Holiday entitlement

Just trying to work this out. I’m entitled to 28 days holiday leave as my contact states but my company allocates it by holiday hours. Just been told I’ve got 49 hours left but if I’ve done my maths correctly that only works out at about 26-27 days for the year. Anyone help me understand this. We do work 5 over 7 some weeks and 4 over 7 others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi pick and mix. At iceland the 28 days equates to 252 hours holidays. (28 x9).This is reduced on a pro- rata basis depending on if you started part way through the holiday year. The complication arises on a 4 day week when your 45 hours is split only 4 times instead of 5. This means if you use holiday on a 4 day week you will use 11.25 hours per day not 9. You need to know how many days/hours you had at the start of your holiday year. Then check the holidays you have already used and see which were 9 or 11.25 hour shifts. Do the maths and if you don’t agree with the 49 hours left put a query in.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

If you only used your holidays on 4 day weeks. You would actually only get 22 days and 4.5 hours holiday. ( 22×11.25=247.5).

Some companies will always find a way to screw drivers over, 28 days is 28 days if your full time.
I know 4 on 4 off gives you a different entitlement as it’s practically part time, anything else should give you full entitlement.
Wouldn’t even consider working for them.

I understand the way it’s split down and why. My question is if it says 28 days shouldn’t I get 28 days regardless of 4 or 5 day week

If you get 28 days at 11.25 hours your getting 315 hours holidays. That means you get more days holiday than your co-workers. Is that fair ? If your only working 4 days your getting an extra day off anyway. 3 days not 2. Unfortunately you can’t have it both ways. Despite my feelings towards my ex workplace they are not screwing you over. But check with payroll if you think they have made a mistake with the maths.

Your missing the point. Contract says 28 DAYS not 252 hours

I’m not missing the point at all. If you were all on 5 days a week every week you would all get 28 days holiday. But your not. Some people are on 4 days a week, some are on a rota. Therefore to make it fair for everyone they must convert days into hours. I worked 4 days every week. I got 156 days off and my holidays. I didn’t get 28 days as my shifts were 11.25 hours. I think that was pretty good. If you want to query the contract go to Mark the union rep and I’m sure he will tell you I’m correct and that you’re not going to get anywhere with your logic.

So my contract should say 252 hours holiday then shouldn’t it

Mark ain’t union anymore

Are the words - pro rata - on the contract ?

Yes your contract should say 252 hours or pro rata. Mine did. But I didn’t work for XPO. Go to whoever is union then.

ROG:

to be honest I’m not sure

Pro rata only applies to the date of when you started concerning holidays rather than how many days you work a week. If your not sure it says pro rata how do you know it says 28 days not 252 hours ?

I remember it when I started with dhl as they told us it was because they don’t give bank holidays off unless requested

Yes that’s correct about bank holidays. But I think you’ll find it says hours. But the problem is they still talk about holiday days not holiday hours. My contract said 252 hours on a pro rata basis.

I’ll have another look into it when I get home. I understand the logic of all this I’m just clutching at straws with exact wordings if that’s what it says

I know but it’s pointless. The contracts are all standard tbh. They aren’t doing you over for once. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

pickandmix:

ROG:

to be honest I’m not sure

Can you find out ?

Yeah when I get home I’ll check