Tomtom 6000 or garmin 770?

Hello lads I need to get myself a new satnav. I got caught out near Bridgnorth the other day with my normal tomtom so literally put the handbrake on and smashed the satnav of the floor I kept getting caught out!

I can map read but use gps as a pin point but since going to the most random of places for maritime I need to get myself a fancy truckers one.

My question to you which is better if any good at all? The tomtom 6000 or the garmin 770?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither, you have an iPhone which has a perfectly good satnav built into it. I never use satnavs, nothing could persuade me to waste money on such a useless object, look at a google map to find the place you are going to and when you get close, pull the map up and click on navigate, it will guide you there turn by turn.

I’ve got the TomTom Trucker 6000.
I’ve had it over a year and it’s been brilliant.
Free lifetime map updates but you have to renew TomTom Traffic \ speed cams after 12 months for a fee (around £35).
I had a TomTom PRO LIVE 5150 Truck before that which was brilliant too.

Loving the Garmin 770 at the minute but it can be annoying but being told when roads are closed and being diverted is good.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BIG LEBOWSKI:
Free lifetime map updates but you have to renew TomTom Traffic \ speed cams after 12 months for a fee (around £35).

+1 will add, you can subscribe to just the traffic, if your like me and don’t speed you won’t need the camera, or you can go for the 6000 that has lifetime maps, traffic and cameras.
YouTube proves dopy yank truckers need a truck specific satnav as well.

weeto:

BIG LEBOWSKI:

+1 will add, you can subscribe to just the traffic, if your like me and don’t speed you won’t need the camera, or you can go for the 6000 that has lifetime maps, traffic and cameras.
YouTube proves dopy yank truckers need a truck specific satnav as well.

I didn’t realise that you could just subscribe to the traffic.
I’ll bare that in mind next time I renew.

Had both. The tomtom is the better sat-nav. Traffic is also infinitely better than the garmins which is next to useless.

The only thing i will say about the tomtom though is the processor/memory seems underspecced leading to occasional short lock-ups. Annoying but still better than the garmin.

Had both and the Garmin is not a patch on the TomTom! Go Tomtom!

Another vote for the 6000. I had the older 5150 and it served me well. I managed to bag the 6000 for about £150 when Very.co.uk messed up the pricing. It was the lifetime edition too so free maps and traffic for the life of the product!

Someone let me down for the tomtom 6000 so I just went from burton to Wakefield to fetch the garmin 770 for £220.

I didn’t realise how big they are!! I’m gonna get pulled for driving whilst have a plasma on the windscreen! They are embarrassingly big :smiley: hope it worth a the dollar I just paid l.

Some of the places I deliver/collect since being on the containers are random as f! I kept getting caught out with my old satnav.

I have size 9 earth movers by the way.

What would help with the Garmin and maybe Tom Tom is if you could load up a place on your phone from Google map and then send it direct to the sat nav then it works out the best route for you.

Or go old school and read a map but I don’t have time for that and I’m not a snail stuck in the 80s

I use the Garmin and it does the job well enough for me just whatever you do, don’t follow it blindly !! It does have a tendency to take a long route from time to time. An example of this, I was heading to Ellesmere port a few weeks back from Chester way. So coming up the 53 it’s telling me to go right on the 56 and go on a wild goose chase for 26 miles. Ignored it carried on up the road and was at my destination 5 miles later.

On the other side of things, I was delivering sespool tanks on Thursday, these things are pretty much always delivered in the middle of nowhere where there isn’t any plumbing facilities. I had 3 drops,Bristol, Somerset and Dorset. The postcode bought my right to the door with these. It did want to send me down a road that looked abit too iffy near Dorset but like I said use your head and it’s a good tool to help

Pat Hasler:
Neither, you have an iPhone which has a perfectly good satnav built into it. I never use satnavs, nothing could persuade me to waste money on such a useless object, look at a google map to find the place you are going to and when you get close, pull the map up and click on navigate, it will guide you there turn by turn.

I’ve got a phone with Google Maps too. It doesn’t feature weight, height and width limits so is only good for cars.

BradCarTransporter:
I use the Garmin and it does the job well enough for me just whatever you do, don’t follow it blindly !! It does have a tendency to take a long route from time to time. An example of this, I was heading to Ellesmere port a few weeks back from Chester way. So coming up the 53 it’s telling me to go right on the 56 and go on a wild goose chase for 26 miles. Ignored it carried on up the road and was at my destination 5 miles later.

On the other side of things, I was delivering sespool tanks on Thursday, these things are pretty much always delivered in the middle of nowhere where there isn’t any plumbing facilities. I had 3 drops,Bristol, Somerset and Dorset. The postcode bought my right to the door with these. It did want to send me down a road that looked abit too iffy near Dorset but like I said use your head and it’s a good tool to help

I have one too and it’s sent me on some pointless diversions – it doesn’t seem to recognise underpasses that are not classified roads, so when you’re exiting Cobham services towards Leatherhead, it’ll direct you back up to Wisley (other direction) and back down. The other day I was coming out of Ampere Way (where IKEA is) in Croydon heading for Purley, and it directed me up the A23 towards London; I followed, thinking it would be taking me down Mitcham Road to avoid jams on the Purley Way, but no, it just didn’t want me to go under the underpass for some reason.

But, unlike the TomTom, at least you don’t have to wait a full second between touching the screen and anything happening. The user interface works.

JaxDemon:
What would help with the Garmin and maybe Tom Tom is if you could load up a place on your phone from Google map and then send it direct to the sat nav then it works out the best route for you.

Or go old school and read a map but I don’t have time for that and I’m not a snail stuck in the 80s

With Tomtom you can,via the tomtom app on your phone load the route on there then send it to your device so when you switch on the device your destination is already set