Stobart ooops, video

Drove past Stobarts slight ooops at the Ballieston Interchange earlier, my dashcam caught it :smiley: He must have been going some rate to get it through the barrier and that far into the oncoming lanes. Wonder what was in the container, cos it looks like it tried to come through the roof?

youtube.com/watch?v=M8H2sUKT70g

Did he not fasten the twist locks?? I always thought of a container goes over it would stay attached to the skel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea, I assumed the force of it had sheared the container off. Saying that, it’s quite far back from the rest of the truck, so who knows!

Couldn’t have done the twist locks up IMHO. The twist locks if left locked are strong enough for the whole motor to be lifted off the floor easily by a crane.

Round the corner and box had started to go and as the container has gone so has the truck and truck has slid on its side to its resting place IMHO.

Job centre queue for driver no doubt.

TNUK CSI , hold on lads and lasses, have a look at the roof of that container , the cargo looks bulky and made a big dent .
With containers having bolt locks, the driver can’t check if the load is unstable or top heavy .

Sounds very likely Simcor.

They use goose neck skells for 45’s. Basically the front slides along a channel that sits between the frame under the box, then two locking pins are mounted in the bottom corners horizontally as opposed to conventional vertical lock. Two conventional vertical locks on the rear. Very easy to lose a box from a gooseneck during a roll over. Not the best design, but it’s not supposed to end up on its side to be fair

I was following a container this week near Southampton. For some reason he managed to clip the n/s kerb as he exited a very large spacious roundabout and instead of the n/s wheels bouncing over the kerb they lifted about a foot off the ground and hung there for about 5 feet then gracefully came back down! It all happened so gently I wondered if the ‘driver’ even knew how close he came to going over.

Not even got his shirt tucked in scruffy get

All that nice newly built road too…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

OvlovJay has got the scenario spot on ! The gooseneck trl; and horizontal front pins are not a new design, I was pulling them around in the 80’s on contract to ACL out of Seaforth & Felixstowe the idea being lower centre of gravity and a lighter trailer giving more payload in the box. I used to be able to get under the Conway arch going to Holyhead with a normal height reefer box on with a gooseneck but not on a straight frame even with the suspension dropped.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Not really done much container work, so only aware of the straight frames… but that doesn’t sound like an ideal design - though I guess it’s like anything, perfectly suitable if you don’t go rallying it around corners.

Hadn’t noticed it before, but at the very end of the vid clip, you can see the scrapes on the ground where the container has came off pretty much right on the exit of the RA, so for it to go that far, and the unit / trailer to go so much further… im no physicist, but that must have been near enough flat-out :laughing: :unamused:

toby1234abc:
TNUK CSI , hold on lads and lasses, have a look at the roof of that container , the cargo looks bulky and made a big dent .
With containers having bolt locks, the driver can’t check if the load is unstable or top heavy .

Which is why you’re supposed to drive them sensibly, right? :smiley:

silly stobbie man,seriously though at least he wasn’t badly hurt,he injured his arm,could have been worse,the urine is extracted out of stobarts drivers but he’s still a fellow driver