Did the cycle course yesterday

It wasn’t too bad, learnt nothing new, but I guess that’s to be expected on a course designed for 5 year old primary school kids.

Enjoy, you’ll all be doing it soon.

Is that the one that has to be done with the FORS or whatever its called…NO way Jose…sorry but i am a professional hgv driver, the last time i rode a bike was 55 years ago, and certainly has nothing to do with driving a truck, i would refuse on those grounds, it doesnt give me any perspective on what cyclist face in their daily lives, and i`m not a akin to lycra either, and a plastic crash helmet.

No problem is there? 10minutes to walk around it. Check all lights are ok. You dont know if youll be delayed so can absolutely refuse to take it out if lights are u/s. Do a risk assessment, taking account of how likely you are to have a heart attack, because of the high colesterol breakfast youve just eaten. If there are too many trucks on the route planned Id refuse on safety grounds. Ill happily ride my mountain bike on a cycle track or along a rocky edge, but I aint stupid enough to cycle in a town centre! FFS, I even know some lorry drivers and I certainly don`t trust them.

did it last year for FORS…
Complete load of ball hooks…

the cycle trainers were a couple of lads who normally train kids and monkeys to ride bikes.

we also had one driver who was too unfit to ride a bike and they still credited him with doing the full 7 hours.

truckyboy:
Is that the one that has to be done with the FORS or whatever its called…NO way Jose…sorry but i am a professional hgv driver, the last time i rode a bike was 55 years ago, and certainly has nothing to do with driving a truck, i would refuse on those grounds, it doesnt give me any perspective on what cyclist face in their daily lives, and i`m not a akin to lycra either, and a plastic crash helmet.

That’s the one. we got taught how to turn left out of a junction, how to do a u turn, how to turn left into a junction, and then how to turn right out of a junction. This bit was the tricky one so the instructor did a demonstration first. We also got taught how to check the wheel nuts, how to check the saddle wasn’t loose, and how to check the handle bars were straight. Also we were shown how to operate the bell, and how to work the brakes.

You’ll love it.

Don’t think the instructor liked it when I commented that the cyclists with a ■■■ on and no helmet biking to work weren’t the problem, but the Lycra clad idiots in helmets in my experience. Him obviously being of the latter description.

Can`t really blame Europe for this one lads, can we?

Tris:

truckyboy:

That’s the one. we got taught how to turn left out of a junction, how to do a u turn, how to turn left into a junction, and then how to turn right out of a junction. This bit was the tricky one so the instructor did a demonstration first. We also got taught how to check the wheel nuts, how to check the saddle wasn’t loose, and how to check the handle bars were straight. Also we were shown how to operate the bell, and how to work the brakes.

You’ll love it.

Seriously, they have you riding a bike in traffic ? I think I would just say I don’t know how to ride a bike

Since sort of retiring riding a bike is pretty much all I do, just love it, about 3000 mile last year, but I only go on quite little country roads where I will see another vehicle once every few miles. There is no way I would ride in a town centre with lots of cars and wagons whizzing about, I have spent too much of my life watching farkwits and numpties who are clueless on how to drive to share the same road space with them on a little bicycle.

If I ever have to do a FORS course I’m just saying, sorry mate I never learnt.

whiplash:
Can`t really blame Europe for this one lads, can we?

You can actually. Hundreds of thousands of EE’s swarming over here stealing our jobs - they all drive cars (mostly untaxed with foreign plates I might add) adding to the congestion, and thus encouraging more numpties to get on bikes.

Bluey Circles:

Tris:

truckyboy:

You’ll love it.

Seriously, they have you riding a bike in traffic ? I think I would just say I don’t know how to ride a bike

Since sort of retiring riding a bike is pretty much all I do, just love it, about 3000 mile last year, but I only go on quite little country roads where I will see another vehicle once every few miles. There is no way I would ride in a town centre with lots of cars and wagons whizzing about, I have spent too much of my life watching farkwits and numpties who are clueless on how to drive to share the same road space with them on a little bicycle.

If I ever have to do a FORS course I’m just saying, sorry mate I never learnt.

We were only allowed on what he called class 2 roads (I think), to go on a class 1 road we’d need to have taken the advanced course designed for 6 year olds first.

Tris:
It wasn’t too bad, learnt nothing new, but I guess that’s to be expected on a course designed for 5 year old primary school kids.

Enjoy, you’ll all be doing it soon.

Not a cat in hells chance will I be doing it

Tris:
We were only allowed on what he called class 2 roads (I think), to go on a class 1 road we’d need to have taken the advanced course designed for 6 year olds first.

WTF is a class 1 & class 2 road ? or do they mean you get to pull a trailer -
Whos going to be the first to pull one of these over the A66 - I wouldn’t put it past some nutter to give it a go.
google.co.uk/search?q=bike+ … _pTM-JoVZM:
:open_mouth:

surley this farkwit is taking the pish ?

Trukkertone:
did it last year for FORS…
Complete load of ball hooks…

the cycle trainers were a couple of lads who normally train kids and monkeys to ride bikes.

we also had one driver who was too unfit to ride a bike and they still credited him with doing the full 7 hours.

Exactly the same,split into two groups one group in classroom in morning one group on bikes then change round,ended up doing cycle manoeuvres outside local pub 2.30 in afternoon on last day before Christmas much to everyone’s amusement except ours

Why so negative? I’ve done it, got paid to do it and it counts as a mod towards your cpc had a laugh doing it as well,

Not until I’ve got new knees and that’s not happening any time soon, because I can still get some sleep at night, so that means they don’t hurt enough to qualify.

Davhat:
Why so negative? I’ve done it, got paid to do it and it counts as a mod towards your cpc had a laugh doing it as well,

I said it wasn’t too bad, but as an exercise to learn something it’s a complete waste of time. If you need to go on a course to teach you to give cyclists room and to be considerate and observant of them then you really shouldn’t be driving.

The cycling course is for the driver to go in a cross rail site , the operator needs fors to get cross rail

Just turn up and read the paper like any other DCPC course. You don’t need to participate in DCPC courses so just refuse to ride the bike.
What happens if you get knocked off and injured?

When I did it a couple a years ago there was a couple of smart arses who tried the can’t ride a bike trick. They were given a paper map and told where to walk to so they could observe the rest of the group at the junctions, roundabouts etc. and told that if they didn’t turn up they wouldn’t pass.

Still a waste of time, but my lot loved it as the course as free!

what not being said is you dont go cycling all day as 3 hours in a class room then for a few hours on the bikes within a couple of miles of the classroom and some of the courses can be used for the dcpc

For all the bravado, posturing and opinions, it’s mostly fear of the unknown that prevents the average driver wanting to put themselves out there for this. Of course, being an industry of huge peer pressure, nobody will just come out and say:

“I don’t want to do this because; It scares me/I fear ridicule by my mates/I am overweight/I am too unfit/I am worried about what people will think.”

It’s pretty simple really. The customer demands FORS/CLOCS/Crossrail from the company or they don’t get the work. I deal with all the compliance at our place and it’s a massive amount of work and hassle, but it needs doing so I get it done. Part of that is drivers are required to go on the course, so they go, or we find drivers who will.

In the end, after all the nonsense, at our place all the drivers have gone quietly. Not had a single one chuck their job in over it yet, despite the threats. Most of them came back having reported enjoying it.

Words and actions; often very, very different things.