DGSA

A question for DD

Hi Dave…

Does DGSA certification obviate the need for a separate driver ADR; if wishing to drive a shift under ADR

I’m thinking of training for the DGSA and my ADR (packs) will lapse during the process.
I don’t need ADR at the moment; but would like to do some relief ADR work in the future after completing the DGSA

Just wondering if I need to maintain the ADR afterwards…

A superior qualification should cover all grades below, but this is transport and an opportunity to receive additional funds is seldom passed up :wink:

I prefer to think of cynicism as a feature rather than a glitch :wink:

Thanks for any light you might shed…

JP…

Unfortunately it doesn’t.

Ditto. I had my DGSA, still needed to do ADR. Bit like having a CPC, but needing to do DCPC if you want to drive.

Thanks v much guys…I suspected as much, I’m more dismayed than disappointed. It makes no sense at all!
Cheers…

one thing that always surprised me was that as a TM the buck stops here but as a DGSA it did not, and there is a big difference between ADR and DGSA exams,

JP50:
A question for DD

Hi Dave…

Does DGSA certification obviate the need for a separate driver ADR; if wishing to drive a shift under ADR

I’m thinking of training for the DGSA and my ADR (packs) will lapse during the process.
I don’t need ADR at the moment; but would like to do some relief ADR work in the future after completing the DGSA

Just wondering if I need to maintain the ADR afterwards…

A superior qualification should cover all grades below, but this is transport and an opportunity to receive additional funds is seldom passed up :wink:

I prefer to think of cynicism as a feature rather than a glitch :wink:

Thanks for any light you might shed…

JP…

Hi JP,

Sorry mate, but all of the above answers are correct.

If you decide to go ahead with your DGSA qualification, you’ll see that rather than the UK Govt. looking for fees for everything, it’s actually ADR that says the two qualifications are completely separate.

I’m afraid that a DGSA qualification will not cover you as an ADR driver.

From what I heard on my ADR, if you can do the DGSA exams and pass, ADR will be a relaxing week off work. Just seeing the two books for ADR and the cost of them is frightening.

I always thought the DGSA was the final person where the buck stopped for ADR stuff even beyond the TM if anything was done wrong?

trevHCS:
From what I heard on my ADR, if you can do the DGSA exams and pass, ADR will be a relaxing week off work.

Hi trevHCS,

That’s spot-on and a very good way of putting it if you don’t mind me saying so. :smiley:

trevHCS:
Just seeing the two books for ADR and the cost of them is frightening.

That’s only the start of it though, because those aren’t the only books a DGSA needs.
If we stick to ADR and roads, when it comes to UK national work, a DGSA also needs (at least:)

CDG 2009
CDG(A) 2011
ADTP 2012
DG EAC List 2017

trevHCS:
I always thought the DGSA was the final person where the buck stopped for ADR stuff even beyond the TM if anything was done wrong?

As required by ADR 1.8.3, a DGSA’s role is to monitor and advise.

The responsibility still rests with the Consignor, Carrier or Consignee as set out in ADR, but ADR recognises that they might not have the necessary knowledge to operate within ADR’s requirements, hence the need for them to have/employ somebody with the required ‘proper’ DGSA qualification.

As long as a DGSA gives accurate advice and performs a monitoring role, then he/she is in the clear, because although the duty-holder can contract out of the requirement to hold the qualification, they cannot contract out of their responsibility as Consignor/Carrier/Consignee as set out in ADR.

It then stands to sense that a freelance/contractor DGSA should have PI and PL insurances, as well as a valid DGSA certificate and being up-to-date with ADR knowledge.

Dave’s ADR Trivia:

It’s been that way in the UK since 01/01/2000.

Thanks Dave, Thanks all…

Is there a rough figure the cost of doing the DGSA course?
I did look into doing it a decade ago and I still have a stack of outdated books inc the 2 orange books that I bought back then

peirre:
Is there a rough figure the cost of doing the DGSA course?
I did look into doing it a decade ago and I still have a stack of outdated books inc the 2 orange books that I bought back then

Hi peirre,

I’d say you should have some change out of £1,000 once you’ve paid for the course and the exam fees.

BTW, you’ll need a whole set of new books because DG law has changed greatly in the decade since you last considered doing DGSA.