Best Truck Driver Roads in the UK & Europe

What’s your favourite road for driving your truck on in the UK and Europe?

Are there any roads that make your journey easier?

Share your thoughts…

My favourite road is the one leading to my yard lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree…its the one that takes me home… :smiley:

Seriously…theres not many i enjoy in the uk…most of the roads i like are in europe…none in particular, but enjoy my times over the water regardless…The views are much better, Hungary, Romania are nice, but there are a lot more with fantastic views.

Nowhere pleasant in the UK but several on the other side of the channel.
I used to enjoy the road in Spain from Sagunto to Zaragoza then onward to France either via Jaca or Pamplona.It’s motorway standard now but I recall when parts were packed earth before tarmac arrived.

From Martigny through Valais and over the Simplon.The combination of massive scenery and open road is arguably as good as anything which North America can provide.

The M48 probably the quietest motorway in the world (said in my best Jeremy Clarkson voice)

No good roads in the uk? You have to be kidding. Go through the middle of Wales. Scotland. Some parts of the Pennines are nice, as is the Lake District. But that would mean getting away from the safety of the motorway. …

Compared to many parts of Europe the UK hasnt got anything good to offer whatsoever. Best aka most beautiful road in Europe just has to be the Serpentine leading to Sa Colobra beach Mallorca…

Any were in Norway,its fantastic. Evan in the winter time me think :open_mouth:
But maby mot the best Roads but you have some fantastic wiews.
Danne

Iagree with Danne.The best,and toughest '‘long distance’'road has got to be the E6 from Oslo up to Kirkenes.

I do agree with Carryfast that the Simplon is a lovely road. Interesting to drive and (on clear days) spectacular scenery. Driving along, looking up at a truck winding uphill, realising that in 15 or so minutes youll be there yourself. The French side of the Blanc is particularly good too, the Italian side has too many tunnels now. Running downhill from the tunnel platform, running past the "Wall Of Death" corner and looking across at the "Ski Slope". On the Autoroute des Titans coming out of the 3.5km Tunnel Chamoise through a cliff face, straight onto the 1.9km Viaduct Neyrolles soaring over the lakes of Nantua and Sylans. Terrific road engineering, and wonderful scenery. The N106 from between Ales and Marvejols, hard work with a heavy load, but guaranteed to keep you awake: 120km with no more than 100 metres straight and level ! What about the Portugeuse IP5? Drive that at full weight with no retarder, and youve driven a road. “Gears to go / brakes to slow” would kill you on that road.

Coastal roads?
The Spanish N340 south of Algeciras. Ive only travelled that once, but that was a summer sunset; past the Pillar Of Hercules, looking over the water at Africa is monumental. Again, Ive only done it once, but the road from Ajaccio to Porto Vecchio, (to deliver a boat) then on around the coast to Bastia is a beautiful corniche.

For autumn colours maybe any wine making area? The Burgundy has the dept 21 “Cote D`Or” or Golden Banks. An autumn sunrise will cast a golden glow over the vines, making a chilly wind seem warmer.
At sunset go on top of the hills over Beaujolais and the vines fall into shadow, as the sun, behind you, illuminates the alps 200km away. Breath-taking.

Beats watching the smog settling over Heathrow from a stationary traffic queue on the M.25. . . . .

AndrewG:
Compared to many parts of Europe the UK hasnt got anything good to offer whatsoever. Best aka most beautiful road in Europe just has to be the Serpentine leading to Sa Colobra beach Mallorca…

I have to take issue with that Andrew , the A835 north from Inverness via Ullapool up to Scourie is the most beautiful drive in my experience . Dave

went down to campletown once what a stunning drive that is got to be the best in the uk

I’ve always liked the A1 around Berwick where you’re right by the sea. I’ve always like sea view roads on a sunny day

OVLOV JAY:
I’ve always liked the A1 around Berwick where you’re right by the sea. I’ve always like sea view roads on a sunny day

Looking across to Lindisfarne at sunrise. . .great. And watching great waves crashing onto a beach, from a warm dry cab, of course.

Franglais:

OVLOV JAY:

Looking across to Lindisfarne at sunrise. . .great. And watching great waves crashing onto a beach, from a warm dry cab, of course.

The A1 is probably my favourite road in the country, but that whole section is my particular favourite

OVLOV JAY:

Franglais:

OVLOV JAY:

The A1 is probably my favourite road in the country, but that whole section is my particular favourite

Got to agree with you there

yorkshire terrier:

OVLOV JAY:

Franglais:

OVLOV JAY:

Got to agree with you there

Long time since I’ve been that way but yes remember it being quite spectacular. also like bits of the A55 where you seem to hang off the cliff.

As Franglais says the run down the French side of Mont Blanc and the bit further along where they stuck the motorway on the side of the valley, just impressive bit of civil engineering.

Did a run from South East to North West of Spain a couple of years ago, the bit from Madrid to Zaragoza was particularly impressive, the view seemed to be better every time you went round a bend or over a hill.
Went from Nice to Lucca in Italy this week, wasn’t so much the scenery as it was late at night, but the road is like driving the maddest race track, bend after bend, was driving a car and trailer not a truck though, Brian James trailers do handle well. :laughing: Would be a road to drive a GT car late at night.

muckles:
Went from Nice to Lucca in Italy this week, wasn’t so much the scenery as it was late at night, but the road is like driving the maddest race track, bend after bend, was driving a car and trailer not a truck though, Brian James trailers do handle well. :laughing: Would be a road to drive a GT car late at night.

Im no Porsche fan, but the car would have to be a Carrera, wouldnt it?

I’ve ridden some beautiful roads in France, Italy and Switzerland but I still enjoy driving over Woodhead pass any season.