Failed driving assessment

RACHACE:
Just thought that I’d add that I’ve got nearly 5 years experience on general haulage carrying mainly steel and concrete beams/drainage to building sites. I’ve also used trombone trailers from time to time.

I shouldn’t have clipped the kerb and I should have took more care and attention to the roundabout I was approaching and the lapse in concentration when looking to spin round to get into position for a simple reverse into a bay was again all my own doing.

However these driving assessments are all a bit too serious and regimented in my opinion. I feel it was designed to trip you up and I was also given no prior warning that the assessment would be under strict test conditions, it was as if I was doing my test all over again. I also had a written part to do all on the highway code, again without any prior warning so no time to brush up on my knowledge.

I maybe naively went into the interview thinking it was going to be a chat about the job itself, maybe watch a trailer being loaded with cars etc to see how it’s done, see whether I could load and secure 11 cars and would want to do it as a career. I expected a driving assessment but more of a drive around to ensure that I was calm, confident and safe behind the wheel which I was. Clipping a kerb on an awful mini roundabout doesn’t constitute to anybody being a danger behind the wheel in my opinion and I feel it was a bit harsh as these types of thing do happen from time to time.

Also, had I been the assessor I’d have maybe just given the driver an extra little reminder about the difference in swing between the car transporter trailer and a regular trailer when looking to get into position. But that all might just be me looking for excuses to avoid responsibility for what at the end of the day was 2 mistakes on a driving assessment. :cry:

Are they a bit too strict though in your opinion?

I travelled 60 miles for that interview too :unamused:

It sounds like it was strict but given transporter jobs pay top money they expect top drivers.

You have made a couple of “little” errors but when your on assessment and trying your best and making these errors it is likely to worry them what you will do on a normal day. Regards the different trailer they probably expect you to know. Again top money is a top driver he knows this.

Just have to mark it to experience and try again