Particulate filter regenaration

Getting this warning symbol poping up on the dash… gaffer said it needs a good run on the motorway as it mostly only pots about on local work… forgive me I’m no mechanic but is this a bit like a dpf filter on a car and needs cleaning out or replacing now and again?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Giving it a decent motorway run is what you’d do before you take it to a garage. Diesel engines choke themselves on soot if you don’t let them stretch their legs. In a car or van, you’d have to maintain 2,000 revs or so for 15 continuous minutes with at least half a tank of fuel. I imagine it’s similar for trucks, but most of them have a regen button anyway if you feel like instructing the truck to do so.

Ragging it up the motorway would knock the worst of it out, personally I’m wary of doing that as it could potentially break something if it’s that bad, but if the gaffer has told you to do it, anything like that would be on him anyway.

My experience with cars and vans is that having it cleaned out doesn’t fix it any better than a good run, anyway.

Just take it onto the motorway and get it on the limiter and it will self regen takes about 30mins well my volvo does.If not get it up to working twmp leave it running and press the button and it will do it that way.

A regen button ay! I must of missed this on the dash

You don’t want to be replacing it unless you absolutely have to because they cost a fortune, several grand.

Berty:

Not all trucks have them. When you do have them, they’re often accompanied with a sticker telling you to turn it off in certain places - yards, etc. It’s the same logo as the one on the instrument panel with on, auto and off.

iomex:

Berty:

Not all trucks have them. When you do have them, they’re often accompanied with a sticker telling you to turn it off in certain places - yards, etc. It’s the same logo as the one on the instrument panel with on, auto and off.

In that case I don’t have one… cheers pal

Conor:
You don’t want to be replacing it unless you absolutely have to because they cost a fortune, several grand.

My gaffer will probably collapse if it came to that

Berty:

iomex:

Berty:

If it’s a DAF it won’t have a DPF at all, I don’t think. I was bored on my 45m break the other day and went looking for it in the manual as I couldn’t find anything on the dashboard relating to it. The manual stupulated that DAF PACCAR engines have super-duper fuel injectors which keep soot to below certain levels.

iomex:

Berty:

iomex:

Berty:

If it’s a DAF it won’t have a DPF at all, I don’t think. I was bored on my 45m break the other day and went looking for it in the manual as I couldn’t find anything on the dashboard relating to it. The manual stupulated that DAF PACCAR engines have super-duper fuel injectors which keep soot to below certain levels.

I haven’t searched for the manual yet as its a scania and I’m already familiar with the ins and outs but never had this warning symbol before… also the 3 over 3 gear box with a splitter as took some getting used too.