Experienced driver first time over the water

Hi guys, wondering from your experiences as to what to bring for the week? Any tips/advice, and also purchasing a cb? iv been driving local (northern Ireland) for 8 years or so and am now changing companys and will be across the water all week now (scotland/england) thanks. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Keep the cards legal and brush up on the rules around boat movements easy to get caught out on them, depends on who you are working for as to how much interest VOSA will take in you, the EE’s have taken a lot of us pressure now. Best place to get a CB bought and fitted is Forton services on the M6 about £100 will get a decent rig and fully fitted, also there is a man at the Golden Fleece at Carlisle who sells and fits cb’s. Until you get a cb fitted keep below 50mph on the A75 and you will be ok, or just run with the pack, once the cb is fitted then take your chances like everyone else and keep 'er lit

mazzer:
Keep the cards legal and brush up on the rules around boat movements easy to get caught out on them, depends on who you are working for as to how much interest VOSA will take in you, the EE’s have taken a lot of us pressure now. Best place to get a CB bought and fitted is Forton services on the M6 about £100 will get a decent rig and fully fitted, also there is a man at the Golden Fleece at Carlisle who sells and fits cb’s. Until you get a cb fitted keep below 50mph on the A75 and you will be ok, or just run with the pack, once the cb is fitted then take your chances like everyone else and keep 'er lit

Dude at the Fleece is no longer there, last I heard and guy at Forton is a thieving barsteward, so I’ve been told.

A.

Buy cheap water in Lidl for week.
Get £10 gas stove/GREEN bottles gas outta NIbargains or Poundland.
Few tins soup/beans etc and easy cook rice/noodles.
Buy cheap frying pan/big pot/small pot plus utensils and good to go.
Baby wipes plus kitchen roll.
Those Air-wick auto fresher sprays good too for inside cab.
“Zoflora” small disinfectant bottle well watered down into spray bottle is good for footwells and bunk if sharing truck at weekends or steering wheel stinks of “fegs”!!!

Dude at the Fleece is no longer there, last I heard and guy at Forton is a thieving barsteward, so I’ve been told.

A.
[/quote]
Fair enough don’t go over the top that often now and when I do it is usually dark o’clock in which case I don’t know anyone who fits cb’s try J13 M1 for buying one don’t buy out of Lymm far to expensive a half decent mechanic in the yard should be able to fit one.

Cheers lads much appreciated! [THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN]

barry292028:

Who you on for??

Not a frigo Subbie I hope/pray!!![emoji52] [emoji6]

Big Truck:

barry292028:

Who you on for??

Lol if he is it will be one steep learning curve :frowning:

mazzer:

Big Truck:

barry292028:

Who you on for??

Lol if he is it will be one steep learning curve :frowning:

Possibly expensive one too!!![emoji6]

Possibly mvh lads? Or i have the chance of trips way manfrieght? Or do i stay and do it with mcb??

barry292028:
Possibly mvh lads? Or i have the chance of trips way manfrieght? Or do i stay and do it with mcb??

100% stay with McBurney as do the hours and break £600+home!!!

MVH wages are a joke and the boss is well,
“special”!!!

Manfreight are
“champagne trucks lemonade wages”
They are STILL paying £100day home for trips out Fri/Sat night FFS!!!
Hear tell of drivers stuck in GB for 24HR NO backload or extra wages just the £200trip!!!

Maybe I’m bit biased but Sawyers hard to beat for decent money/trucks/hours/work!!![emoji41]

Thanks yeah think il just stay with mcb and try week in week out.

I would stay where you are or go to Sawyers, the other two are notorious for their low level of wages and as Big Truck said, get stuck anywhere with no backload and it is no pay

The only real negative I’ve heard about McBurneys are you can get “bad manners” from the office on a regular basis but this was just from a few drivers.

Thankfully never had anything similar@ Sawyers,
good men are valuable and looked after there!!! :sunglasses:

The office staff are 100% been working there guts of 3 years. N the work is fine. Just doing 13-14 days n only paid for 12 is getting to me.

Your a driver and you drive a truck and if you dont know what to bring with you when you are away then you should stay at home, if you have to ask here then there is no hope for you its common sense how do you expect to get from a to b when you have to ask how to look after yourself while you are away

Have u never ask for a bit of a advice?? Its morons like you ruin the proffesion! Genuine drivers do tend to look out for there own etc.

nightline:
Your a driver and you drive a truck and if you dont know what to bring with you when you are away then you should stay at home, if you have to ask here then there is no hope for you its common sense how do you expect to get from a to b when you have to ask how to look after yourself while you are away

T1T

mazzer:
Keep the cards legal and brush up on the rules around boat movements easy to get caught out on them,

That`s the best advice here IMHO. Check on ferry movements rules and the rest will be easy.

barry292028:
The office staff are 100% been working there guts of 3 years. N the work is fine. Just doing 13-14 days n only paid for 12 is getting to me.

How does that work “13/14 shifts/days and only paid for 12”
(Surely not working days unpaid??)
or do you mean maxed out hrs on “locals” and on a set daily take home wage??