depot personally speaking)
If good drivers were valued (and paid) more than the worse ones, maybe more would be attracted to the co.
I think this question could apply to many large nationwide co.s tbh.
The Dutch have a system whereby you have to prove yourself to get on the second tier pay rate after 6 months or so, if you don’t you stay on the low rate.
That way the better drivers are better paid, and quite rightly so imo.

robroy:
If mine is included I would love to hear their official line answers on a public forum, to some of the questions I would like to ask.
One would be …Why do they treat their good drivers in the same cynical way that they treat their ■■■■■■ contingent, (mostly from a main depot perspective rather than my local depot personally speaking)
If good drivers were valued (and paid) more than the worse ones, maybe more would be attracted to the co.
The Dutch have a system whereby you have to prove yourself to get on the second tier pay rate after 6 months or so, if you don’t you stay on the low rate.

Ahh, but does the person who decides who the good and bad driver are, have 2 legs or 4? :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

robroy:

Ahh, but does the person who decides who the good and bad driver are, have 2 legs or 4? :smiley:

What■■? :open_mouth: