Becoming an od (help and rates)

Hi guys!
I’ve been on here a while and this is my first post so forgive me if its in the wrong area of the site. I have been thinking about becoming an od I am 23 years old and have decided it’s what I’m going to do! So over the last couple of months I’ve sat both tests and passed got my cpc and drivers card. I have also done a sit for my operators cpc (waiting to find out if I passed or not)
Now I’m looking at potential yards and where to keep the unit/units I’m a little unsure of where to go as it is proving to be difficult to find something that will be approved? I’m based in Southwales and really don’t won’t to get somewhere that I can’t get my operators and having to change as the capital is going to be reduced because of this!
My plan is to apply for two lorries on the licence along with two trailers. But I will start with only one until I find my feet. I was thinking about trying to get into the waste with a walking floor but am unsure if I can find contract or subcontract work doing this and am thinking if it would be best to try and sub general for a while as I think this is where I can find contract/subcontract work. I am proactively looking for work before I set anything up and was wondering if you all can pass on some knowledge on what would be best initaly for both pay and simplicity for set up. I know everyone asks these questions but if you don’t ask you may never know.

The plan is to buy the unit and lease a trailer just encase things change

Thanks again matt

You want to try and get a contract hauling popcorn, nice and light for the diesel and a huge demand for it

OVLOV JAY:
You want to try and get a contract hauling popcorn, nice and light for the diesel and a huge demand for it

Where would i look for a contract with popcorn?
Have you had any experience subbing? If so what are rates like in today’s current climate?

Matt4ew101:

OVLOV JAY:

Where would i look for a contract with popcorn?
Have you had any experience subbing? If so what are rates like in today’s current climate?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ trucknet csi being a bit mischievous. :grimacing: popcorn. Lol. :laughing:

Just passed test, never driven a lorry for real so don’t even know the basics, going to start own business running a lorry. What could possibly go wrong? After all its just as simple as get a truck, get a load and away you go…

I’d get familiar with the bankruptcy process because you’ll be there inside a year.

Want some advice? Go work for someone driving their trucks for four or five years until you actually learn something and then decide whether you want to set fire to your money. Its a bit more involved than driving a van around moving stuff for people on Facebook.

OVLOV JAY:

Lol nothing else left to say. I think the irony was probably lost on the OP.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I should add though someone shouldn’t be knocked for having ambition. Yes it’s hard and fuel costs and ever rising costs make it hard work. But it can be done and be profitable enough for one guy with one truck, and you can have satisfaction working for yourself. But as said actually working in the industry beforehand and having more of an idea certainly helps. But then again a lot of companies are started by people or shareholders that have no knowledge of a business from a day to day perspective.

Conor:
Just passed test, never driven a lorry for real so don’t even know the basics, going to start own business running a lorry. What could possibly go wrong? After all its just as simple as get a truck, get a load and away you go…

I’d get familiar with the bankruptcy process because you’ll be there inside a year.

Want some advice? Go work for someone driving their trucks for four or five years until you actually learn something and then decide whether you want to set fire to your money. Its a bit more involved than driving a van around moving stuff for people on Facebook.

i know there is a lot more to driving a lorry hence why I’m asking for advice while I’m doing market research! I totally understand that you have to be a
in the industry to know certain things and I know this isn’t going to be over night and not once did I say I would launch a company without driving first! I’m simply try to understand the market as best as possible and thought this maybe somewhere to get advice…

simcor:
I should add though someone shouldn’t be knocked for having ambition. Yes it’s hard and fuel costs and ever rising costs make it hard work. But it can be done and be profitable enough for one guy with one truck, and you can have satisfaction working for yourself. But as said actually working in the industry beforehand and having more of an idea certainly helps. But then again a lot of companies are started by people or shareholders that have no knowledge of a business from a day to day perspective.

Absolutely hence why there are almost more directors in transport under the age of 25 than drivers. I grew up around transport my dad owned lorries and Its something I’ve always wanted to do.

I have a large quantity of popcorn to shift, how much do you charge?

the nodding donkey:

This is vaige but…
inwould first work out my standing costs for the company
I.e insurance+hp+building costs to give me a total I would then divide this by the number of km covered pa … Equation - Figure divided by km then times that the Kms covered.

Then I would simply work out my running costs
Example tyres…
Life span estimated 40,000km

6x tyre cost divided by Kms = ( then times this number by the Kms )

Again for maintenance and fuel sums change slightly but you already know that!

From this I’d then have a total cost of completing the job of moving your beloved popcorn then I would add my mark up giving me the cost of the job

At least the OP has ambition rather than plodding along through life working for an employer. Why line someone elses pockets when you can fill your own…

Is it school holidays already?

I’ve got a few tonnes of ground nuts need moving, in exchange for moving them I’ll give you a share of the profit

Matt4ew101:
Absolutely hence why there are almost more directors in transport under the age of 25 than drivers. I grew up around transport my dad owned lorries and Its something I’ve always wanted to do.

Even giving a lot of latitude to the word ‘almost’, I’d like to see the stats behind that one.

There’s been a lot of questions about being an OD on the Operators board. This was probably the longest running

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=139939

Matt4ew101:

the nodding donkey:

This is vaige but…
I.e insurance+hp+building costs to give me a total I would then divide this by the number of km covered pa … Equation - Figure divided by km then times that the Kms covered.

Example tyres…

From this I’d then have a total cost of completing the job of moving your beloved popcorn then I would add my mark up giving me the cost of the job

Quick shortcut, cost of driver + fuel should be around 50% of your price. Far easier to work out.

I’ll not knock you for trying, I did it myself 26 years ago and managed to build a firm out of it, but I had a lot of luck and did a lot of things that even by 80’s/90’s standards were questionable :open_mouth: . It’s a hard job to make pay.

You are coming across as a little naive and as your Dad owned lorries, I would have thought that a lot of this stuff you would know. If your Dad is still around, then he’s the man to ask.

albion:

Matt4ew101:

the nodding donkey:

This is vaige but…

Example tyres…

Quick shortcut, cost of driver + fuel should be around 50% of your price. Far easier to work out.

I’ll not knock you for trying, I did it myself 26 years ago and managed to build a firm out of it, but I had a lot of luck and did a lot of things that even by 80’s/90’s standards were questionable :open_mouth: . It’s a hard job to make pay.

You are coming across as a little naive and as your Dad owned lorries, I would have thought that a lot of this stuff you would know. If your Dad is still around, then he’s the man to ask.

I know it’s difficult and and I have picked up a lot over the years and I wouldn’t say that I’m a complete novice. And maybe I was naive thinking that a forum site would actually give someone advice. It’s crazy to think not one comment has been positive about the questions asked but more to my credibility on becoming an od.

albion:

Matt4ew101:

Even giving a lot of latitude to the word ‘almost’, I’d like to see the stats behind that one.

There’s been a lot of questions about being an OD on the Operators board. This was probably the longest running

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=139939

I said almost just to be safe as the information was from late on 2015 but There was a lot more managing directors at that point but recruitment levels in youngsters must have came along since then?!

Matt4ew101:

albion:

Matt4ew101:

the nodding donkey:

This is vaige but…

Example tyres…

I know it’s difficult and and I have picked up a lot over the years and I wouldn’t say that I’m a complete novice. And maybe I was naive thinking that a forum site would actually give someone advice. It’s crazy to think not one comment has been positive about the questions asked but more to my credibility on becoming an od.

Actually both simcor and AndrewG have been positive, Conor’s advice to get more experience under your belt is good advice even if not given in a hand holding fashion and I’ve given you a shortcut on how to work prices out - and I’ve been in business for 26 years, so I’ve got a clue.

I started with a van age 29 (having been in haulage since the days of having to be lifed into my Dads cab cos I was too little to climb in), rubbish rates, subbing for whoever, started work for plastics company, got a few more vans, then a 7.5, then a second base and some artics. My advice echos others, get a few years driving under your belt first - that’s not patronising, it’s advice from someone that has seen far more fail than manage to keep one truck going, nevermind get that elusive second one on the road.

MDs maybe overall, but not purely of transport companies. And the make-up of MDs is a moot point, MD doesn’t seem to mean what it once did. :unamused:

22172801.jpg
And the best of luck mate…your gonna need it. :bulb: