Living the dream...really?

Last couple of weeks I have seen this a few times, written on the back cab panels of trucks. ‘‘Living the dream’’

I mean, each to his own and all that, and whatever floats your boat or turns you on, …but 'Living the dream?
Driving a ■■■■ truck? :open_mouth:

Call me old old fashioned here, but my idea of ‘Living the dream’ would be a Simon Cowell type lifestyle, Aston Martin in the garage, millions in the bank, lying on a beach in Mauritius being served cold beer by a couple of ■■■■■■■ Holly Willoughby lookalikes. :sunglasses: and that’s just for starters with my furtive imagination.

Driving a V8 Scania down the M6 pulling a tipper trailer, as an alternative? Let me think about that one for a fraction of a second. :laughing:
Some drivers have no ■■■■ imagination. :unamused: :smiley:

I’m living the dream. Trouble is, it’s my bosses dream :stuck_out_tongue:

OVLOV JAY:
I’m living the dream. Trouble is, it’s my bosses dream :stuck_out_tongue:

To true :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Id go along with that…not that id drive a truck if i won the lottery but imho what i do at the moment im pretty sure i couldnt better it… :sunglasses:

…bar having to bodge/repair the old tilts we drag along… :laughing:

lottery/euro win,thats living the dream,but then that’s probably all it will ever be,a dream

No i haven’t got a message scrawled on the back of the cab, nor do i have the bhp or engine cylinder configuration stencilled on the fuel tank, however i have been known to keep me alloy wheels and fuel tank polished from time to time.

But aside from that, lets get real, for most of us there’s a reason or several reasons we drive lorries.

me?

1. it’s what i always wanted to do, though with constant dumbing down of the job requirements it’s true to say it doesn’t give the same job satisfaction any more.
  2. i hate being inside, can’t do office politics, miserable buggers get me down, don’t want to have to be around the same people all the time, love being out and about with a certain amount of job freedom (while that slender margin of freedom is being eroded).

So i’m a working class geezer, i go to work early most mornings, prepare then drive me lorry to wherever, tip me load, return to base, and bugger off home early afternoon most days, i look after me kit so might have washed down before i left might wash it down after i get back, might or might not have to load for a night man if the lorry’s going out, thats it basically, short hours short working weeks due to shift pattern, and paid rather well for that easy life.
Now where the hell else can i find a job with a 43 hour week that pays this well for basically doing bugger all other than delivering product?
Best of it all is in our game, the older you are and more experience you have (and a provable work record to confirm), the more desirable you are to the better employers out there, what other industry could i possibly work in where i get all that and not be chucked on the scrap heap at 55 or replaced by a younger willing or better looking or more snazzy young donkey with ■■■ appeal.

So yes, maybe in some ways i am living the dream, as are many other drivers, the reality that is of normal working class geezers.

Would i want to be rich, well in all honesty no, had my circs been different i wouldn’t have met the good lady, to whom money social standing materialism or the accoutrements of wealth and privilege mean nothing.
We have a nice home and a life that we enjoy, doing the things we want to.

Lorry driving has had its ups and downs, but i struggle to think of anything else i’d rather have done, overall i’m living my realistic dream.

Juddian:
No i haven’t got a message scrawled on the back of the cab, nor do i have the bhp or engine cylinder configuration stencilled on the fuel tank, however i have been known to keep me alloy wheels and fuel tank polished from time to time.

But aside from that, lets get real, for most of us there’s a reason or several reasons we drive lorries.

me?

1. it’s what i always wanted to do, though with constant dumbing down of the job requirements it’s true to say it doesn’t give the same job satisfaction any more.
  2. i hate being inside, can’t do office politics, miserable buggers get me down, don’t want to have to be around the same people all the time, love being out and about with a certain amount of job freedom (while that slender margin of freedom is being eroded).

So i’m a working class geezer, i go to work early most mornings, prepare then drive me lorry to wherever, tip me load, return to base, and bugger off home early afternoon most days, i look after me kit so might have washed down before i left might wash it down after i get back, might or might not have to load for a night man if the lorry’s going out, thats it basically, short hours short working weeks due to shift pattern, and paid rather well for that easy life.
Now where the hell else can i find a job with a 43 hour week that pays this well for basically doing bugger all other than delivering product?
Best of it all is in our game, the older you are and more experience you have (and a provable work record to confirm), the more desirable you are to the better employers out there, what other industry could i possibly work in where i get all that and not be chucked on the scrap heap at 55 or replaced by a younger willing or better looking or more snazzy young donkey with ■■■ appeal.

So yes, maybe in some ways i am living the dream, as are many other drivers, the reality that is of normal working class geezers.

Would i want to be rich, well in all honesty no, had my circs been different i wouldn’t have met the good lady, to whom money social standing materialism or the accoutrements of wealth and privilege mean nothing.
We have a nice home and a life that we enjoy, doing the things we want to.

Lorry driving has had its ups and downs, but i struggle to think of anything else i’d rather have done, overall i’m living my realistic dream.

ill second that

“Living the dream” is as retarded as having “Super” written on a Scania tipper.

Like most of us in this game, I have often wondered what on earth I am doing and why i’m not in a 9-5 gig with a predictable home life. Or why I haven’t yet taken the plunge and gone career climbing so I can drive a 17 plate BMW around and go on expensive foreign holidays like the boss.

Ultimately there is a reason why I have never rejoined that crowd, it’s because I know I probably wouldn’t like it. Office politics, tedium of the same surroundings everyday, working in close proximity to people I don’t like, stress, pressure, out of hours meetings, homework; all things I never have to worry about driving a truck. There is a lot of good in just turning up, collecting your instructions and clearing off for the day, coming back, switching off and going home.

Hell, I have a degree in web development and 12 months of working in that sort of environment was enough to see that off.

Like virtually everybody else in society, there are times when I am fed up with what I do for a living, but overall i’m happy. I’m at home when I want to be much more than i’m not, I am financially comfortable with what I earn, I mostly enjoy my job & don’t dread Mondays, happy homelife. It’s not all bad this driving lark.

I enjoy all the time I get at home, doing the things I like to do.
I enjoy my job.
I look forward to going home to my girlfriend.
I look forward to going to work for a few days.

Is that living the dream?

Muckaway:
“Living the dream” is as retarded as having “Super” written on a Scania tipper.

Is that on a level with having a ‘12 turbo six’ badge on a newish Volvo? :wink:

A couple of you have missed my point, I aint having a knock at the job, or trying to attract a comparison with other jobs.
I’m just questioning how it can be ever described as ‘Living the dream’ no matter how content or even happy you are with it.
Hey! Maybe it’s just me, who knows. :neutral_face:

robroy:
A couple of you have missed my point, I aint having a knock at the job, or trying to attract a comparison with other jobs.
I’m just questioning how it can be ever described as ‘Living the dream’ no matter how content or even happy you are with it.

Some of us dream of driving trucks. Some of us dream of being famous wrestlers…

robroy:

I dont think any job no matter what it is could possibly be described as actually ‘living the dream’ Rob. Living the dream would be doing what you want to do most in life which wouldnt include work of any kind imho…

AndrewG:

robroy:

I dont think any job no matter what it is could possibly be described as actually ‘living the dream’ Rob. Living the dream would be doing what you want to do most in life which wouldnt include work of any kind imho…

As someone who has wanted to travel or move around, since my early teens , and has never felt ‘home’ or settled wherever I have had an address for mail purposes, being provided with a (small :sunglasses: )space to call my home, that happens to move my bosses means of making money, allowing me to watch the world go by… And getting paid for it… I’ve loved this job. Still do.

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

Some of us even dream of being a lead singer in a heavy rock band. :smiley:

robroy:

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

Touchè :laughing: .

(Well, those of us with enough hair do…)

robroy:

It may depend on the age of the person behind the wheel - at 24 in my 6 legged erf I was living my dream, couldn’t get enough of it. But if I was heading off at 4am the morrow morn for another week on the road at not far off 60, that definitely would not be living the dream.

I was up the river the day with the wife and dog, just sat in the warm sunshine doing nowt - I could very nearly have been wearing the ‘Living the Dream’ T-Shirt. But the lack of hard cash and the reality that I will have to do the dcpc bolloxs and start looking for a job sooner or later means I can’t quite pull that T-Shirt on just yet. :frowning:

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

the nodding donkey:

Touchè :laughing: .

(Well, those of us with enough hair do…)

That’s about as close as he got! :grimacing: