Leasing a car

Never leased a car, any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, after either Focus or Juke type vehicle, not concerned whether we own the car after 3 years or not, need a family car that will double up as wife’s transport for her mobile business. Around £150-£170 per month.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

A PCP (personal contract purchase) are the ones to go for, usually with a low or dealer contribution deposit and lowish monthly payments. Some have mileage stipulations so do your homework as to how many miles you do each year as going over the maximum miles is charged at silly rates. Its a very easy way into a new reg car and many many people do this now as opposed to financing on HP a used car.
Some contracts will include a servicing schedule, others you have to pay for yourself but as many cars now have big service intervals this shouldnt be too costly especially going for something mainstream like a Focus or Juke.
Theres also the option to purchase the car on finance or outright after the three year contract is up, usually called the MGFV (maximum guraranteed future value).
Hope this helps…

Agree…

The mileage. The usual lease deals are 10,000 miles per annum. If you think you’ll do more than that, then agree the extra in the contract. If you don’t, then the excess mileage charges are very expensive.

Find out the price of servicing. It may well be cheaper to pay for the servicing yourself as agreed service contracts can work out more expensive.

Make sure you’re happy with the hand back terms. Some lease companies will try and charge you for a squashed fly on the front number plate. The majority will accept minor sratches and wear and tear but check before you sign just how much they will accept.

Happy motoring.

Thanks guys, appreciated!

This is a good website for finding deals:

whatcar.com/car-leasing/

I think you’ll struggle to get a Focus for £150-£170 unless your stump up a sizeable deposit. You can pick up Juke’s for cheap though.

If you don’t want to own it, i’d recommend leasing as it can be cheaper, unless you can find a dealer that is offering a decent deposit contributions on a PCP. If you find a good looking deal on the internet, print off the quote, take it into a dealer and make them squirm when they make you a daft quote. You’ll be surprised how much they can magically knock off.

lingscars.com/

Unsurprisingly the best PCP deals are on cars with the best resale price at the end of the contract. When you look at the price, be sure to add up all of the costs over the whole contract, to compare with financing an outright purchase. I saw somewhere that the Skoda Yeti is one of the top five in this respect.

With PCP, you only have to pay the difference between the purchase price and the residual price plus the interest on the outstanding balance.- this is what makes those deals look so attractive. As mentioned above, the “fair wear and tear” terms are what catch many people out at the contract end. Of course, you can avoid this by choosing the option to purchase.

I have seen how they inspect cars and you might be amazed at the dents, dings, chips and scrapes they will find, they you were not even aware of. They will also check for any substandard repairs that may have been done. Think what it’s like when you return a hire car in Spain after a fortnight.

Are you sure a juke is suitable for a business :question: , I’m on my 2 nd one and even though the boot is meant too be bigger on later one its still not very big , that said I rarely see it as either daughter ( mainly ) and Mrs always have it :unamused:

Your choice, there are some good deals to be had, but when you hand it back, thats it…Personally, i would prefer H/P…at least its yours after 3/4 years…it neednt be a new one, maybe 2/3 years old so thats the route i would take. Look at it like a house, would you rather rent, or buy ■■

truckyboy:
Your choice, there are some good deals to be had, but when you hand it back, thats it…Personally, i would prefer H/P…at least its yours after 3/4 years…it neednt be a new one, maybe 2/3 years old so thats the route i would take. Look at it like a house, would you rather rent, or buy ■■

^^^that

Or even better, never buy a depreciating asset on finance, which I realise may not be possible, in which case I’d rather go for truckyboy’s HP.

truckyboy:

But car prices go down and house prices go up .

Leasing is the way to go if you really want to get your hands on a brand new car.I would want to buy the car after it has been out on lease though.You are shelling out a lot of money on some one elses car.I use a site called www.hotukdeals.co.uk and this topic comes up regularly.

£200 per month?? To drive a new car?? Absolutely bonkers. I pay that outright for a car. Run it till it fails the mot, or breaks down. Scrap it and repeat. Most cars will last a few more years. Why anybody would pay £20.000 plus for a car that looses 1/3 of that the moment you turn the key, I’ll never understand. And renting a car? I’d have more fun burning fivers in my stove…

Only works if you don’t care what the neighbours think though…

the nodding donkey:
£200 per month?? To drive a new car?? Absolutely bonkers. I pay that outright for a car. Run it till it fails the mot, or breaks down. Scrap it and repeat. Most cars will last a few more years. Why anybody would pay £20.000 plus for a car that looses 1/3 of that the moment you turn the key, I’ll never understand. And renting a car? I’d have more fun burning fivers in my stove…

Only works if you don’t care what the neighbours think though…

At least half the cars in the yard are ‘better’, ie newer/more expensive than my second hand vauxhall combo van, do I care, do I bu88er! I let someone else take the hit on depreciation and bought it when it was nearly a year old, I intend to keep it until it 's more or less run into the ground.

theguardian.com/money/2017/ … cial-crash

One of my drivers had a PCP, ran into money trouble and handed the car back . Kicker is, he still has to pay them £8k. So be very careful that you either will be able to pay the full term, or that you have the ability financially to hand the car back early.

/\ I agree.
I’d only consider doing this type of thing if I was on great money and as lorry driver lets face it, we’re not.
I drive a 13yr old vw bora. 142k miles, plenty of rust and still going strong. Its never broken down on me and I’ve only had to replace ‘wear and tear’ and service parts. A new car would be nice but I’d much prefer to use that money for nice holidays, motorbike parts and beer [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].

PCP is like financing a car in two parts. The first part is for half the value of the car which you pay back over x years. At the end of that, you can refinance the remainder (or buy outright) or give the car back, assuming the value of the car equals (or exceeds) the amount of outstanding finance.

It’s a really good way of getting a car that’s beyond your means!! :open_mouth:

rob22888:
This is a good website for finding deals:

whatcar.com/car-leasing/

I think you’ll struggle to get a Focus for £150-£170 unless your stump up a sizeable deposit. You can pick up Juke’s for cheap though.

If you don’t want to own it, i’d recommend leasing as it can be cheaper, unless you can find a dealer that is offering a decent deposit contributions on a PCP. If you find a good looking deal on the internet, print off the quote, take it into a dealer and make them squirm when they make you a daft quote. You’ll be surprised how much they can magically knock off.

My present juke 16 plate cost 13,495 with 5 miles on clock , pre registered , accenta premium , think brand new there round the £19 , 000 mark , previous was a 64 plate visia , 5 miles on clock and cost £11,995 and 2 years apx later got £9,500 Px for it , not convinced of the looks of them , but ever so comfy ( high up driving position ) , very cheap too run ( diesel ) and go ok .
Paid cash for both , they did put a pcp before me when I got first one but think it was £170 apx , didn’t fancy that so paid cash
But as we change cars very regular I’m not sure whether it would be a better route , think we may try it once just too see

Ling, as linked to above, has a good reputation for fair dealing.

It’s not for me, don’t do payments or pay anyone interest, but with the increasing complexity of cars and the valid dangers of owning some of the things out of warranty, i can understand why many go for leasing/PCP and just chuck it back after 2 to 4 years and get another, what would worry me is another financial crash, which we’re due for and in a far worse state nationally than last time to weather it, and end up owing £thousands for something you no longer need nor want and definately can’t afford should the crap hit the fan.

Juddian:
Ling, as linked to above, has a good reputation for fair dealing.

As a one time customer many years ago I feel I must tell you this,
Call her, I dare you to , ask a straight question, tell her what you want and you will get an answer straight away, none of the " I’ll have to ask the boss" stuff , she is the boss and can explain everything until you fully understand. Oh and hopefully still as mad as a box of frogs. Look at this lingscars.com/webcams.php then compare with a main stealer…
try

Her website is something else, kaleidoscopic, good on the girl, she dared to be different and has made a serious business light hearted.